Favorite Mediterranean Itenerary?

pamfj

I'm planning ahead and dreaming on a dreary Saturday...

For those of you who have sailed the Med, what is your favorite itenerary?

I can't seem to find a Silversea cruise that includes Morrocco, but maybe I have not looked hard enough. I don't want to skip Italy and Greece, but don't want to miss something spectacular I had not thought to consider.

We retire in three years and then can consider longer cruises, so will probably save this trip for then. I would appreciate input from you seasoned sailors.

I'm planning ahead and dreaming on a dreary Saturday... For those of you who have sailed the Med, what is your favorite itenerary? I can't seem to find a Silversea cruise that includes Morrocco, but maybe I have not looked hard enough. I don't want to skip Italy and Greece, but don't want to miss something spectacular I had not thought to consider. We retire in three years and then can consider longer cruises, so will probably save this trip for then. I would appreciate input from you seasoned sailors.

Generally, most of the Med cruises seemed more focused on either that eastern or western part. Many will do Italy and then go either east or west . . . OR, just focus mainly in and around Italy. It might be possible to combine a couple of back-to-back seven-day cruises. Clearly, they are ALL wonderful . . . Italy, Greece, Turkish Coast, Barcelona, France, etc. Then, there is the chance to do more before and/or after your cruise in places such as Venice, Athens, Istanbul, etc. Lots of great options!!! In only 7-10 days, it's hard to cover all of the way from Morocco to the Turkish Coast.

Below are a few visuals from what you can enjoy in Greece and Turkey.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

Our first views of Istanbul from our docked ship:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

At Bodrum along the Turkish Coast, here's a religious tower and view of the town in background:

MintTower.jpg

Narrow flowered street in the Greek Isles of Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Outdoor dining in the historic Athens areas called the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Ah, you bring back memories - both Pam for your question, and Terry for your quite wonderful photos.........

The best cruise we ever took was in 2002, 10 days on SilverSea, from Rome (Citiveccia) to Athens. Our intinerary took us down the boot of Italy over into the Agean, through the Greek Islands, stopping at Mykonos and Corfu, then up the Adriatic to Venice, stopping at Dubrovnik and Hvar, then back to the coast of Greece, visiting some of the ancient Olympic sites - ending at Athens.......we did a short flight on our own over to Santorini for a couple of days. We went in May, and it was beautiful. Ship was half full (remember this was the summer after 9/11, and people were not traveling much.). Wonderful memoriees. :D

Ah, you bring back memories - both Pam for your question, and Terry for your quite wonderful photos.........

THANKS, Sue, for the nice comments on the pictures! Just to brighten any efforts for planning ahead and dreaming on a dreary Saturday, here are a few more for Athens, Turkish Coast and Greek Isles. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoying a bright, sunny day in front of the famed Parthenon:

ParthenonPosing.jpg

A view from below the Parthenon:

ArcopHill.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

A lower-angle view of the Parthenon:

ParthLowAngle.jpg

We enjoyed a night concert in front of the historic library at Ephesus:

NightLibrary.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

I can't seem to find a Silversea cruise that includes Morrocco, but maybe I have not looked hard enough.
SS visits Casablanca fairly regularly, but I can't recommend it. Morocco is well worth visiting, but a land tour is probably better than a cruise. For the best of Morocco, you should consider visiting Fez, Marrakesh (at night, in particular) and perhaps the Atlas Mountains. A week would be enough, and tours in comfort are readily available.

TLCOhio, Thank you for sharing your extraordinary photos. They are truly beautiful!!!! Time to start planning for 2011.

THANKS, Maineac! We super loved the Maine Coast that we had a chance to see in 2007. Below is one of those pictures from Arcadia National Park. My wife wants to move there.

Below are a few more ideas for places to see and enjoy in the Med. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Along the beautiful Maine coast, here is a scenic lighthouse near Bar Harbor:

BarHarLighthouse.jpg

Corinth's temple columns with the mountains overlooking the town in the background:

CorinthHills.jpg

The Corinth Canal is nearby and is a unique engineering job carved through about 260' of rock. The canal is four miles in length, 75' wide and was built between 1881 and 1893:

CorinthCanal.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor:

Nap.jpg

On the Greek Isle of Patmos, here is top of the church at the Holy Monastery of St. John.:

PatMonst3.jpg

Terry, I always get excited when you announce that your photos will be following as it is a huge treat to view them. They can come in unexpected places and they are truly lovely!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! We loved San Diego from our one visit there. Nice, nice area. Loved La Jolla so, so super much!!!! It's heaven on earth!

Happy to post more pictures. Where are you considering in the future for upcoming cruises? Best for pictures that I have done in Europe. Am digitizing more from previous trips in Italy, Spain, etc., that were shot on that old stuff called "film". Such history! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry,

We've cruised to Alaska, the Med, the British Isles and the Baltics so some of your pictures are of places we've been. That's always fun!

We're booked for the Arctic in June (on Regent) and the Antarctic (on PA11) in 2011. I look forward to your fjord pictures, indeed. And any other pictures you wish to post!

Carolyn

Terry, We've cruised to Alaska, the Med, the British Isles and the Baltics so some of your pictures are of places we've been. That's always fun! We're booked for the Arctic in June (on Regent) and the Antarctic (on PA11) in 2011. I look forward to your fjord pictures, indeed. And any other pictures you wish to post! Carolyn

THANKS, Carolyn! Will be posting more pictures in the future. Don't want to clog up this thread too much with pictures from outside of the Med area originally mentioned. Keep watching. Look forward to hearing more on your future adventures. In Central Ohio now, I'm feeling like the Arctic is here right now. We've got well over a foot of snow on the ground now. More to come. Wind gusts up to 40 mph coming. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived