Pedro St. James/Botanical Gardens

AtlantaKelly

My cousin, who has a sister living on the island, recommended the garden so I looked it up on the internet. At that site it said not to take a bus there if you are on a cruise. It is a 40 minute drive from George Town. A taxi would cost $50 each way and you need to have the taxi wait for you because you probably can't find a taxi to take you back. And the meter is running while you look around and enjoy the beauty. So your price doesn't sound so bad after that!

Your two viable options to get to those locations are an excursion (private or through the ship) or a rental car. The two sites are in the opposite direction as the majority of the tourist traffic, and I wouldn't want to try to rely on the local buses when there's a definite return time to the ship that has to be met.

More info on both sites is here:

http://www.botanic-park.ky/

http://www.pedrostjames.ky/

Thanks for the information. I thought $82 sounded like a lot of money for this tour, given that the admission charge for each place is only about $10. However, it sounds like if you're on a cruise, the ships tour is the way to go because it is so far away. A cab would be expensive, rental cars drive on the left, and it's just not worth the stress of cutting the time too close to when the ship departs!

Archived