Walk-In Beach Snorkel on Mexican Riviera

mom22tinks

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to do a beach walk in snorkel? We bought our own equipment last fall for Cozumel and Grand Caymen and were hoping to go again when we visit Cabo San lucas, Puerta Vallarta or Mazatalin. I have two little girls 7 and 9. While they can swim the younger one is not a strong swimmer at all and it concerns me that she will not be comfortable being dumped out of a boat and left to float around with the vest. From some of theposts I've read on here, it sounds as if this would probably be overwhelming for her. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated as usual.

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to do a beach walk in snorkel? We bought our own equipment last fall for Cozumel and Grand Caymen and were hoping to go again when we visit Cabo San lucas, Puerta Vallarta or Mazatalin. I have two little girls 7 and 9. While they can swim the younger one is not a strong swimmer at all and it concerns me that she will not be comfortable being dumped out of a boat and left to float around with the vest. From some of theposts I've read on here, it sounds as if this would probably be overwhelming for her. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated as usual.

Jessica

My husband and I are looking for a beach/resort that would offer some fairly good snorkeling directly off the beach in Cabo or PV as well. I am having a hard time finding anything that doesn't involve large groups of people jumping off a boat. My husband LOVES to snorkel but needs to take it slow and he doesn't like holding up a big group of people. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The two best sites in Cabo San Lucas are Playa Santa Maria and Bahia Chileno. Both are located within a km or two just outside of town. The sites can be reached by local bus or by cab. While Cabo has better snorkeling than P.V. or Mazatlan, IMO, it won't compare to your experiences in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

We snorkeled at both places on a land based trip to Cabo. Both are good. The cruise ships bring their boat and kayak tours to both of these spots to snorkle. Try to go first thing in the morning and beat the cruise crowd. They are both nice sandy beaches but with little shade (Chileno Bay has a little shade) so bring lots of sunscreen and bottled water. I don't know when you are planning your trip but we were there in April and the water was pretty chilly. We wore wetsuits. I don't know much about the local bus system but I think a taxi would be easiest. I'm guessing that the bus would drop off at the highway and it would be a bit of a walk. There are no services at Santa Maria; Chileno is larger with restrooms and a bus stop. If I remember correctly we liked Santa Maria better and the fish were closer to the shore.

Archived