Question for "Aft" balcony lovers?

luv2gonow

Hi,

Obviously the Aft wrap balconies....are no question the best.

I don't understand what the hype is about the aft view. People say how the view is the best. For me.....I love looking at the movement of the ocean...and maybe the coastline. I would think it would be more boring to just look at the wake of the ship....and besides lots of times there are ships behind...which i would see. That would ruin the "dust in the wind" for me.....like we were the only thing on the sea?

Does this make sense??

So Aft balcony people:D Just curious what makes the view bettter for you:D

Thanks

K

I love looking at the movement of the ocean...and maybe the coastline. I would think it would be more boring to just look at the wake of the ship....and besides lots of times there are ships behind...which i would see.

The aft has the ocean movement and the coastline (from either angle). Other ships seen in the distance are also seen by the port or starboard balconies. The aft has no wind, extra room enough to actually lie in a lounge. Proximity to the Lido dining hall and aft pool area is convienant. The slope of the aft creates its own party atmosphere with other aft residents. The hallways tend to be quiet. But I've only been on 3 aft cruises, maybe someone else can shed more light.

dk

Maybe it is a personal preference but I love the aft balconies. It is not as windy and it is so peaceful back there. I love watching and hearing the wake of the ship. The balcony is an extended balcony or should I say the ones I have had were. You can always look over to the side if you want to see the coastline. I have never had a ship close enough to us for them to see me. My next cruise I have booked the aft wrap and from what I hear i will probably be hooked on those rooms after that cruise. :D

Sneaking in with another questoin... I've never stayed in an aft balcony but I remember on the Conquest the dining room was back there and it was really really noisey and things clanked all the time, of course there was a lot of dishes ;)~ how is it in the rooms? Is it really noisey from the engines and the mechanics of the ship? How much more noise is there compared to a mid ship cabin?

Hi,

I don't understand what the hype is about the aft view. People say how the view is the best. For me.....I love looking at the movement of the ocean...and maybe the coastline. I would think it would be more boring to just look at the wake of the ship....and besides lots of times there are ships behind...which i would see. That would ruin the "dust in the wind" for me.....like we were the only thing on the sea?

Does this make sense??

Thanks

K

The only time there has been a ship behind us is when we were leaving port. We usually have a stern stateroom and not once have we ever had a ship behind us while at sea. You are still able to see the coastline, but you have to turn your head to see it ;). Like someone else said, it is nice and quiet. Another plus is a larger balcony. Makes it nice when you are cruising with friends and there is plenty of room for them too. YOu can have a nice sailaway party.

But again, it is all a matter of personal preference. As long as you like what you are paying for, that is what counts.

Annieeee

We just booked the Dream last night, and chose a "9C" cabin - "premium vista balcony" on the rear of Deck 7 (I think, room 8466).

We've never been on a Carnival ship before, and have only ever had standard side balconies on other ships. I think it will be very cool to have the wrap-around balcony and the wide-angle view. Plus the room is a funky layout, which is another interesting plus. Yes, it's a slightly weird wedge-shaped thing, but it's more interesting than the standard shoebox. :-)

-Dito

Hi,

Does this make sense??

So Aft balcony people Just curious what makes the view bettter for you:D

Thanks

K

... Aft-WRAPS, best of both worlds... 270 degree panoramic view. Though Carnival has steadily been shrinking those as new classes come out. :rolleyes: I would think that they would want to embrace the real estate that is the corner - evidently NOT!

Spirit Class (Top Dog):

46462816_2cSur-L.jpg

Conquest Class:

46224412_W85dj-L.jpg

Dream Class: (RUNT of the litter :eek:) - Carnival should be ashamed - REALLY!!

776295525_vpBGA-L.jpg

There... off of my soapbox AGAIN... not that Carnival listens (they might) or really cares (the DON'T)!

Tom

I love looking at the movement of the ocean...and maybe the coastline. I would think it would be more boring to just look at the wake of the ship....and besides lots of times there are ships behind...which i would see.

The aft has the ocean movement and the coastline (from either angle). Other ships seen in the distance are also seen by the port or starboard balconies. The aft has no wind, extra room enough to actually lie in a lounge. Proximity to the Lido dining hall and aft pool area is convienant. The slope of the aft creates its own party atmosphere with other aft residents. The hallways tend to be quiet. But I've only been on 3 aft cruises, maybe someone else can shed more light.

dk

Just wondering....if there is less wind....would that mean if someone was smoking that it would linger there longer....and potentially bother a neighbor more. Also.....Is the sound of the ocean....different than what your hear on a standard balcony. Cause that is what got me hooked on the balcony to begin with.....The boat moving on the ocean sounds like the waves at the beach....Does that sound "Different" on the aft balconies? Thanks

