Cruising with tweens

jamar142

I always had the impression that Carnival was a real party boat and more for the younger adult, but that was a few years ago. Any thoughts

Completely untrue. There are all age groups from old to young - a real nice mix. It really is just a "fun" cruiseline - something for everyone. Just look at the web site with all the photos of kids, and all the kid friendly things they have added like putt-putt and the waterworks and you will see that families are a huge target audience for them.

We have taken our kids (now 5 and 11) on 4 cruises in the last 3 years and have 2 more scheduled this year. They have a great kids program for all ages.

IMHO, the food and service is better than on RCI. And you get far more bang for your buck.

I agree with A&Jfamily. We've cruised on Carnival, RCI, Princess, and Norwegian. I have no idea where the "party boat" reputation came from, :rolleyes:but it couldn't be farther from the truth. Carnival is a very family, friendly family oriented cruiseline. I felt like Norwegian and Princess had an older more laid back crowd that appeals more to adults. Carnival and RCI are extremely similar with more families and young ones. If you like RCI you should like Carnival too. Carnival now has "Build-A-Bear" workshop that my kids love, and they're 10 and 12.

You are nice to plan around the kid's happiness but think of yourself too. My grandmother took me on a carnival cruise once and she hated it, granted it was summer and the ship was crowded and tons of kids were everywhere. If you like RCCL I think that would be a nice choice with positives for all of you. IMO

I cruise with my 3 kids, aged 4, 11 and 14. We much prefer RCCL to Carnival. Camp Carnival was fine for the younger ones, but there wasn't much to do besides hang out at the pool for myself and the older one. We much prefer the layout and decor of RCCL ships as well. And, we haven't been on the Freedom or Oasis class.

Whichever ship you choose, be sure to have a look at itineraries and port times as well. Some ships may leave a port at 3 p.m, and some not till 11 p.m.

We cruised RCCI, Princess and NCL during DD's tween years. I agree with other posters that RCCI really seems to excel with dealing with the 8-11YO set. The activities are really geared to them - not too young, not too sophisticated. AO program for that age is well supervised, but not over organized. RCCI ships have a lot of the special venues that will wow this age group - rock climbing walls, ice skating, mini golf, water activities (slides and/or flowrider), etc.

Princess, NCL, Carnival, etc may not be bad choices, but RCCI really caters to this age group.

We cruised RCCI, Princess and NCL during DD's tween years. I agree with other posters that RCCI really seems to excel with dealing with the 8-11YO set. The activities are really geared to them - not too young, not too sophisticated. AO program for that age is well supervised, but not over organized. RCCI ships have a lot of the special venues that will wow this age group - rock climbing walls, ice skating, mini golf, water activities (slides and/or flowrider), etc.

Princess, NCL, Carnival, etc may not be bad choices, but RCCI really caters to this age group.

So excited to hear this, we will be on RCCL (Alaska) this summer with DS's who are 11 (twins) and 8. Are all the activities free or are there charges for rock climbing wall, etc.? Any tips for cruising with the kids would be appreciated.

So excited to hear this, we will be on RCCL (Alaska) this summer with DS's who are 11 (twins) and 8. Are all the activities free or are there charges for rock climbing wall, etc.? Any tips for cruising with the kids would be appreciated.

We cruised Radiance of the Seas to Alaska this past summer. We had a family oceanview, but if I had to do it again, I'd have a balcony. Although they said they'd be at Hubbard Glacier from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., it actually turned out to be 7 a.m. to 8:15. :eek: We were at breakfast, planning on going onto deck afterwards, when they announced we were leaving. :mad: So, get a balcony, and watch from there.

The solarium pool is open to kids while in Alaska for several hours a day, it's much better than trying to use the outside pool.

There are no charges for rock climbing etc. But the RCCL ships that sail Alaska don't have the flowrider or ice rinks.

There are not additional charges for AO activities (other than the after hours "sitting")

Rock climbing, dining with the counselors, etc - are no charge. Depending upon the age of your child, you may need to be present during some activities (rock climbing).

Set down guidelines with the kids prior to your trip. Decide upon the rules (will you allow the older kids to sign themselves out of AO and if they can, what to you expect them to do after signing out, do you expect them to dine with you every night, what activities will you allow them to do alone what ones they must have one of you with to do, expectations as to "loitering" in public areas, "playing" on the elevators, etc.) Tour the ship with them once on board and point out areas that they are not allowed (EVER!) or maybe allowed only with one of you. Set checkin times. Monitor their sea pass accounts (those arcade games, soft drinks, internet time can add up quickly!).

