RCCL-Explorer with 1 1/2 yo

barriekins

We have a 9 night trip on hold for August on the explorer out of NY. Last year we were on the Liberty and my daughter had a great time and ate up all of the attention. We're a little worried because there is no diaper splash area on the explorer. Does anyone have any experience on this class ship with an almost 2 year old?

Thanks!

Some folks will bring a small blow-up pool for their child....a few inches of water should be fine to splash in....plus, on port days, you can go to the beach and they can play in the water as much as they like!

Or, you have time to start working on the potty-training thing....

They have the Adventure Beach. So what you could do is to bring a small inflatable and put it at Adventure Beach. I know it may get kind of rough because she may want to go jump in there too :( -- but at least you'll have a place to splash and you won't have to keep an inflatable at the main pool. :)

I've always wanted to do the 9 day Explorer. Its so close that I could drive to the port. Maybe some day. :D

The Explorer has Adventure Beach with a small pool (less than a foot of water) and a small slide (in addition to the larger pool and slide next to it). When we went it was never crowded (actually desolate most times)and there wasn't anyone enforcing the rules. So, I'm sure that many a toddler with little swimmers has used that small pool.:)

The Explorer has Adventure Beach with a small pool (less than a foot of water) and a small slide (in addition to the larger pool and slide next to it). When we went it was never crowded (actually desolate most times)and there wasn't anyone enforcing the rules. So, I'm sure that many a toddler with little swimmers has used that small pool.:)

But that's the problem, officially, and for the baby's own protection, no, she isn't suppose to be in there. The reason is that Explorer doesn't have the filtration system in place that Liberty of the Seas (or Freedom/Indy/Oasis) does.

So if another little toddler was in the pool before you. And that other little toddler happened to have something. And then you put your infant in - you risk your infant getting very very ill. :( Unlike on land, there is no chlorine in those pools to combat the germs.

So for the baby's own safety - I wouldn't risk it. I've had a 8 month old medavacced off a cruise ship - it's not fun. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. :(

Thanks for your responses! I guess bringing a small inflatable pool is our best bet. We're getting a good deal for the Explorer and we won't have to deal with flying to the port, so I guess not having a splash area is a trade off!

silly question - but where do you dump out the water when LO is done swimming in the inflatable pool on deck?

I had the same question. You know, I see the inflatable pool suggestion all the time, but on the 27 cruises that I've been on, I've never seen anyone actually doing it. You have to blow it up, find water to fill it, find a place where you're not in other passengers way and then dump it without creating a hazard for passengers. I think it's far more trouble than it is worth.:rolleyes:

Oh my, what happened?

My youngest caught something on the Disney Magic when she was 8 months old -- my husband found her seizing and barely breathing in the pack n play -- long story short they intebated her, stabilized her and we got her to Port Canaveral Medical Center -- she's 5 now.

silly question - but where do you dump out the water when LO is done swimming in the inflatable pool on deck?

There are a couple of places - ask a crew member for a janitor's sink - you can drain it there. Some use the shower drain. Some use the pool drain. Obviously, they don't just dump it back in the pool. Or we would hope not. ;)

Archived