Best Way to Book for Single Cruisers

My girlfriend and her family are headed out on the Liberty of the Seas on May 23. Despite the two of us having cruised alone 2x before (Carnival) the mother won't allow us in a cabin together. So essentially if I want to go I need to be a single cruiser.

Does anyone have any tips on how/where I could get the best deal for that? I have cruised RCCL once before (Long time ago on Empress of the Seas) but don't have my past guest number.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My girlfriend and her family are headed out on the Liberty of the Seas on May 23. Despite the two of us having cruised alone 2x before (Carnival) the mother won't allow us in a cabin together. So essentially if I want to go I need to be a single cruiser.

Does anyone have any tips on how/where I could get the best deal for that? I have cruised RCCL once before (Long time ago on Empress of the Seas) but don't have my past guest number.

There is no easy answer to your situation. You'll end up paying the full price of a single cruiser, whatever that may be with RCCL. Different cruise lines have different policies. The 2 Celebrity cruises I took in early 2000s I had to pay 150% of per person, double occupancy rate. Nothing could have been done to avoid it, UNLESS I was willing to take a chance on "same sex" share the cabin deal. The cruise line would hook me up with another man in the same cabin. There was a chance that there was not another single man available for the same offer and I would get the room all to myself, but I didn't want to take that chance and paid the extra 50% premium.

I don't know what RCCL single occupancy rules are, but at the very least expect 150% or more.

Talk to a good cruise TA and they may be able to help you in some ways, but don't expect miracles.

Just go for the cheapest inside guarantee fare and even with the premium, it should be fairly inexpensive.

How old is your girlfriend? If she is an adult I would think her mom would not have too much say in the matter....given the extra cost involved...

How old is your girlfriend? If she is an adult I would think her mom would not have too much say in the matter....given the extra cost involved...

You would think...lol...unfortunately in this instance logic won't win out.

Thanks for the ideas...I think I may be sitting it out and then using the funds I would have paid for some other vacation later. Oh well. Thanks though.

Single rates on Royal Caribbean vary between 125% and 200% of the double fare depending on the sailing's poplularity. To get an idea of what the trip would cost you, go over to www.royalcaribbean.com and start plugging the numbers. You can also check other ships for nearby dates to see what the single fares would be for those trips. Many solo cruisers try to be flexible to take advantage of the best deals on low single supplements.

Best of luck to you.

There's no way of avoiding the Solo Cruiser rates. As others have stated book the lowest catagory gauranteed cabin you can get. Booking a gauranteed cabin rate increases your changes for an upgraded . Also paying a solo cruiser rate can sometimes further increase your chances of an upgrade. Most of my cruises have been booked at solo fares. I always book and gauranteed inside cabin . More often than not I've always be upgraded and even to outside cabin.

In the current climate, forget about 150/200% If the cruise is a popular one, you are going to pay big time. If that is not the case, you can get an affordable price even going solo. Look at the bottom line..not percentage, as the question arises; percent of what? I have soloed a number of times. If the price is good...I go..:D

So, are the parents and the daughter going to stay in one cabin altogether? Or are they booking a single cabin for her and then expecting you to book another single for yourself?

If they are planning to share a cabin for the three of them, then letting her book into a cabin with you, will simply means that they (or she) is paying for half of the second cabin while not sharing with you means that you pay the extra and they save money.

Since the ship and the cruise has already been decided on I don't think you are in a position to shop around for a cruise that is kinder to singles on pricing, you'll just have to call and find out what the single suppliment is on that particular cruise.

In the end I guess it comes down to how much you want to go, under the circumstances, and how much you're willing to pay for the privilege.

Archived