dinner in curacao??????

brockmom

Out of the abc islands ...We are in port late in Curacao....can anybody reccomend a nice restaurant to eat at??/ The only one on my list is El Greco...which i can't see the website to book a reservation. ( Ate there in Arba...fantastic!!)

We love steak and seafood....

thanks tons

Brockmom

What is the big attraction of dining ashore at the various ports? Taking advantage of excursions and grabbing a fast lunch, I understand, but shore dining? Why spend the extra money for meals that most probably won't be any where near as good as what would be served that night in the MDR, let alone at PG, etc.? I'm not really as cheap as I'm making this question sound, I've just often had less than quality meals when trying to dine locally. I guess my age is showing.

Two of our favorite places to dine in Curacao are Fort Nassau and the Avila Beach Hotel. You can google both.

Ft. Nassau offers panoramic views of Curacao if you are there early enough to dine before sunset.

The Avila also has a music place- "Blues", as well as dining.

Curacao has many good restaurants- you have a big choice.

What is the big attraction of dining ashore at the various ports? Taking advantage of excursions and grabbing a fast lunch, I understand, but shore dining? Why spend the extra money for meals that most probably won't be any where near as good as what would be served that night in the MDR, let alone at PG, etc.? I'm not really as cheap as I'm making this question sound, I've just often had less than quality meals when trying to dine locally. I guess my age is showing.

Typically you don't stay in most ports late enough for dinner so it's not been an issue for us. We have grabbed a fast lunch in a port several times as we didn't want to go all the way back to the ship. Only once have we had dinner on shore and that was a very late (midnight?) departure on the Oosterdam and it was the barbecue night which can be kind of a hassle. We had a great dinner in a local restaurant overlooking the ship that night.

What is the big attraction of dining ashore at the various ports?
We like to try the local cuisine where possible. Just part of the attraction of cruising. We don't go to a shore restaurant and look for the kind of food we would get on board ... nor French food in a Dutch port! :)

That's like saying you wouldn't go to a French restaurant in the U.S.
No, it's not. In my first sentence I said "We like to try the local cuisine where possible." My point is that I want to go to someplace that I can't find easily near home, and eat what the waiter suggests is representative of the local food.

I would go to a French restaurant in France, or a French island like Martinique or St Martin perhaps ... but not Curacao.

Curacao is one of the ports where dining at the port can be quite an experience- especially when the atmosphere is special. That's why I suggested Fort Nassau or the Avila, as both offer unique surroundings.

We enjoy unique surroundings- for instance when in Nassau one day, we had tea at the British Colonial Hilton- a memorable time. The hotel has a beautiful interior and views to the harbor.

If I remember correctly Sail7Seas recommended a restaurant on a beach on either Curacao or Aruba. Perhaps she or someone else can provide you the link to that restaurant.
IIRC, it was "downtown" Aruba, not on a beach.

The best restaurant of Willemstad used to be Larousse. Unfortunately the owner-chef has been shot 2 years ago.

Fort Nassau is good and is special because it's located high above Willemstad, so great views!

I would recommend Le Bistro, close by the cruiseterminal, with view on the sea and the bridge that connects the two parts of Willemstad. It's french cuisine with a caribbean twist, but certainly better then the MDR!

And you can sit outside!

Archived