EWR or JFK for cruise out of Bayonne?

MAXII

A little confused - have read loads of posts but I still don't have a good understanding of how difficult it would be to get from JFK to the port of Bayonne or Newark area as opposed to EWR.:confused:

We are flying from SEA and plan to spend 2 or 3 days close to the port area.

So - please could someone advise me on getting to Bayonne/Newark from JFK and maybe give me an idea of how much more or less difficult and costly it maybe than to transfer from EWR.

Thanks!

Could you give us more details? What do you plan to do in the 2-3 days you spend close to the port area? What is your budget and how many people? Are you talking about sightseeing in NY? EWR is Newark airport is closest to the port and is a $45-50 cab/car service ride. JFK to Newark is a $75-100 cab/car service ride plus the $45-50 ride to the port. If you are sightseeing in NY and plan to stay in Manhattan, you can expect to pay $55 for a cab ride from JFK to Manhattan and another $65-100 to Bayonne unless you opt for public transportation, which involves subway/Path/light rail and rolling your luggage.

Thanks 138east - you answered me perfectly. We will be staying near the port for a few days and are planning to use public transport to get around to the sites but were not sure if we should plan to fly into and stay around the JFK area or go for Newark instead.

Decision made - Newark it is, thanks.:)

Your best bet is to fly into Newark & stay at a hotel near the airport that has access to the AirTrain in order to connect to the PATH train that will get you into Manhattan.

If you want to see more information, I'm going to suggest you go the the Celebrity Roll Call for the May 2nd sailing on the Celebrity Summit. I answered someone who had the exact same question about transportation about getting going from Newark to Manhattan. I have links there for the rail lines. It's roughly on page 5 or 6.

Anita

MAXII - there are several strategies for booking Newark hotels in order to go into Manhattan. It's a question of time and stress versus money. Give us some more details - exact dates, number of people and beds, and your hotel and transportation budget.

IMO Air Train should be your last choice for going into NY - it is $15/pp each way. Depending on the room prices, it may be better to spend more money and stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton (second choice the Robert Treat), stay at an airport hotel that has bus service to Newark Penn Station or New York, or to just take a cab to Newark Penn Station from your hotel. However, to give you good advice, we need to know as much as possible about how you envision your stay in the NY/NJ area.

A little confused - have read loads of posts but I still don't have a good understanding of how difficult it would be to get from JFK to the port of Bayonne or Newark area as opposed to EWR.:confused:

We are flying from SEA and plan to spend 2 or 3 days close to the port area.

So - please could someone advise me on getting to Bayonne/Newark from JFK and maybe give me an idea of how much more or less difficult and costly it maybe than to transfer from EWR.

Thanks!

EWR is very close in proximity to Bayonne so I would try to fly into EWR if possible. If not JFK is probably over an hr from Bayonne or you can take public transportation which is cheaper but involves a few legs.

Archived