UK-v US..the differences in culture?

Johnthed0g

That's a tough one for me... I'm raising a daughter who was born in the US but trying to teach some English manners. To me, we were given two hands for a reason and one of those reasons is to employ both hands when eating. One holds the fork, one the knife. I always find it puzzling to watch Americans chasing food around their plates with just their fork when they could use the knife to scoop it onto the fork... Likewise, I don't care for the sawing action many employ to cut their meat, stabbing it with the fork and sawing at it with the knife.

I know it's a cultural difference and neither way is superior, but overall I do think the British way of doing it looks a little more refined at the table. My American husband is even learning to put his knife and fork together at "6.30"on the plate to tell the waiter he's done with his meal.

I was born in Britain, but raised by Scottish parents in Canada. My mother was h*ll on wheels where manners were concerned, and we were taught to eat with the fork in your left hand and the knife in your right hand (and there were a bunch of rules about when tines should face up, and when they should face down).

According to my mother, it was considered a complete breach of etiquette to cut with your fork and knife, then to put your knife down, transfer your fork to your right hand and keep on going.

I always thought that people who used the transfer method and ate with the fork in their right hand just hadn't been properly trained in table manners. I was fully an adult before I learned that the zigzag American Style was proper etiquette in the US.

I was actually told by an American acquaintance at a dinner conference in the US that it was impolite not to switch your fork to the right hand after you had cut your meat! (It came up as a topic of conversation, not as a critique of my table manners). ;)

As mentioned by the OP, it is rarely about what is right and wrong in any absolute sense, but rather, what is appropriate within any particular culture. I believe it is always helpful to know something of other cultures when you are travelling, so as to offend as little as possible, so I think threads like these can be very informative, particularly if they can maintain a friendly tone.:)

I think a major cultural difference is that in the US it is difficult to get a decent cup of tea. No one here knows to warm the pot and if you order it in a restaurant you get a tea bag in a cup of lukewarm water.

You're doing better than me in that case. I usually get a teabag beside a cup of lukewarm water! :)

Lisa

Likewise, I don't care for the sawing action many employ to cut their meat, stabbing it with the fork and sawing at it with the knife.

:eek: I'm glad I'm anonymous on here.

Ok, how do you cut the meat without a little sawing action, isn't that what the serrated edges on a knife are for?.

*Reaches for Mrs Bouquet's book of etiquette *

Sausages have really become an art form in the UK.... There are so many varieties of all different kinds of flavors and sizes, from tiny chipolatas and cocktail sausages to big thick bangers. There's a huge range of choice and a lot of variety in price too. In the US there only ever seems to be half a dozen types and they're all cooked already! English sausages are fresh and have to be cooked before they are eaten.

I do miss the sausages a lot. My daughter eats them like crazy when she's in England but won't touch the American ones.

We have loads of types of sausages in the US, depending on which part of the country you are in. Often, they have different names I have only seen sausages previously cooked at places where you want to eat fast...

You're doing better than me in that case. I usually get a teabag beside a cup of lukewarm water! :)

Lisa

What gets me is what are you supposed to do with the bag?? You get a cup, and a bag but no saucer, and nowhere to put the bag!! I see people drinking from the cup with the bag still in, but I always end up having to ask for something to dump the bag in...

But in grocery stores I only ever see the same old few types, usually just Italian ones, or those ones that are already cooked... Bristol Farms does carry a ton of gourmet style sausages.

I think in a lot of ways, it grows out of those in the UK only going to tourist areas. I live in Pa and you can probably find a dozen types of sausage just in this state. There are other places to buy food than in grocery stores.

I think in a lot of ways, it grows out of those in the UK only going to tourist areas. I live in Pa and you can probably find a dozen types of sausage just in this state. There are other places to buy food than in grocery stores.

Here's a question that will show up my extreme ignorance as I have only been to tourist areas in the US and would shop in Walmart, Target etc..

BUT... are there butchers shops in the states?

