Bumpiing tours question?

kmkasza

I am looking to book the Roseau Valley Best with Bumping tours. They suggest a certain type of shoe. Is this really necessary or just a pair of old tennis shoes that can get wet is all you need. They say it is somewhat strenous, can anyone tell me how strenous. I am 55 years old but do walk on the treadmill daily. I have heard nothing but good reviews about them.

I wore sneakers last year and took water sandals. I really felt I needed the sneakers for the paths at Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls. I did not swim at Titou Gorge, but I did go into the water a bit with my sandals. At the falls we climbed down the stream to some hot pools and I just went in with my sneakers, which really worked for me. I didn't find it strenuous. However, the path at the falls was rough and I felt much safer doing it in sneakers. Having said that, there were folks climbing in flip flops. To each his own. It was a wonderful tour.

I am looking to book the Roseau Valley Best with Bumping tours. They suggest a certain type of shoe. Is this really necessary or just a pair of old tennis shoes that can get wet is all you need. They say it is somewhat strenous, can anyone tell me how strenous. I am 55 years old but do walk on the treadmill daily. I have heard nothing but good reviews about them.

Definitely wear shoes! I wore Tevas, which were finel Sneakers would also be fine, just would stay wet and uncomforabe longer.

It's not strenuous at all, particularly the walk to Titou gorge. Part of the road/path is covered with small round rocks. It's a very easy path. On the way down to the hotsprings at Trafalgar (which is optional but you should do) you have to climb a bit over some boulders, but they help you as well.

You just need shoes that won't fall off your feet, have decent tread and can get wet. So flip flops aren't good but they don't need to be fancy hiking sandals or anything.

We did the Roseau Valley Best tour last week. This tour includes the hike to Middleham Falls, which is VERY strenuous. We also went to Trafalgar falls and this was a piece of cake after Middleham. The 1/2 hour of this hike is mostly uphill and you will get your heart rate up! Not only is it uphill, but it's a very rugged trail where you are climbing up and down rocks, wading through streams and negotiating tree roots. You do have to be careful. If you are in decent shape you should be able to do it. My legs were sore for 2 days after!

I think the hiking sandals that Levi recommends are a good idea. I bought some Tevas and was glad I did.

That being said, this was the best tour I've ever done and I would do it again. Dominica is stunningly beautiful and every place we visited was amazing. Levi is a great tour guide and looks after everyone. It was a magical day.

We did Roseau Valley Treasures last week that included Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls. I am 50 and also walk on a treadmill regulary. The hike to Trafalgar is slightly difficult, but not what I would call strenuous. You do need hiking shoes that can get wet. I didn't wear mine into the water at Titou and wished I had. It was hard to walk on the rocks. I bought mine at LLBean. We were with Martin for the day and he was a fantastic guide.

We've done that tour, loved it. I had teva sandals and they were okay, better than sneakers, I thought. I've since bought closed toe Keens (similar to what Levi recommends on his website), and have used them for hiking in the National Parks out west and for a rain forest hike in Grenada this last January, and heartily endorse them. I love them. We're booked with Levi again for next January, and they are definitely what I'll be wearing.

Plain water shoes worked for me at Titou Gorge. A good pair of Hush Puppies sandals worked for the rest of the tour. The short hike up to Trafalgar should be ok for anyone. I'm 56 and not in good condition and I made it that far. I wouldn't try anything more strenuous. Hopefully, I can work on that so when I go back I can do more.

We also did the Roseau Valley Treasures, ours last week Feb 10. This tour was the highlight of our cruise. Scenery beyond words. Levi was great at pointing everything out, especially the vegetation of the island and just a fantastic,fun guide. I would never hesitate to recommend him. But remember to be prompt in meeting him. His aim is to get you to Titou before the crowds and in our case, as we were leaving, it looked to be about 50 people coming in..far too many to enjoy the experience.

We had the Keen closed toe sandals which worked great. One woman in our group struggled with just velcro sandals(without Levi's patience it would have been impossible) and we saw lots with flip-flops but don't know how they really did this in those. Another woman I saw had high heels, obviously a problem as she was carrying them!

"We did the Roseau Valley Best tour last week. This tour includes the hike to Middleham Falls, which is VERY strenuous." ----- >>>>> Some people in our group are concerned about the hike to Middleham. Can other CCs comment on this?? I know lots of you are big fans of bumpiing!! THANKS

"We did the Roseau Valley Best tour last week. This tour includes the hike to Middleham Falls, which is VERY strenuous." ----- >>>>> Some people in our group are concerned about the hike to Middleham. Can other CCs comment on this?? I know lots of you are big fans of bumpiing!! THANKS

Try the Roseau Valley Treasures tour instead - skips Middleham Falls, so there's not that big, strenuous hike. The walking is pretty easy - loved it and Bumpiing Tours.

Kikster1227,

If your group members are in good shape and don't have any mobility problems they should be fine. The trail is muddy, rooty and lots of steps. Levi will stop for breaks, you just need to let him know.

You will be sweaty but the temp at Middleham will cool you off. The water was only about 62° so none of us tried to go in. I would have climbed down to the water but the rest of the group wasn't interested.

We did the Roseau Valley Best tour last week. This tour includes the hike to Middleham Falls, which is VERY strenuous. We also went to Trafalgar falls and this was a piece of cake after Middleham. The 1/2 hour of this hike is mostly uphill and you will get your heart rate up! Not only is it uphill, but it's a very rugged trail where you are climbing up and down rocks, wading through streams and negotiating tree roots. You do have to be careful. If you are in decent shape you should be able to do it. My legs were sore for 2 days after!

I think the hiking sandals that Levi recommends are a good idea. I bought some Tevas and was glad I did.

That being said, this was the best tour I've ever done and I would do it again. Dominica is stunningly beautiful and every place we visited was amazing. Levi is a great tour guide and looks after everyone. It was a magical day.

Can you comment on what you saw and why the hike was so good?

My wife and I really want to do the longer hike to Middleham falls since we are in good shape and LOVE hiking, but I don't see any good descriptions of the type of wildlife/scenery yous ee along the hike.

Archived