Maybe it is a personalpreference but I love the aft balconies. It is not as windy and it is so peaceful back there. I love watching and hearing the wake of the ship. The balcony is an extended balcony or should I say the ones I have had were. You can always look over to the side if you want to see the coastline. I have never had a ship close enough to us for them to see me. My next cruise I have booked the aft wrap and from what I hear i will probably be hooked on those rooms after that cruise. :D

Some day....I will have to have one of those:cool:

The only time there has been a ship behind us is when we were leaving port. We usually have a stern stateroom and not once have we ever had a ship behind us while at sea. You are still able to see the coastline, but you have to turn your head to see it ;). Like someone else said, it is nice and quiet. Another plus is a larger balcony. Makes it nice when you are cruising with friends and there is plenty of room for them too. YOu can have a nice sailaway party.

But again, it is all a matter of personal preference. As long as you like what you are paying for, that is what counts.

Annieeee

I am hooked on balconies.....just trying to decide if i need to try a regular Aft balcony....can't afford the wrap:o

Thanks

K

dk

""The slope of the aft""??? What is that? An actual slope or angle back there?

Wow Tom....Are the Miracle wraps more expensive???? they are a LOT bigger.

K

On the Spirit Class ships the corners are suites (as they should be, LOL). Formerly Cat 11 cabins - now they have broken them down into multiple categories (now "VS"), and those corners are the 2nd highest price cabin on the ship - only the former Cat 12 (now "GS") are more.

I will be on the Miracle Feb 16th sailing (6 days). Can't wait! I have an aft-wrap balcony and plan on having a sail-a-way party on the huge balcony!

Those are MADE for (Cruise Critic!) get-togethers/parties!!

112710475_7HguA-L.jpg

Tom

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the SUNSHINE! These balconies, for the most part are uncovered and get full sun most of the day. My DH, the sun bunny, will only sail in one of these cabins so he can soak up the rays.

I had been bugging him to go on the Dream with some friends, and he finally relented and said we could, if I could find an Aft cabin. Good thing I snagged the last aft cabin several weeks before, knowing he would relent!

The wraps are a higher cat cabin so they are more expensive.

I mean since the Spirit class ships have the biggest aft wrap balconies....are they more expensive than say the Dream wrap that is a lot smaller??

thanks

On the Spirit Class ships the corners are suites (as they should be, LOL). Formerly Cat 11 cabins - now they have broken them down into multiple categories (now "VS"), and those corners are the 2nd highest price cabin on the ship - only the former Cat 12 (now "GS") are more.

Those are MADE for (Cruise Critic!) get-togethers/parties!!

112710475_7HguA-L.jpg

Tom

Ok.....Does someone from a cruise critic sail...Always have one of these balconies...might be worth the trip:D

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the SUNSHINE! These balconies, for the most part are uncovered and get full sun most of the day. My DH, the sun bunny, will only sail in one of these cabins so he can soak up the rays.

I had been bugging him to go on the Dream with some friends, and he finally relented and said we could, if I could find an Aft cabin. Good thing I snagged the last aft cabin several weeks before, knowing he would relent!

Uh oh....deal breaker for me....i need some shade...and i don't want someone from above looking at me.

K

Just wondering....if there is less wind....would that mean if someone was smoking that it would linger there longer....and potentially bother a neighbor more.

Yes, that's a possibility, although you'd still have some wind when you're moving.

Also.....Is the sound of the ocean....different than what your hear on a standard balcony. Cause that is what got me hooked on the balcony to begin with.....The boat moving on the ocean sounds like the waves at the beach....Does that sound "Different" on the aft balconies? Thanks

Yes, it sounds very different. The sound in a stern balcony is like being next to a waterfall. While the side rooms (especially forward which I like) sounds like waves on a beach. I, too, love that ocean wave sound, but the "waterfall" sound was hypnotic too!:)

Some day....I will have to have one of those:cool:

I am hooked on balconies.....just trying to decide if i need to try a regular Aft balcony....can't afford the wrap:o

We had a wrap on HAL and it was wonderful. Our friends had a regular aft balcony and, although it was deeper, I think I'd prefer a side balcony, especially on a Caribbean cruise. The aft balconies can be real hot in the Caribbean with no wind.

Thanks

K

Hope this helps you make a choice. The wrap balconies are wonderful, but pricey!!

""The slope of the aft""??? What is that? An actual slope or angle back there?

I think dk1 was talking about the aft balcony dividers. The dividers are angled and if you lean on the balcony railing, you can see & talk to your neighbors. Maybe someone can post a pic to show you. I'm at work right now or I would post one. My DD & I had an aft balcony once and had a great time talking to the girls in the next cabin.

Tom, I'm drooling on my keyboard looking at the Spirit class aft wrap. I have to say that I'm shocked to see the Dream's, though. I can't believe how these turned out. You can see on the deck plans that there might be some difference, but not to that degree!

We had an aft balcony on the Pride in 2008 and we have one booked on the Spirit in 2 weeks. Here is a video from our Pride balcony - not a wrap, but next door to one. http://picasaweb.google.com/meb78736/20081006CarnivalPride#5254264751847660642

The afts are partially covered, so there is usually shade, but because of the slant to the stern in the Spirit class, there is also some open area above. The noise is more like a waterfall, and not bad at all - you can barely hear it inside the cabin. There is some issue of soot settling in on stuff you leave out there, and you want to wipe off the chairs in the morning, but I love the experience of the aft balcony.

Just wondering....if there is less wind....would that mean if someone was smoking that it would linger there longer....and potentially bother a neighbor more. Also.....Is the sound of the ocean....different than what your hear on a standard balcony. Cause that is what got me hooked on the balcony to begin with.....The boat moving on the ocean sounds like the waves at the beach....Does that sound "Different" on the aft balconies? Thanks

My neighbors smoked on last weekend's cruise & I did not notice it at all. Sound of the ocean is there as it is throughout the exterior of the ship. Boat moving, well... this past trip was on the Destiny and she was rocking a lot. I believe they were sailing without the stabilyzers due to the engine problems. I may be wrong, am not an engineer.

By the "slope" of the aft I am speaking of how the stern slopes from the main deck up to the Lido. There is an angle. It is not a verticle line, rather a 30* ( ? ) angle which makes it easy to speak with folks on the upper and lower cabins.

dk

Then DECK 4 (as in my picture) on Spirit class ships are for you!! :cool:

Tom

I'll say:D If only I could have changed my status as football pool "donater" to Winna:cool:

i booked my frist aft balcony. not a wrap . our friends have the cabin right next door to us also so we are going to open it up. We are on the Mircale in dec... Cant wait.

Thats awesome to have someone you know nextdoor to have a huge balocony.

We had an aft balcony on the Pride in 2008 and we have one booked on the Spirit in 2 weeks. Here is a video from our Pride balcony - not a wrap, but next door to one. http://picasaweb.google.com/meb78736/20081006CarnivalPride#5254264751847660642

The afts are partially covered, so there is usually shade, but because of the slant to the stern in the Spirit class, there is also some open area above. The noise is more like a waterfall, and not bad at all - you can barely hear it inside the cabin. There is some issue of soot settling in on stuff you leave out there, and you want to wipe off the chairs in the morning, but I love the experience of the aft balcony.

Thanks so much for the link....I can see what your talking about it does sound different.

Unless i can splurge for the wrap....I think i will stick with standard...I do like more privacy...and I do like the waves sound.....but hey....I'll take any balcony cabin on any ship any day:D

thanks

k

Hubby and I have had aft wrap balcony rooms for the past 2 cruises Legend #7298 and are going on the Pride #8273 in July 2010 and have booked another aft wrap balcony. We love them. I only wish there was more available in the fleet other than the Spirit Class. The balconies easily hold 20 people and though they can get quite hot during the day hours it didn't matter to us as during the afternoon high sun hours we were on deck or on excursions so no biggy. We loved it for the morning hours and late afternoon and my grandson loves them as well for the space to play in the mornings and before dinner. The rooms are awesome too especially if you have a third person as we do with my grandson. The bedroom is totally separate from the sitting area and the separate vanity area and full bathroom with two sinks and tub is great. We've never experienced any problems with motion, noise, trash etc. Well worth the extra cost. Looked at booking the Boston to Bermuda cruise through Norwegian ( we live in Boston and have done this many times) and for a comparable room on this cruise it was $1800.00 more. These rooms are more but they are definitely a value compared to other cruise lines.

Hi,

Does this make sense??

Thanks

K

If looking at the wake of the ship is boring to you then you probably won't want an aft balcony. For me that is a major plus. I just love to watch it play out behind us. Another reason I love "afts" is to be able to effectively see the view from both sides of the ship. I've never had a side balcony but was afraid I'd always be wondering what the view from the other side was.

I'll know in 10 days since we have a port side balcony on the Ecstacy.

I mean since the Spirit class ships have the biggest aft wrap balconies....are they more expensive than say the Dream wrap that is a lot smaller??

thanks

Ok.....Does someone from a cruise critic sail...Always have one of these balconies...might be worth the trip:D

Uh oh....deal breaker for me....i need some shade...and i don't want someone from above looking at me.

K

I am bringing a fair sized golf umbrella(with an articulating arm attached for the chair) so I can sit in the sun or the shade!;)

Archived