What to do in Progreso?

lemonade shaker

Oh my goodness we LOVED Progreso. And we did it all on our own. We got off the ship. Spent some time at a straw market. Took an open air trolley ride for $2pp around the city. The driver pointed out a beach. We got off the trolley and walked to the beach. Spent a couple leisurely hours there, swimming and sunbathing.

Then went to a local restaurant where we had some great food and margaritas. I remember the restaurant owner was from New Jersey. He then led us to a supermarket where we purchased tequila and other necessities! It was a great cruise stop and we would love to go back there!

Looking for any and all helpful hints on what to do and not to do in Progreso.

If you're interested in Mayan ruins, Progreso is the closest cruise stop to Chichen Itza, which has always been a very famous site. Carnival does offer an excursion to it. Unfortunately, the government no longer allows people to climb the pyramid or go inside any chambers. A cheaper option would be to take the free bus into town (like what NewYearsBaby is talking about), which drops you off at the outdoor market. You can do plenty of shopping there. The public beach is just a couple blocks away, easy to walk to. That's basically what I did, and had a nice, relaxing beach day. The Corona Beach Party offered through Carnival takes place at one part of the beach, just outside a restaurant. It's basically $40 for drinks, a beach chair, and games led by the hosts. The rest of the beach is open and free. I didn't try any restaurants, since there's free food on the ship.

I second it for Chichen Itza because this is the best Mayan site to see. It is the one that is in all textbooks. My dh and I had a great time even though he has health problems. We were suppose to stop there again on another cruise but then they changed the port. I would do it again.

Oh my goodness we LOVED Progreso. And we did it all on our own. We got off the ship. Spent some time at a straw market. Took an open air trolley ride for $2pp around the city. The driver pointed out a beach. We got off the trolley and walked to the beach. Spent a couple leisurely hours there, swimming and sunbathing.

Then went to a local restaurant where we had some great food and margaritas. I remember the restaurant owner was from New Jersey. He then led us to a supermarket where we purchased tequila and other necessities! It was a great cruise stop and we would love to go back there!

Was the beach you went to the one that's right next to the pier?

Progreso has one long and "public" beach. Many good restaurants along the Malecon (beachside street) which will be glad to serve you on the beach or in their restaurants. Le Saint Bonnet is great and the whole deep fried snapper is excellent. Soooo very fresh.

Keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com to consider your options for the day.

Just got back from Progresso again. I've posted on another thread a lot of the negative feelings I have about Progresso. I've yet to go to any of the Mayan ruins so I can't speak anything about them. The vendors are very aggressive and that's something I really don't like no matter where I am, but if you can get past that it's really not as bad as I previously thought. It has changed a little bit in just the last year since I was hear last. The one thing I do like is that every vendor is willing to bargain. If they give you a price of $10.00 for something, offer them $5.00, they'll take it or give you a lower price. Keep at it, they expect it. Take lots of ones, fives, and tens. They don't like making change of course after you've bartered with them. We did everything on our own and had a good time. It's still not on my top ten list of ports but it's certainly a good place to visit.

is this the place that I have read about getting 1 hour long massages for 15 dollars, if so where do you find the ppl who are doing this, are they just walking around or is it on the beach somewhere? easy to find i hope this is all i want to do while i am there!!!

This past summer my DH and I did the Mayan Reality Tour. We went to the ruins of Xcambo, Mayan Cemetery, and Dzemul, a modern day Mayan Village. We toured a Catholic cathedral in the main square and visited with some locals. Lunch was provided at a 5 star resort and then we had time to tour the straw market.... I loved Porgresso!!

Looking for any and all helpful hints on what to do and not to do in Progreso.

We ended up at a beach bar called Buddy's. They were eager for our business. Good food, reasonably priced drinks.

Avoid a place called The Shark. Bad customer service attitude. They wouldn't take US bills with any damage to them and only wanted to give change in pesos,

The currency thing is normal in Mexico. No tears or really badly worn. I think the banks are the reason. Change in local currency is pretty normal in foreign countrys. Carry small denominations.

hdawson,

You seem to be fairly knowledgable about Progreso. I am desperately seeking to find an operator for the dune buggy tours. Carnival is sold out, and our Ds is unexpectedly on crutches. Do you happen to know how to book one of these tours outside of carnival.. A carnival rep gave me a website, but it is not working. Any help would be appreciated. If you do not want to post here, my email is whodoes03@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know anything about dune buggy tours. There are so many other options available during a Progreso stop.

Thanks for answering anyway. I think we are just going to have fun and let the kids ride the double decker bus and check out Merida. Hopefully, DS will be off the crutches by then! Thanks again!:)

I have read a lot about this double decker bus, and it drops you off at the Market, my questio......is the Market like the center of all things and how do you get back to the pier to get on the ship?

Can we just ride Carnival's bus to the town and go lay on the beach or is it a walk and would have to find other transportation to get to the happening spot!!

gijanemom. If it were me, I would skip the double decker ride in Progreso in favor of more time in Merida's historical center and take the carriage ride out onto Paseo Montejo. $20/50 min per load.

CMOTO. The courtesy busses bring you into the plaza a couple of blocks from the beach area. Those same busses depart that plaza to return you to the ship. There are quite a few restaurants along the Malecon (seaside street) that will be happy to serve you on the beach or in their establishments. A friendly, polite "no gracias" is usually sufficient if the vendors don't have something of your interest.

Bye the way. The whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet on the Malecon is excellent and soooooo fresh.

For your Ds, let her know that throughout the historical area of Merida there are plenty of benches in the plazas, to sit and people watch and rest. Hope this puts her mind at rest.

Just and FYI for all; Bus service to Merida is only $3.00 RT pp and runs about every 15-20 minutes.

I guess that Nannersmom has already been to Merida and didn't consider one of the all-inclusives. The kids might have enjoyed the small Merida zoo.

It's ok, H.

Not everyone has adventure in them. Besides, if Nannersmom doesn't like Progreso it only leaves more fried fish for us at LSB.:D

Archived