salmon bake

kdvolfan

We would like to experience a salmon bake while in Alaska. It looks like the ship's shore excursions only list these in Juneau. We have a full day planned in Juneau. We are going with Captain Larry at 9:30, then taking a bus out to Mendenhall Glacier, then a ride up the Mt. Roberts tram. Can we book a salmon bake on our own, or does it have to be done through the ship? How about other ports? Can we do a salmon bake in Sitka, Skagway, or Ketchikan? Thanks

We would like to experience a salmon bake while in Alaska. It looks like the ship's shore excursions only list these in Juneau. We have a full day planned in Juneau. We are going with Captain Larry at 9:30, then taking a bus out to Mendenhall Glacier, then a ride up the Mt. Roberts tram. Can we book a salmon bake on our own, or does it have to be done through the ship? How about other ports? Can we do a salmon bake in Sitka, Skagway, or Ketchikan? Thanks

Hi!

The best salmon bake I have been to is the Taku Lodge excursion in Juneau. It combines flightseeing over a glacier, a terrific salmon bake, and, depending on luck and the time of year, a vist from their resident bears to "clean up" the leftovers.

I know you don't have time for everything, but I thought I would mention it. An independently arranged salmon bake in another port is certainly possible. I would check with your TA or in a guidebook like Frommers or Fodors. I would also get the Alaska state travel guide - lots of good info.

Have a great cruise!

First off- if you haven't considered already- be certain to be dropped off from the whale watch directly at Mendenhall. This saves you an hour in shuttle time. Gold Creek runs a loop bus from the dock- so you can just hop on on your own.

Archived