No one has mentioned the manners differences. Our recent dining table had 4 Americans and 4 from Wales. My elder statesman tablemate from Wales asked me after the 3 or 4th night why we did not use knives to eat with. They always had a knife in their hand for the full meal and always ate with 2 hands. I explained I had been taught to eat with one hand and the other remains in the lap except when a knife was needed. He said he wondered what I was doing with the hand in my lap :)

Not from the US nor from the UK, but "we" also eat with fork and knife.

Here, if you eat something and use only one hand (for example soup or ice cream), it is considered inpolite to not have your other hand on the table. :)

Here's a question that will show up my extreme ignorance as I have only been to tourist areas in the US and would shop in Walmart, Target etc..

If you mean shops that sell primarily beef, lamb and pork, and some also offer chicken as well, yes, there are. They are less common now, but there is one at the north end of our town that has been in business for years. The one closer to our house closed recently. The local market around the corner also has butchers on hand during certain hours to cut meat to order. We were recently in California, and went to a tiny little butcher shop in Glendale; fabulous steaks and meat there. Just looked in the phonebook; under butchers it says, "see Meat, retail", so guess the term is fading...

I am so enjoying this thread; we have wonderful friends in Scotland and the UK and the language differences have been a topic of conversation quite often! The funny thing is, we always called our son's pacifier a dummy. Not sure why we did, but we did... :D

Yes there are but their numbers are getting smaller due to the large stores taking most of their business......

Yes there are but their numbers are getting smaller due to the large stores taking most of their business......

It's the same in the UK which is a shame as the meat is definitely better, and possibly cheaper, from a local butcher.

I live in Ireland and although Supermarkets are springing up all over the place most towns will have a thriving local butcher, some with their own abattoir where they kill the animals they have raised themselves.

Yes the knife and fork stumps me also. Even small children eat with a knife and fork once they no longer use a spoon (babies and toddlers)

I can't think of anywhere in the world where they only eat with a fork other than the US and I am unsure about Canada.

Certainly Australia Europe etc etc none eat with just a fork.

Another thought In the US people drink their coffee with or before dessert where as every other part of the world I can think of eat dessert followed by coffee.

In some Countries in Europe cheese is eaten before dessert rather than after as we do in the UK.

This could go on and on !!

Sue

Sausages have really become an art form in the UK.... There are so many varieties of all different kinds of flavors and sizes, from tiny chipolatas and cocktail sausages to big thick bangers. There's a huge range of choice and a lot of variety in price too. In the US there only ever seems to be half a dozen types and they're all cooked already! English sausages are fresh and have to be cooked before they are eaten.

I do miss the sausages a lot. My daughter eats them like crazy when she's in England but won't touch the American ones.

One of the reasons English sausages are not copied or sold on the American and Aussie market [there are plenty of English butchers] is that they do not have eneogh meat content that is demanded by the government offices

I too am enjoying this thread and though it will be 13 months beforeI get to the cruise out of Southampton next year, I look forward to the mixed cultures.

I am in the South USA in Georgia. Sausage to me is pork, either in a patty or a small link, uncooked when purchased, and generally spicy. Then there are hotdogs, brats (bratwurst), and smoked sausage (which to me is the same thing as a brat). But if you say sausage to me or my family, what we are thinking of is a pork patty, shaped like a hamburger patty, though generally smaller. Also if you go to a fast food place and order a sausage and biscuit, that it what type of meat you should expect. Julia

I do have one question though. I know the difference between our bacon & Canadian(there's is more or less a slice of ham!); but how does bacon from the UK differ:confused:?

Don't be fooled, richsea. Canadians call "Canadian bacon" ham. Our bacon is no different than what your version of bacon in the US is. The term 'Canadian bacon', I think, must just be for the amusement of non-Canadians.

We also only say "eh" for the amusement of our American friends as well.... ;) :D

Yes there are. I prefer purchasing meat, pork, and fish products from a local butcher. In upscale groceries, you can usually find butchers that will custom cut anything you wish.

Back to the differences on cruises... it seems that on formal nights on say P&O, the dress code applies from 6pm shipwide & is widely adhered to with 95% of men wearing Dinner jackets. But on =X= the formal nights seem loosely observed & then only in the dining room.

Archived