UK-v US..the differences in culture?

Johnthed0g

4/5/10 in the states = April 5, 2010. In the Uk it is the 4, May, 2010.

A qustion about eating out: Often in the states my husband and I would share a starter (appetizer here), and then share an entree as we find it is to much for us to each have an entree. Is that acceptable in the UK? thanks deb

Here in the US, sharing an Appetizer or dessert is acceptable, but I would think it's a bit of a stretch to divide an entree between to people. Deb, I expect you get some looks from the waiter when you do that, right?

Rich

I've certainly had no problems in the last couple of years or so with asking for one dessert and two spoons. But I've never tried to share a main course.

Of course, it's different in some Indian or Chinese 'buffet' restaurants. There, you might get several different choices each in a single dish, e.g. one dish with Chicken Saag Masala, another with Tandoori Chicken, etc, and in that situation it's perfectly acceptable for diners all in the same party to spoon as much or as little as they want of each onto their plate. Also on those circumstances everyone will tear off bits of naan bread from a large naan in the middle of the table, and the waiter will be under instructions to bring a new freshly-cooked one when the old one has vanished. That means everyone is eating freshly-cooked, warm naan - which is delightful.

Here in the US, sharing an Appetizer or dessert is acceptable, but I would think it's a bit of a stretch to divide an entree between to people. Deb, I expect you get some looks from the waiter when you do that, right?

Rich

In the US portions are BIG. We often share. We get no looks, believe me. Often, before ordering, we will ask how big the portion is and if it is large enough to share. Most good waiters/waitresses will give an honest answer.

Rich

I have never gotten ill looks or comments from the waiter/staff. The portions are just to big for us. In fact last night the staff split the plate for us and couldn't even finish it. Sometimes there is even a sharing charge listed on the menu as this is not an uncommon practice here. It is not that we object to paying, we just think there is to much food to eat and we don't often eat the leftovers. Even splitting dishes, we often pay over $50 for us ( and this is not in a major city where prices are not as expensive as say, NYC or LA). It is just not uncommon here as it may be in other places (as evidenced by a sharing charge listed on the menu).

Archived