Drinks package seems ridiculous price

Nothing to do with the price of drink, but talking of prices,we were looking at the excursion prices on Spirit for Egypt and Israel trips, in April 2008 they were £49 each for full day trip, this year they are £70 each.

Hi,

I can't speak for the other excursions, but in June last year Thomson's were charging £70 for the one from Alexandria to Cairo to see pyramids and sphinx while we were on Royal Caribbean and they wanted £120 for exactly the same one.

Berwyn

Booked last August, for our 1st cruise, on March 11th, Red Sea Magic. There was an ad to upgrade 'all inclusive from 79.00 euros'. So we decided to upgrade. When we got the final bill it was 199.00 euros each. I really think it is a rip off. Like a glass of wine around 6.00 in the evening and a brandy after dinner but really don't think I will drink 199.00 euros worth of alcohol during the week.

Booked last August, for our 1st cruise, on March 11th, Red Sea Magic. There was an ad to upgrade 'all inclusive from 79.00 euros'. So we decided to upgrade. When we got the final bill it was 199.00 euros each. I really think it is a rip off. Like a glass of wine around 6.00 in the evening and a brandy after dinner but really don't think I will drink 199.00 euros worth of alcohol during the week.

Euro???. I think you need to speak to your TA.

I agree with most people the drinks package is only worth it if it is about £70 like somebody else mentioned the Topaz a the memoriesssssss it was a great old ship but I find I prefer to pay for my drinks as I do not like the House wine so end up paying extra to get a decent drink same with shorts but Thomsons are the most reasenable priced drinks in the cruise industry and no 15% added on the price you see is the price you pay also Thomson have the best entertainment on the High Seas better than most americans ships.havea great cruise

:p

Myself, husband and 16 year old daughter have been quoted £472 for the drinks package for a week on the Spirit in July, which seems extreme. However we don't want any nasty shocks. If we don't take this package, how much would we expect to spend for normal soft drinks, tea and coffee? Our daughter only drinks water as she doesn't like fizzy drinks. I don't drink much, and my husband likes the odd beer or glass of wine with his meal.

Totally agree it's crazy we were quoted £756 for a fortnight on the Dream in December. Needless to say we declined. Sure we can do it cheaper by buying as we go. Prices seem quite reasonable from what I've seen. Hope you have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...

We were quoted at time of booking £420 each for 20 nights and when we decided to book our cabin in advance, we asked about drinks package it had gone up to £538 each and we are not big drinkers so decided against it.

Hi Ann

When we booked the Dream for June this year they were looking for £378 per party for AI,thats £189pp or £27 per day of drink pp :D..Suffice to say we never took up the offer.We have however got £100 on board spend per party..Regarding the AI,the price may suggest drink prices may be more expensive on the Dream

Jim The Scot :D ;)

It's a common topic of conversation on this Board and most people agree that the full priced package is not worth the money. The prices of drinks on board are very reasonable and you don't have to pay a service charge every time a waiter brings you one either.

Hi Everyone,

I have been on this site for a few weeks now, but this is my first post, great site by the way.

I think the drinks package price comes down to what your happy to pay, we have paid about £230.00 each for two weeks on the Dream in July,this works out at £16.42 each day, which i think is great value, i know for a fact the two kids will have there moneys worth, and me and the other half will have a few drinks during the day, so i feel its good value for money.

Any one else going on the Dream in July?

:)

Hi Everyone,

I have been on this site for a few weeks now, but this is my first post, great site by the way.

I think the drinks package price comes down to what your happy to pay, we have paid about £230.00 each for two weeks on the Dream in July,this works out at £16.42 each day, which i think is great value, i know for a fact the two kids will have there moneys worth, and me and the other half will have a few drinks during the day, so i feel its good value for money.

Any one else going on the Dream in July?

:)

Me!:) Sail out of Palma on the 27th July and have 2 weeks booked b2b, can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi OZ11,

we're also going in July, but only for a week. I was also hoping to go like you on the colliseum tour. i'm going to book the Thomson tour for it, i can't face the fact of maybe missing the ship if we arrive back late.

Hi OZ11,

we're also going in July, but only for a week. I was also hoping to go like you on the colliseum tour. i'm going to book the Thomson tour for it, i can't face the fact of maybe missing the ship if we arrive back late.

Unless we are somewhere we've been before, like Barcelona, we always do the ship's excursions and found them good value. We had price up alternatives in some other ports by local firms and not found much difference in price. The only benefit would be a smaller group size.

And like you we don't want to get back to port and see our "hotel" sailing away in the distance.

Berwyn

One other point to remember when deciding on whether to buy AI is to remember you will probably be ashore during the day so will mostly only be drinking in the evenings....the drinks are very reasonably priced so it would take alot to make it worth your while at full price!! Baileys on ice (my drink) is only £2.85....also bottled water is not included in AI (£1.45 for large bottle)....

My personal opinion is that they are trying to do away with cheap AI ....we did notice a couple of years ago that there were alot of passengers becoming the 'worse for wear' from early in the day which did not make it very pleasant for some other passengers/....so perhaps Thomson have noticed this ??

Hello Jenny Wren,

I notice you have just returned from Spirit, hope you had good weather? I too drink Baileys, and just out of interest, I have heard people say that Baileys is not included in tha AI drinks list, can you confirm this for me?

Many thanks,

Ann.

Weve paid something like £130 each for our dri nk package which i think is good because we like cocktails. We were told all alcohol was included in the price apart from branded whiskeys etc...

Archived