Upgrade once on board?

jancy

Hi All,

We are doing a 14 day Shanghai back to back in July on Legend,booked through a TA here in Aussie. My question is we booked an internal cabin and have just queried the upgrade price to a balcony and have been quoted an extra $1000 each!

Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone got a good upgrade once on board. We are crown and anchor members but don't think we can request upgrade through RC web site as booking is through TA.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Regards

Jancy

Hi All,

We are doing a 14 day Shanghai back to back in July on Legend,booked through a TA here in Aussie. My question is we booked an internal cabin and have just queried the upgrade price to a balcony and have been quoted an extra $1000 each!

Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone got a good upgrade once on board. We are crown and anchor members but don't think we can request upgrade through RC web site as booking is through TA.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Regards

Jancy

If $1000 is a good deal or not depends a bit on what you already paid for your cruise and your personal preferance. On a 14 night cruise $1000 comes down to little less than $71.43 per night and to me it would be worth it having a balcony vs. an inside. I would grab it.

Unless you are a D+ C&A member there´s no point in contacting RCI directly about upgrades, as if they are given it´s a random pick, not something asking for would really help. Now if you are D+ you can request an upgrade a few weeks prior to sailing and see if it can be grnted, though I´m not sure if it would work from inside to balcony.

Every paid for upgrade has to be through your TA.

Once onboard your chances are slim to none. If you want it do it now.

There´s a slight chance at the pier, you´d have to check-in first and then before boarding see the pier coordinator, but again lately there haven´t been to many pier upgrades (Those are paid for upgrades).

If $1000 is a good deal or not depends a bit on what you already paid for your cruise and your personal preferance. On a 14 night cruise $1000 comes down to little less than $71.43 per night and to me it would be worth it having a balcony vs. an inside. I would grab it.

Unless you are a D+ C&A member there´s no point in contacting RCI directly about upgrades, as if they are given it´s a random pick, not something asking for would really help. Now if you are D+ you can request an upgrade a few weeks prior to sailing and see if it can be grnted, though I´m not sure if it would work from inside to balcony.

Every paid for upgrade has to be through your TA.

Once onboard your chances are slim to none. If you want it do it now.

There´s a slight chance at the pier, you´d have to check-in first and then before boarding see the pier coordinator, but again lately there haven´t been to many pier upgrades (Those are paid for upgrades).

Do D+, C&A members get a complementary upgrade or is there a charge?

Do D+, C&A members get a complementary upgrade or is there a charge?

If it´s given it´s a complimentary upgrade, but don´t get the wrong idea, it´s not like every D+ member gets a guaranteed upgrade.

Upgrade to D+ members are given a couple of weeks prior to the cruise based on availability and number of Cruise Credits, so people with most cruise credits would be getting them first at least in theory.

However there´s a bunch of D+ (including myself) who never saw an upgrade.

If it´s given it´s a complimentary upgrade, but don´t get the wrong idea, it´s not like every D+ member gets a guaranteed upgrade.

Upgrade to D+ members are given a couple of weeks prior to the cruise based on availability and number of Cruise Credits, so people with most cruise credits would be getting them first at least in theory.

However there´s a bunch of D+ (including myself) who never saw an upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I'll call and see what happens. I have 30 cruises under my belt with RCCL and another 20 or so with other lines.

With the inception of quality revenue management, cruise lines, especialy RCI, work inventory levels very diligently weeks prior to a departure. They for example, if all insides are sold and there are a quantity of outsides, they will upgrade already booked insides to an outside thus allowing them the opportunity to re-sell a lowest cost cabin and thus generating an extra $1,000 or so for a sailing.

Moves from inside to balcony are rare if not darn near non-existant. Also, lows cost upgrades at the pier are a thing of the past. Places like CC spread the word that you could get a deal at the pier, RCI was smart enough to figure this out and so pier upgrades now have a much higher cost associated with them.

Best bet; Buy what you want, hope for the best, but do not expect anything more than what you already have purchased.

Thanks for all your quick responses.

Quite happy to pay for an upgrade, just was not sure if I was being ripped off by TA.

Hubby and I will do a quick budget and see how we go.

regards

jancy

On our Grandeur cruise last week, there was a big sign that "upgrades are available" at the guests services desk on the ship. I didn't even think about because we had a great cabin with a wonderful balcony at the back of the ship, so I can't tell you what the upgrade was nor how much it was but it was available.

every cruise when we have got on the ship there is always a sign at guest relations that says "no upgrades available" like on the last one when we went to bermuda as the hurricane was going through there was alot of people canceled and it showed on the website there was a ton of rooms available a couple days before but when we got on there was the sign i dont get where they all go?

Archived