Rome: Hotel Lancelot or Hotel Modigliani?

2tsquared

Like so many others, trying to settle on a hotel in Rome that is in a fairly central location for both attractions and good places to eat in the evenings is quite the task.

I think I have narrowed down our choices to 3: Hotel Lancelot within a stone's throw of the Colosseum, Hotel Modigliani near Via Veneto, and the Hotel Golden (already discussed in another thread). Both Lancelot and Modigliani are given good mention in the Rick Steve's book on Rome.

As both DH and I are willing "walkers" both day and night, I would really welcome comments from fellow CC'ers who have stayed at any of these hotels and their impressions of the areas they are situated in, especially safe to walk at night and get to more than one or 2 restaurants (and they don't have to be the expensive ones).

Thanks so much for all advice and suggestions.

tt (Terry)

I took Rick Steves advice also,,, this was a nice hotel and easy to walk to many things...we asked concierge for restaurant advice and he gave us 2 great ones within 3 blocks...Rome hotels are not as LUXURY types as some due to age...but ask for room towards back to cut down on road noise. Check the hotel website for further info....or look on Hotels.com,think I booked thru them...the guidebook also gives maps of sites and resturants too.... used it when out wandering, and some where closed,,,make sure your book is somewhat new.....have a great time,I envy you....oh, just a hint,,,the hotel offered basics,,but no hair conditioner,,,;)

We have stayed in Modigliani twice and found it to be a great home away from home. The Owners are usually around and if you can get the top floor room, 602 I think, go for it. It has a great view of the Vatican area in the distance. The lower rooms seemed to have a garden area to relax in, I can't comment on the room sizes but the top floor rooms have a seating area and a large balcony. We will certainly stay here again. The staff was great in helping us with day tours and anything else we needed. Happy cruising.

Thank you Alexandra and Billiam. It seems that both hotels are certainly worth considering.

Billiam, it was mentioned on the Hotel Golden thread that it is "too uphill." Did you find any issues with walking from the Modigliani?

Thanks,

tt

In terms of nearby restaurants, I'd go for the Lancelot. There are a number of good restaurants in the vicinity that are priced more fairly than the "tourist friendly" restaurants around the Spanish Steps and Pantheon/Piazza Navona area, for example. I also enjoy walking around the Colosseum area more. I find the via Veneto area too quiet (as in not much going on).

I am not generally a fan of Rick Steves' restaurant recommendations, but I can certainly recommend Cavour 313, a wine bar/restaurant near the Colosseum on via Cavour. The wine is great, the atmosphere is nice, and the daily specials (on the chalkboard) are definitely worth trying.

Thank you Alexandra and Billiam. It seems that both hotels are certainly worth considering.

Billiam, it was mentioned on the Hotel Golden thread that it is "too uphill." Did you find any issues with walking from the Modigliani?

2tsquared, The hotel is on a side street and an incline, all Rome is for that matter. I am 70ish and had no problems navigating it, one way is always downhill too:). The hotel is within a couple of blocks of Barberini Piazza where you can find many restaurants, tour buses, city buses and the metro. We used the metro a lot. We were there last for 8 days in Oct. '07. The hotel is also a couple of blocks from Via Veneto a major street with restaurants and shopping galore. Hopefully it is not needed but it is just a few blocks from the American Embassy too. Being on a narrow side street meant no traffic noise and we always felt safe outside. This hotel was recommended to us by others locally who stayed there while in Rome. Have a good trip and I'm sure you will no matter where you stay. Happy cruising

We stayed at the Lancelot a while ago, but I recall the area being pretty flat for Rome, maybe a slight uphill grade to via di San Giovanni in Laterano where the busses run. We really enjoyed the hotel, especially the spacious lobby and breakfast room, the rooftop terrace (not much of a view because of shrubbery, but relaxing to see the sun go down), and the communal dinners in a vine-covered courtyard, with good food and good conversation.

We stayed at the Hotel Golden on our last trip because it was less expensive than the Lancelot, but for our next trip we may rethink that. Even if they are both formally three-star hotels, the Lancelot is a good half-star above the Golden.

Thanks, rsquare. I appreciate your positive comments with regard to the Hotel Lancelot.

I've been emailing back and forth with Lubna at the Lancelot and finalized reservations to stay there last night. Lubna has been extremely responsive and helpful in answering my questions. We opted for a first floor double room with terrace B&B inclusive. The 6th floor terrace rooms were booked the first night of our arrival (and $100+ more per night). There were also standard doubles still available, but we decided the extra 10 Euros was worth it to give ourselves an outdoor "extension" to the room. Lubna assures me we will enjoy both our room and the surrounding area.

Thanks to all who have responded.

tt

Archived