Cost?

Interrogation Room

What is the cost of internet on the Carnival Victory? Would my laptop work?

You can use your laptop (if it has wifi) or the public computers in the internet cafe. I seem to remember it's .75 per minute if you buy by the minute. I usually buy the biggest plan they have - 250 minutes for $100. They also hit you $3.95 for activiating the service. Usually during the cruise they will have specials where you can pick up 20 or 30 minutes extra.

Here's the link to Carnival's page about internet service: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

How slow? :mad:

If all you are doing is reading email, it's not bad. But I wouldn't use it for viewing videos or doing any browsing on highly graphical websites.

When I buy a 250 minute package, I'll use it to check my email (GMAIL) twice a day, my GF will check her email (AOL) twice a day, and we'll probably spend an hour or so during the week browsing for something to do in ports or reading the news. And that pretty much uses up 250 minutes.

When you have a site like AOL or Facebook that pumps tons of graphics to your computer, it eats up the internet time and drags on and on. GMAIL usually goes pretty fast because there's very few graphics.

Also, the bandwidth on the cruise ship is shared by everyone. Before dinner time, you will find it a lot slower than at 3 in the morning, because that's when people like to check their email.

I got an At&t sim card, maybe it will work?:confused:

If you mean using your phone for internet access, I believe you will be billed at standard Carnival phone access rates of $2.49 per minute.

There's a few horror stories on Cruise Critics of people not realizing their smart phones were connected, and with the phones checking for email every 15 minutes, they got hit with monster bills the month later for phone access.

If your question is, does your cell phone work, the answer is probably yes. At least, it's supposed to. Once again, $2.49 per minute for incoming and outgoing calls. Mine doesn't tell me if I have voice mail, so I tell people not to bother leaving me messages, because I'm not going to spend $5 to call in to find out I have no voice mail.

I have Verizon wireless and I tell people to send me text messages, because they're only 5 cents each incoming. If I have to make a call, I make it, but I try to wait until I'm in port, where it's usually cheaper.

You have to check with your cell service provider for their international rates.

I got an At&t sim card, maybe it will work?:confused:

I had a Verizon Blackberry and I did not have data services on my phone except in Port Canaveral. In the Bahamas, none of my data services worked. I did not try to use it to access the internet, I just bought a small package.

I would not count on being about to use your AT&T phone for a data/dial up connection for your laptop.

You'll get a text message on your phone in the first day or so that will tell you what the rates are for roaming on the ship. It says nothing about a charge for "data" - only phone calls and text messages (.50 to send, .05 to receive).

The connection was slow but it is a slight exaggeration to say it is slower than dial-up.

I easily used the 110 minutes that I bought and we were not on it much.

We spent 40 minutes coordinating one of our shore days and the rest was spent on downloading e-mail, disconnecting, queing up e-mail to send, logging back on and transmitting the e-mail.

You don't get a refund for unused minutes so buy your packages carefully.

The "get X minutes free" deals were advertised on my sailing during the first 2 days of the cruise. The best that was offered on my sailing was about .45/minute for the largest package.

If you mean using your phone for internet access, I believe you will be billed at standard Carnival phone access rates of $2.49 per minute.

There's a few horror stories on Cruise Critics of people not realizing their smart phones were connected, and with the phones checking for email every 15 minutes, they got hit with monster bills the month later for phone access.

If your question is, does your cell phone work, the answer is probably yes. At least, it's supposed to. Once again, $2.49 per minute for incoming and outgoing calls. Mine doesn't tell me if I have voice mail, so I tell people not to bother leaving me messages, because I'm not going to spend $5 to call in to find out I have no voice mail.

I have Verizon wireless and I tell people to send me text messages, because they're only 5 cents each incoming. If I have to make a call, I make it, but I try to wait until I'm in port, where it's usually cheaper.

You have to check with your cell service provider for their international rates.

$249 per minute:eek: Are they Crazy:eek:

$249 per minute:eek: Are they Crazy:eek:

$2.49 (note decimal point). It's actually a 3rd party (although I'm sure Carnival gets a piece of it). I own my own business, so I have to be in touch, although in most ports you can do it under a dollar. We're going to Mexico next week, where it's .99 per minute. Caribbean varies by island. If you have Verizon wireless, it's all laid out on their website. I think you mentioned a SIM, so you're probably not Verizon, but I'm sure your carrier has their prices listed somewhere.

Archived