Are art "auctions" omnipresent on Silverseas?

writer100

Thinking about our next cruise, and one possible way of indexing the calibre of the cruise line is whether they host "art auctions." Regent does, and Seabourn--at least on the Odyssey--does not. FYI: the largest company involved in such shipboard art "sales" has been under a restraining order in both Detroit and LA for misrepresentation. It seems --this is all according to the WSJ of some weeks back--part of the shipboard deal is that you get your money back if you change your mind within 30 days. According to the complainants the company has been, ah, reluctant to return the payments of some (or many) passengers and those who live in the two cities cited above went to their local law. I am not suggesting that all such auctions are fraudulent.But according to a friend with a serious collection, you would be --in his words--"nuts" --to buy art in ths way.So, are art auctions everywhere throughout the Silverseas brand? Does that imply something? Or nothing?

Insights from pax in Silverseas much appreciated.

On the Shadow last June, to Alaska, they had lovely art on display, including some drawings by Chagall, Miro, and numbered prints, as well as original oils and watercolors, along with a couple of Picasso ceramics. I certainly did NOT think it was tacky. On the contrary - to walk down the corridor to the main dining room with this art on the walls, simply complimented an already lovely luxury experience.

There were two art consultants on board. The morning newsletter would list the times these individuals were available to provide a tour through the art, and answer questions about it. I did not take a tour, but saw nothing wrong with this approach to selling quality art pieces. There was no "auction". Again, I thought the inclusion of this art added to our experience.

On the Shadow last June, to Alaska, they had lovely art on display, including some drawings by Chagall, Miro, and numbered prints, as well as original oils and watercolors, along with a couple of Picasso ceramics. I certainly did NOT think it was tacky. On the contrary - to walk down the corridor to the main dining room with this art on the walls, simply complimented an already lovely luxury experience. There were two art consultants on board. The morning newsletter would list the times these individuals were available to provide a tour through the art, and answer questions about it. I did not take a tour, but saw nothing wrong with this approach to selling quality art pieces. There was no "auction". Again, I thought the inclusion of this art added to our experience.

THANKS, Sue, for this good and positive information! We did Seabourn in June 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast and Crystal in late July 2008 for the Baltics and Russia. Both of those cruise lines had art on the walls available for purchase, but, fortunately, there was no pushing or phony pitch games. Glad to hear that Silversea does it right and reasonable. Looking forward to our July 1-16 Silver Cloud adventure along the Norway Coast, seeing the fjords, Arctic Circle, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Sue, for this good and positive information! We did Seabourn in June 2006 for the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast and Crystal in late July 2008 for the Baltics and Russia. Both of those cruise lines had art on the walls available for purchase, but, fortunately, there was no pushing or phony pitch games. Glad to hear that Silversea does it right and reasonable. Looking forward to our July 1-16 Silver Cloud adventure along the Norway Coast, seeing the fjords, Arctic Circle, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It was the same on the Silver Shadow last August.

Archived