Tulum vs. Altun Ha or Xunantunich in Belize

jthespartan

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in March (Carnival Glory). We want to visit some Mayan ruins while we're down there, but we're not sure which is the best. I see a lot of good things about all three (Tulum in Cozumel and/or Altun Ha and Xunantunich in Belize). Does anyone have any recommendations on which one we should do?

Thanks in advance!

Go Green! Go White!

Jeremy

All are beautiful, but Tulum is the best because of the setting on the ocean. It does involve a lot of walking over uneven terrain. Sometimes can be very hot. Belize sites are usually much more accessible . If you docking in Cozumel you have to take a ferry to the mainland ( An adventure ride in itself. Think of your favorite roller coaster times 10 ! ) and then a 1-1/2 hour bus ride to the ruins. To me it was worth it to do it once. There are also ruins right in Cozumel , but on a much smaller scale. From another Spartan. We need Lucas back 2nite ! :D

We've done Xunantunich twice and I loved it. We've also been to Tulum. It really depends on what you're looking for. Both require quite a lengthy trip to get to them. I think the one in Belize is most interesting because you get to see more rural areas. It's also somewhat mountainous. The pyramids are awesome there being on top of a mountain. Tulum on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous being located on the water. Our family agrees this is one of the prettiest places we have ever been. But, you don't get to climb the pyramids are touch them. In Belize, you can climb them and it is more hands on. In Belize the "park rangers" have automatic weapons...said they were tired of folks "stealing their heritage." Hmm. In Belize you stop at a ranch and eat lunch, it's awesome. I guess I would say it was my overall favorite, but both are stunning.

Been to Xunan. twice and Tulum once. Tulum is GORGEOUS, hot, and you can't climb the pyramids. Xunan. is located on a mountain/hillside in the rain forrest and STUNNING, you can climb them and you get to stop for lunch at a ranch. Lenghty trip to both. I liked Belize the best, but both are great excursions, the tour guides are outstanding and buses are comfy.

We've been to Tulum on a land based vacation. It is great. I think it would make a long travel day with limited time at the ruins. Decide what Plan B would be in both Cozumel and Belize. If Plan B is a better choice in one port over the other and something you also would like to do it may help you decide. We are traveling to Belize and Costa Maya on our upcoming cruise and our children wanted to go to some ruins. We decided on Costa Maya because we wanted to snorkle in Belize. I have also read very good things about Lamani in Belize. From what I have read on CC, both tours would be best done through the ship tours because of time limits.

Really comes down to what else you want to do during the cruise. If you like the beach, go to the beach in Coz and do either Altun Ha or Xunantunich in Belize (no nearby beaches there). If you want to go cavetubing or reef snorkeling off a boat, then do Tulum in Coz and use Belize stop for either of the other excursions. You most likely need an excursion of some sort in Belize to be able to see anything but the sourvenir stands at the tender pier. Do visit one of the ruins sites at least once. Just decide which is best based on what you're expecting out of the cruise as a whole.

• 1 month later...
Tulum.... The place is located on a cliff overlooking the ocean..

But book any Tulum tour or Belize ruins tour through your ship's excursion. Even though Tulum overlooks the ocean, it's not nearby Cozumel. It's about 50 miles south of Playa del Carmen which is a 40 minute ferry ride from Cozumel. All the Belize Maya ruins excursions are at least couple of hours away or more from the tender port. A lot can and does go wrong on getting there and returning.

Have been to Tulum years ago, been to Altun Ha on cruise...would choose Belize for ruins...closer, can climb the ruins

Cozumel has lots to do , great beaches...Belize does not have much unless you are on a tour, so I would pick one of the many other choices in Cozumel and save ruins for Belize

Tulum is really far from Cozumel, you will spend a lot of time on the bus and then you can not climb the ruins once you get there (it is beautiful, but IMHO a better option for a day trip if you were staying in Cancun )

Archived