Describe your night on Silversea

justin2travel

I am preparing for my first Silversea cruise in March. Very Excited!! Anyhow, the boards have been very helpful with my many questions. We are trying to figure out our evening activities and most importantly, what to wear. What have you all done and enjoyed aboard Silversea?

Okay, here is one woman's opinion about the best part of SS evenings. What we do is perhaps stop in the bar for a pre-dinner drink and canape or two, and then go to the Main Dining Room around 7:00 - 7:30. I particularly enjoyed the formal nights, because the wonderful band they had on our Alaskan trip on the Shadow last June, played great jazz and on formal nights they transferred to the dining room. We ate, and danced, and ate our next course, and danced, and it was so memorable. It reminded me of the old supper clubs of the 50's, like the famous Mocambo, and the Crescendo, and Latin Quarter, here in Hollywood. (I saw Cesar Romero dance once at the Latin Quarter, but that's another story.) I understand the new Spirit has a niteclub, and if they achieve the ambiance of the clubs of old, it should be pretty great.

After dinner we would go up to the Panorama Lounge, where the band would regroup and begin to play again for dancing and listening.

I must say we attended very few shows. We DID enjoy Donnie ____ - the main cabaret singer entertainer. He was wonderful - a sort of Nat King Cole kind of singer. In fact, he gave a tribute show to Nat Cole during the cruise.

So for us, no gambling, no big shows - just good food, dancing, and enjoying each others' company.

My hubby brought his tuxedo, and wore two different jersey dresses with dressy jackets. Jersey packs well too. But, you would feel comfortable in a dark suit as well. On non-formal nights hubby would wear a sport coat, maybe tie maybe not - I would wear a dress, or pantsuit.....comfort and easy packing is the key.

Okay, here is one woman's opinion about the best part of SS evenings. What we do is perhaps stop in the bar for a pre-dinner drink and canape or two, and then go to the Main Dining Room around 7:00 - 7:30. I particularly enjoyed the formal nights, because the wonderful band they had on our Alaskan trip on the Shadow last June, played great jazz and on formal nights they transferred to the dining room. We ate, and danced, and ate our next course, and danced, and it was so memorable. It reminded me of the old supper clubs of the 50's, like the famous Mocambo, and the Crescendo, and Latin Quarter, here in Hollywood. (I saw Cesar Romero dance once at the Latin Quarter, but that's another story.) I understand the new Spirit has a niteclub, and if they achieve the ambiance of the clubs of old, it should be pretty great. After dinner we would go up to the Panorama Lounge, where the band would regroup and begin to play again for dancing and listening. My hubby brought his tuxedo, and wore two different jersey dresses with dressy jackets. Jersey packs well too. But, you would feel comfortable in a dark suit as well. On non-formal nights hubby would wear a sport coat, maybe tie maybe not - I would wear a dress, or pantsuit.....comfort and easy packing is the key.

THANKS, Sue, for this super summary and very positive information on your smart plan to enjoy your evenings on Silversea! We did Seabourn in June 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast and Crystal in late July 2008 for the Baltics and Russia. It looks as if Silversea will fit nicely in that spectrum of size and experience comparable to what we enjoyed so much with Crystal and Seabourn. Looking forward to our July 1-16 Silver Cloud adventure along the Norway Coast, seeing the fjords, Arctic Circle, etc.

I will save these various ideas and approaches and share them with our friends who are going with us on this trip. Lots of port stops, but time to enjoy things in the evenings on the ships. Keep sharing your great experiences. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived