Question for "Aft" balcony lovers?

luv2gonow

We sailed in an AFT balcony on the Sensation ( E 259 ) in January, and we loved it. Huge compared to a standard balcony...but going by the pictures, NOT as awesome as wrap balcony. We never had ash, dirt or anything cause a problem on our balcony. Also, there are short- cut stairs there for the lifeboat drills :) Our hall was very quiet across the back, with so few cabins. It did mean alonger walk to breakfast, but dinner each night was a short walk and one floor up

Sailed Valor last October, #8455, nice cabin and the balcony is awesome! We had no issues with noise, waste from above or ash from the smoke stacks which are frequently mentioned. This can be a HOT location while in port and in direct sun. There is always the covered portion of the balcony. Truly the best of both worlds. The vew is stunning in all directions regardless of prefrence. We would always book these but they seem to have increased in price with the new cabin category classes. Priced just under the old Cat 11 suites.

Booked next door extended balcony on Valor, 8457, coming up in just a few short days. We booked right at the time the new cats were offered and this was classed as an 8N with a very nice price for an extended aft balcony. The aft locations always seem to be less noisy and active in the hallways.

dh & i have stayed in cabin 6450 (ext balcony) on the conquest. it's the last cabin on the side. The only noise we really seemed to notice was when we were pulling into port and then you could feel/hear some noise and vibration. other than that, it was great.

So dh and i during embarkation day peeked in at our neighbors cabin/balcony before anyone else was there (we were on the ship early) and fell in love with the balcony (aft wrap) and were determined to have one.

I am happy to report that we have booked both aft wrap balconies for our next sailing. one for us, and one for a gift...so no matter what side we pull in to port, we will have a great view.

the biggest disadvantage i would say is this; you can look down and see people and people above you can look down and see you. but guess what, i can see people on a balcony on the side of the ship too. You do lose a little privacy on the aft. no matter to me. i'll either give them a show or offend them and they can go to bed! lol

second disadvantage-it's a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg walk especially on the Conquest class. BIG SHIP! but with that said, the long walk keeps the hallways quieter:) so it can be a win/win situation.

Dream Class: (RUNT of the litter :eek:) - Carnival should be ashamed - REALLY!!

776295525_vpBGA-L.jpg

Tom

Tom,

I see your next Dream cruise will be on deck 7. Is the pic above of deck 8 aft wrap? I recall reading you were trying to get deck 6 aft wrap. If so, did you get any additional pics?

EDIT: I just checked your smugmug albums and found the additional deck 7 pics. What's up with the date stamp? LOL

Tom,

I see your next Dream cruise will be on deck 7. Is the pic above of deck 8 aft wrap? I recall reading you were trying to get deck 6 aft wrap. If so, did you get any additional pics?...

Yes - we made the switch from a deck 8 corner (after seeing the pics early on) to the mid-ship suite. I really wish the corners had "worked out" on the Dream, but "I know corners - and they Sir, are not corners" :D

For our Thanksgiving cruise this year on the Dream we had booked a corner on deck 6 and at least 3 other CC'ers from a big Thanksgiving cruise in 2006 ("Party" on balcony photo previously posted here) booked adjoining cabins in that area, so we are keeping that one. It would appear that deck 6 on the Dream class is the "least bad" aft-corner deck anyway!

What's up with the date stamp? LOL

YEP --- let's call that a relic of pre-digital photo thinking.. :o

:)

Tom

If looking at the wake of the ship is boring to you then you probably won't want an aft balcony. For me that is a major plus. I just love to watch it play out behind us. Another reason I love "afts" is to be able to effectively see the view from both sides of the ship. I've never had a side balcony but was afraid I'd always be wondering what the view from the other side was.

I'll know in 10 days since we have a port side balcony on the Ecstacy.

I hear ya....i'm always on the port side....heard it was better:). And I do wonder what is on the other side....LOL....

OK.....I will have to try it one day I see.....If only i could afford the wrap on the spirit class.....One day:D

I am bringing a fair sized golf umbrella(with an articulating arm attached for the chair) so I can sit in the sun or the shade!;)

Gotta be prepared;)

Sailed Valor last October, #8455, nice cabin and the balcony is awesome! We had no issues with noise, waste from above or ash from the smoke stacks which are frequently mentioned. This can be a HOT location while in port and in direct sun. There is always the covered portion of the balcony. Truly the best of both worlds. The vew is stunning in all directions regardless of prefrence. We would always book these but they seem to have increased in price with the new cabin category classes. Priced just under the old Cat 11 suites.

Booked next door extended balcony on Valor, 8457, coming up in just a few short days. We booked right at the time the new cats were offered and this was classed as an 8N with a very nice price for an extended aft balcony. The aft locations always seem to be less noisy and active in the hallways.

Do you love the Valor...i see you cruise her a lot....or is it just convenient. Thanks

dh & i have stayed in cabin 6450 (ext balcony) on the conquest. it's the last cabin on the side. The only noise we really seemed to notice was when we were pulling into port and then you could feel/hear some noise and vibration. other than that, it was great.

So dh and i during embarkation day peeked in at our neighbors cabin/balcony before anyone else was there (we were on the ship early) and fell in love with the balcony (aft wrap) and were determined to have one.

I am happy to report that we have booked both aft wrap balconies for our next sailing. one for us, and one for a gift...so no matter what side we pull in to port, we will have a great view.

the biggest disadvantage i would say is this; you can look down and see people and people above you can look down and see you. but guess what, i can see people on a balcony on the side of the ship too. You do lose a little privacy on the aft. no matter to me. i'll either give them a show or offend them and they can go to bed! lol

second disadvantage-it's a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg walk especially on the Conquest class. BIG SHIP! but with that said, the long walk keeps the hallways quieter:) so it can be a win/win situation.

God I love those wraps....but privacy is a big deal for me.....Especially cause i'm thinking the people around me paid a lot of money for those rooms and they might be on their balcony more than the average cruiser....which means lots of compamy for me.

Yes - we made the switch from a deck 8 corner (after seeing the pics early on) to the mid-ship suite. I really wish the corners had "worked out" on the Dream, but "I know corners - and they Sir, are not corners" :D

For our Thanksgiving cruise this year on the Dream we had booked a corner on deck 6 and at least 3 other CC'ers from a big Thanksgiving cruise in 2006 ("Party" on balcony photo previously posted here) booked adjoining cabins in that area, so we are keeping that one. It would appear that deck 6 on the Dream class is the "least bad" aft-corner deck anyway!

Tom

Are those wraps on the dream in a suite category.....very high up like the spirit classes.....if so....so not worth it.

K

Hey neighbor, I'm from Statesville. I have 8450 booked in April. Been told that 8450 & 8457 are bigger than the ones in the middle. Would you mind coming back and giving a review of your aft balcony experience? This will be my 1st. Booked it 2 years ago before the changed the classes. Sweet deal. Hope you have a great cruise.

Are those wraps on the dream in a suite category.....very high up like the spirit classes.....if so....so not worth it.

K

Spirit class are suites whereas Conquest and Dream class aft corners are Cat 9 (non-suite) cabins.

... if Carnival would have taken even ONE deck and placed a couple of great corner suites on the Dream... OK, yes - I am DREAMING!!

Tom

I am booked on deck 4 wrap on the Pride. My understanding is that the deck 4 cabins are completely covered, and that they do not have the "sloping" railings. Is that correct? I am really excited about trying out a aft corner!

I am booked on deck 4 wrap on the Pride. My understanding is that the deck 4 cabins are completely covered, and that they do not have the "sloping" railings. Is that correct? I am really excited about trying out a aft corner!

Deck 4 is the one deck with (almost) full overhead coverage. There is very little slope (railings).

To see A LOT of different pictures of Spirit class aft-corner cabins, see my SmugMug link below and look at folders of the Pride, Legend, and Miracle. They are ALL from either cabin 4228 or 4237.

You will LOVE it!

Tom

Deck 4 is the one deck with (almost) full overhead coverage. There is very little slope (railings).

To see A LOT of different pictures of Spirit class aft-corner cabins, see my SmugMug link below and look at folders of the Pride, Legend, and Miracle. They are ALL from either cabin 4228 or 4237.

You will LOVE it!

Tom

Thanks, Tom! I keep forgetting that the Legend and Miracle are basically the same ships. I will take a look.

What is not to love..there is a this year an aft wrap on the liberty! The first is looking down from the empress deck and you only see people when they are at the railing, and the reflection on the glass, the wake and all it's beauty, leaving St. Lucia, and you don't see all this activity by the pilot boats from the side..enjoy your aft and happy cruising...

2019021420_justapeekvibranceandnoisezoom1.jpg.5bb85894487d2b10057827fc619945bd.jpg

P1040674-1a.jpg.13983e136626e3b3f2abdf431cde82c3.jpg

P1040795-1.jpg.7fcc59e48651af39fb3b784d971c3035.jpg

P1040765-1.jpg.22450e4743b0e1e12613e76f4f8a2047.jpg

Tom

Tom, quick question. I have aft 8473 on a future cruise and wondering if I should switch to 6501 while its still available. What do you mean by "least bad" about deck 6 on the Dream class? And, would you expect more noise from the promenade deck from there?

Thanks

Tom, quick question. I have aft 8473 on a future cruise and wondering if I should switch to 6501 while its still available. What do you mean by "least bad" about deck 6 on the Dream class? And, would you expect more noise from the promenade deck from there?

Thanks

I don't see 6501 on the Dream deck plans. If it's a aft corner we are talking about on deck 6, after seeing the balcony and inside of deck 6 (and we were on deck 7) - then 6 is definitely a bit larger. All that I know about deck 8 is from the pictures I have seen, and they look even smaller than deck 7.

... ahh you must be talking about the Magic - I see a 6501 corner there. I would guess it is similar (VERY) to the Dream. I would DEFINITELY make the switch!

Tom

I don't see 6501 on the Dream deck plans. If it's a aft corner we are talking about on deck 6, after seeing the balcony and inside of deck 6 (and we were on deck 7) - then 6 is definitely a bit larger. All that I know about deck 8 is from the pictures I have seen, and they look even smaller than deck 7.

... ahh you must be talking about the Magic - I see a 6501 corner there. I would guess it is similar (VERY) to the Dream. I would DEFINITELY make the switch!

Tom

Thanks Tom, yes, I was really asking about the Magic thinking it would be exactly the same as the Dream.

I just sailed the Pride 1/10/10 and had my 1st aft balcony! IT WAS WONDERFUL! The view of the wake is my FAVORITE! We slept with the door propped open one night and I LOVED hear the sound of the ship and sea!

I just booked an aft wrap around on the Valor and CAN'T wait! If anyone has pictures of these rooms please post! :)

I will have my first Aft Wrap in May on the Liberty and cannot wait.

We have had 3 other prior Afts and are HUGE fans of them. I always wanted one of my own and decided to splurge this time and surprise DH. I still can't believe I kept it a secret these past 200 plus days:):).

We love the quietness. The view of the wake is mezmorizing.... like staring into a fireplace. (We are campers :D:D). I just get lost in my thoughts.

I check out any pics that I can get my grubby litl hands on.

I just sailed the Pride 1/10/10 and had my 1st aft balcony! IT WAS WONDERFUL! The view of the wake is my FAVORITE! We slept with the door propped open one night and I LOVED hear the sound of the ship and sea!

I just booked an aft wrap around on the Valor and CAN'T wait! If anyone has pictures of these rooms please post! :)

HOw long did it take to get warm enough that you could use it? We are booked next January.

Archived