Baby-Sitters?? Adventure Ocean?

dogger

My TA tells me that we can book a baby sitter with a 24 hour advance notice and is about $8/hour. I read that the Adventure Ocean is open at night from 7-10pm for free.

Have you done it? Is it in your room where a certified baby-sitter sits in your cabin? I heard that the folks that do the hair/spa are baby sitters at night.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Enchantment of the Seas 2/5/05:p

We've primarily used AO. From 7-10pm they have have a great organized program. Offer an afterhours program in the AO center at an hourly rate - again organized activities.

Only used in-room sitting once, when we were travelling with another couple. Our daughter was much younger and really preferred going to bed earlier.

What's best for you and your child(ren) will be dependent upon several factors:

1) Age - AO is for 3yo and up. Pre-schoolers may feel more secure in the evening in the room and you may want them to stick to their normal bedtime - much easier with in-cabin sitting.

2) Participation - if your child participates in other AO programs, they will know the kids and the councilors and probably prefer AO to staying in their cabin. If they are shy and don't like group activities, you may want to consider alternatives.

3) Interests - the AO program has lots of games and activities going on. What activities would the child have available to them in your cabin? - do you have a portable DVD player, gameboy, other entertainment, do you have multiple children who play well together, do you have a bookworm? You can't expect the in-room sitter to be a great source of entertainment and the in-room TV does not have too much variety.

If your child is well behaved and your activities are suitable for his/her age group; your child may want to participate with you in what you are doing. (not my or my DD's cup of tea, but I do know of one nine-year old who took a nap during the day so that she could go to the shows with her parents)

I wouldn't let cost be the deciding factor. Take your lead from the kids - this is their vacation too.

If you do go with in-cabin sitting, be certain to take precautions to make certain that the environment is safe for your child and that you are comfortable with the sitter the line provides.

Yes,

How old is your child? On RCCL, children have to be at least 1 to use in-cabin babysitting. We have done it two nights on Celebrity and three nights on RCCL. On Celebrity, it was charged to our room, RCCL it was paid in cash. We knew the nights we were going to use the service in advance from reading the boards and booked it the first night at the Purser's desk. We also requested the same person each night. She was wonderful, BTW.

I would be very cautious about letting a stranger babysit my child in the cabin. You do not know these people . When my daughter was younger the only time I used a sitter was when I was working and then it was my sister, my mother-in-law or my best friend. You even need to be carefull of family members. (Maybe I watch to many talk shows but I trust no one)

If you are going on a family cruise and taking young children, I would think that you would stay with them at all times.

Parenting is about taking calculated risks. How does one know they will be safe in Adventure Ocean even though it is a group setting? Statistics do show that a child is more likely to be abused or molested by someone they know than a stranger, so I am not sure leaving them with family members is a better solution.

She's 4-1/2 and we plan to do late dinning using the Adventure Ocean from 7-10pm and thought 1-2 nights we'd like to stay out late, see a show and go to a

bar and have some adult beverages.

I do have some reservations about having someone watch her in our room, but I think we'll do it. I guess it'll be a comfort thing, if the staff seems friendly and all is well we'll ask around and see.

What is a BTW?

How much is the in-room sitting per hour?

How much is the after hours sitting in the AO?

Not a cost issue, just wondering

Bobbie I see you were on the Enchantment in 03? Where was your room, how was the ship, etc?

Thanks for the tips, I really would like to use them.

I think the little one with a proper nap thown in the middle might be able to do the late program, but might be in the meltdown stage after 11pm.

May need to go with the private sitter. I assume you tip them when you pay for the service?

When our daughter was 3 we did the baby sitting in the room. We had a very nice lady, I think she was a steward's assistant. Our daughter loved it. She also loves Adventure Ocean. On our subsequent cruises we had to drag her out at the end of the late night program. At 3 she would tire and we would find her sound asleep in a chair so that is why we decided on in room sitting. We have used in room sitting all over the US and other parts of the world and never had even a mediocare experience they have all been great. She is 9 now and already planning on her Adventure Ocean Experiences.