Remember this is a vacation, some of your regular rules can be suspended. It is a good opportunity to give them a bit more freedom, but underscore with that freedom comes a lot more responsibility.

Have fun!

We just got off the Jewel of Seas with one tween (and 2 younger) and it was great. There were some really fun activities planned for that age group - unfortunately this particular cruise had few in that age group so most of them didn't happen.

I can't compare to other cruiselines, but I don't think you can go wrong with RCI.

We cruise on Carnival. My dds are 15 & 17 and when we talk about taking a cruise they want to go on Carnival. We have checked into RCC. They always sign up at Camp Carnival the first night and go to it when they want. They have always had a great time.

Set down guidelines with the kids prior to your trip. Decide upon the rules (will you allow the older kids to sign themselves out of AO and if they can, what to you expect them to do after signing out, do you expect them to dine with you every night, what activities will you allow them to do alone what ones they must have one of you with to do, expectations as to "loitering" in public areas, "playing" on the elevators, etc.) Tour the ship with them once on board and point out areas that they are not allowed (EVER!) or maybe allowed only with one of you. Set checkin times. Monitor their sea pass accounts (those arcade games, soft drinks, internet time can add up quickly!).

Remember this is a vacation, some of your regular rules can be suspended. It is a good opportunity to give them a bit more freedom, but underscore with that freedom comes a lot more responsibility.

Have fun!

Thanks for the excellent advice Onessa.

I know the younger one will not be allowed to go out on his own, but I had already been thinking about the older two. They are very, very responsible kids and will always be together. So I am wondering....

How much freedom should you give your 'tweens on a ship?

Our family rule was that during the day they are allowed to leave the club whenever they want. But they must stay only in public areas (no going to 'friends" cabins). If we get any report or see them acting unrully (running, playing in the elevator,ect.) they will have to be with us.

In the evening they must stay in the teen club or the showroom. If we find them out and about the ship without our OK. They will be stuck with us.

The activities went on late enough that it was back to the cabin right after. For the first couple of cruises we picked them up. Then we started letting them call us from the teen club to say they were heading back to the cabin.

Luckily we have found that most parents in the same age group seemed to have the same rules.My kids have never complained that they were "stuck" staying in the teen club at night.

We've cruised both Carnival and Princess. Going back to Carnival this April. Our kids are 8 & 11 and this will be our third cruise in five years. As far as kids activities our kids had a blast with both Carnival and Princess kids camps. They made some really good friends and always wanted to go to camp. We always felt the kids were well looked after and safe. My son had an incident where another boy hit him in the back and the camp staff handled it very well. As soon as I told the kids we were going on this cruise in April, they went to the Carnival website to check out the activities again! In regards to Carnival and Princess, we found a bit of a different type of crowd, more older people and to be honest a little more stuffy on Princess. Carnival is definately more laid back and more relaxed atmosphere. That's what we found anyway. If you were to ask my husband main complaint was that you had to pay for ice cream on Princess and on Carnival, you have free 24 hour soft serve. If we did Princess again, it would be because of a longer duration or a certain itinerary. Also like Carnival because we can use airmiles to book.

How much freedom should you give your 'tweens on a ship?

With your twins it may be a bit easier than with my only-child. They each have a built-in buddy

I'm generally ok with giving her a bit more freedom on our cruises than at home because there is that "closed" loop atmosphere on the cruise ship (particularly while 'at sea').

I have hard-and-fast rules as to places where she CANNOT go. If she has met some friends (who we have met and are "ok" with) and she is with at least one friend, she has free range of the other spots.

Now that she's 14YO she can go someplaces alone. I also have rules as to where she can go alone (from our cabin to a public meeting place to meet a friend who she has called and who has agreed to meet her at that spot, down two decks to get a soda and then back to the cabing, etc).

We have curfew and checkin times (checkin is for EVERYONE, not just the kid :D)

She knows no loitering (sitting in stairways, blocking hallways); appropriate behavior for the location; inside voices at all time; if you go to the buffet area for a snack - 1) no loitering, 2)take only what you intend to eat, 3) inside voices with limited giggling; no elevator joy-riding, etc.

DD has very "distinctive" hair (lots of dark blonde hair with cork-screw curls) so she knows that a lot of people will notice her and will think nothing of commenting about her to me. She's lived through enough POSITIVE reports from little old ladies ("your daughter's hair is SO lovely. My friend and I saw her and her friends by the pool yesterday and . . . . ") -- she knows she won't get away with anything - poor dear :eek:!

I have a tendency to get very neurotic about a week before travelling, so please tell me if I'm being riddiculous. Anyway - here's my question!

