Shopping - Contraband Items?

JasmineC

As a Canadian, and traveling to/from the US, we are constantly being reminded of items we cannot bring across the border (beef & chicken products, citrus fruits, etc.). What types of things would I find on an Eastern Caribbean cruise (Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Martin) that might be contraband when coming back on board or through customs? I was considering looking for native art & handicrafts and some neat food items/drinks/alchohol. TIA for any replies

coconuts....

We saw natives selling coconuts and they really, really wanted us to buy one from them. We were pretty confident that the ship would not allow us to bring them aboard the ship.

This was in St Thomas.

We have pics of one guy. We call him "The Coconut Man". What a cute memory.

Anything relating to turtles isn't allowed either. Found this on a Cayman site, but it applies in general to bringing it into the US.

"When leaving Cayman, visitors from the US should be aware that products made from farmed green sea turtles such as available at the Cayman Turtle Farm may not be taken back home. The importation of genuine sea turtle products is strictly prohibited by any countries which have signed the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (1978) including the US, Canada and UK. In addition, US Customs prohibits the transshipment of turtle products through the US. Any products discovered will be confiscated. You will not be allowed to bring back any plants or plant seeds, vegetables or fruits unless you have official permits from US Customs. Otherwise, these will be confiscated by Customs at US gateways."

When I travelled to England last year, I had the same concerns. We left Toronto for London, then on to New York and back to Toronto. We checked the regulations for both the US and Canada on the way back, and for England on the way over. Most of the countries were similar in their regulations, such as limiting food, alcohol, and tabacoo. As well as restricting items of culture from another country and products from endangered species (such as ivory and pelts/skins).

We brought home tea (from England of course!), chocolate, mints, cookies, wine, liquors, souvies, etc. with no problem. The deli sandwich I bought at La Guardia raised a few questions when I got off the plane in Toronto....Mainly because I forgot to declare it at customs!!!

Best advice, check the regulations for both the US and Canada. Go by the strickest regulations and everything should be fine.

Archived