First time cruise with a 13 yo girl and 11 yo boy on Carnival. Both signed up for kids clubs. My daughter has come down with a disease my BF likes to call "up-your-butt-itis". Seems like no matter where we go lately - parties, holiday events, etc - she has to be less than an inch from me at all times. I'm concerned she'll sign herself out of the kids' club and follow us around all day. Anyone else with a girl that age care to comment on Carnival's kids' club and how entertaining and 'friendly' it will be for a girl that age?

Also, how do the kids' club folks contact you if there is a problem with your child? Do they call you somehow if your children are misbehanving, injured, crying, etc?

OH one other thing (told you I'm neurotic) - how will the kids find us if they sign themselves out of the kids club and decide they want to be with us instead? I'm so used to having them call me up on the cell phone when at the mall etc - any advice here?

We've cruised both Carnival and Princess. Going back to Carnival this April. Our kids are 8 & 11 and this will be our third cruise in five years. As far as kids activities our kids had a blast with both Carnival and Princess kids camps. They made some really good friends and always wanted to go to camp. We always felt the kids were well looked after and safe. My son had an incident where another boy hit him in the back and the camp staff handled it very well. As soon as I told the kids we were going on this cruise in April, they went to the Carnival website to check out the activities again! In regards to Carnival and Princess, we found a bit of a different type of crowd, more older people and to be honest a little more stuffy on Princess. Carnival is definately more laid back and more relaxed atmosphere. That's what we found anyway. If you were to ask my husband main complaint was that you had to pay for ice cream on Princess and on Carnival, you have free 24 hour soft serve. If we did Princess again, it would be because of a longer duration or a certain itinerary. Also like Carnival because we can use airmiles to book.[/quote]

That's because you're in Ontario - if you lived in SK like us, you'd use your miles for the airfare, because it always costs more than the cruise!! :p I do love AirMiles, though! We've used them to fly to cruises four times now, and I just booked our flights for next December's cruise and we're also using some to get to FL in July for some scuba and the day camp at Busch Gardens. If it weren't for AirMiles, we wouldn't have gone on half the vacations we've enjoyed in the past five years.

Back to the topic at hand, though... We've sailed exclusively on NCL with our daughter and she loves their kids' programs. She was 11 on our last cruise this past December and had a blast. Many mornings she's up and ready before we are because she doesn't want to miss some scheduled activity that she's looking forward to. :) The one other thing that we really enjoy on NCL is dining wherever, whenever and with whomever we want. I understand there is some sort of anytime dining on other lines now, though, so it's not the only line where you don't have to worry about trying to make your dinner seating after a long day in port, or having to wait to eat when you're hungry an hour before your assigned seating.

Truthfully, I think any cruise you choose these days will provide a good experience for kids. There aren't many left that weren't built with specific areas designed for kids and families, and they've all got trained staff and activities geared towards kids of all ages having fun. Find a cruise with an appealing itinerary at a price you're happy with and book it; I'm sure you'll be happy. :)

my dd was 12 on our last cruise. They always meet a group of kids they want to hang out with. We allow them to sign in and out when they want. they are well behaved children and follow our guidelines. Make sure you go over the rules multiple times and some have them writtrn out and signed like a contract. I bought $10 trac phones and we used those to send text mssg and left our regular phones turned off and in the safe. Also take a pad of sticky notes so you can leave each other notes. My children always knew where we were and would show up to check on us! They still text/facebook the friends they made.

ps. cherish the up-your-but-itis, make a video to remember because in 2 years she may not want to be in a mile radius of you................how fast they become p.i.a.'s:cool:

I always had the impression that Carnival was a real party boat and more for the younger adult, but that was a few years ago. Any thoughts

On our 7 night this month it was comparable to my experiences with RCI, maybe a bit more casual in the dining room. I've heard the 2 nighters are more-so what you're thinking, due I'm sure to the typical low cost attracting college students and ppl wanting to let loose for a weekend.

My kids had a great time at CAmp Carnival and club O2, but I'm sure they would have had equally great times if we'd been on RCI, especially the newer ships with extra activities.

I have cruised both Carnival and RCCL with my kids. They were tweens on our last cruise, which was RCCL. They enjoyed it quite a lot, more, I think, than they would Carnival at that age. My son wasn't too into the kids' club, but he often doesn't like those kinds of things. We spent a lot of time hanging out on the sports deck, which was great for kids that age. Rollerblading, rock wall, etc. They liked Johnny Rockets a lot too.

That said, they would have enjoyed Carnival as tweens too--just maybe not quite as much.

Archived