Have fun whatever you decide

Bobbie I see you were on the Enchantment in 03? Where was your room, how was the ship, etc?

QUOTE]

I can't remember our room numbers, but the rooms were the same as any other inside, but in better shape than most "older" ships. We loved the Enchantment and look forward to sailing her again soon. The kids want to go on again after the "stretch".

We have never used in room service because our kids are older. They are now 10,11,13,14. We have let the younger two stay for the late night sitting. They love being up that late. The youngest, Amanda, still remembers the names of the Adventure Ocean staff.

The crew on the Enchantment was exceptional compared to other cruises we have done. They really go out of their way to make the kids feel special. We also thought the food was above average for RCCL.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Bobbie

You should be cautious but not parinoid. Rules for having in room sitters.

1) plan to spend some time with your child and the sitter all together prior to leaving them. Be certain everyone is comfortable. If you have any "bad" feelings, say you've changed your mind (feign illness, if it makes you more comfortable), pay the sitter for a minimum of a few hours and take a deep breath.

2) If things feel ok, tell the sitter that you will be checking in occassionally and then follow through. The up side of being on a ship is that it is always close enough to stop by and easy enough to call.

3) Let the sitter know your plans, so that if he/she needs to get ahold of you that she can.

If your child is a AO, let the counselors know you might stop by to check in as well. This gives you a chance to see how things are working out. If your child wants to leave or seems particularly tired, take him with. You'll all feel better.

You should be cautious but not parinoid. Rules for having in room sitters.

1) plan to spend some time with your child and the sitter all together prior to leaving them. Be certain everyone is comfortable. If you have any "bad" feelings, say you've changed your mind (feign illness, if it makes you more comfortable), pay the sitter for a minimum of a few hours and take a deep breath.

2) If things feel ok, tell the sitter that you will be checking in occassionally and then follow through. The up side of being on a ship is that it is always close enough to stop by and easy enough to call.

3) Let the sitter know your plans, so that if he/she needs to get ahold of you that she can.

If your child is a AO, let the counselors know you might stop by to check in as well. This gives you a chance to see how things are working out. If your child wants to leave or seems particularly tired, take him with. You'll all feel better.

VERY good advice. I am often way too paranoid as a parent though. I don't think we will use in room sitters, but that doesn't mean I think that they are a bad idea (or that someone who uses them is a bad parent). We may use the AO, depending on what the kids are feeling up to. I think though, that they will come to some shows with us. My girls (4 and 6) LOVE singing and dancing, so I think they would get a kick out of seeing the shows. For this trip, it really is a lot about family time. My husband is working two jobs and doesn't get as much time with the kids during the day...so the quality time together will be great for us. An adult night together, just the two of us would be quite nice though too...so we will see!

• 5 months later...

So just to be clear...RCI does offer Adventure Ocean while in port, as well,right? I read something about private babysitting while in port, so I got a little confused--maybe it was for those under 3. Things sometimes change, so I thought I would ask.

Also, I am looking for some clarification on who they use for the "private" in room babysitting, IF I need someone after AO is closed. I have heard some reports of cabin stewards to dancers to AO staff. Does anyone know for sure? Hubby is worried about his first cruise with the kids. I know they will be very well entertained and probably inseparable from the kid's program, especially on a "Voyager Class" ship.

So just to be clear...RCI does offer Adventure Ocean while in port, as well,right? ....

who they use for the "private" in room babysitting, ...

AO opens 30 minutes before docking, and stays open until sailing time. Only AO eligible (3+ and potty trained) are eligible.

Who they use varies. On Rhapsody, Natalie (deck/pool attendant at the time) sat for us. Your sitter could come from several areas, but they would have to be on non-duty time during the sitting to avoid conflict with their regular assignment.

Straight from the RCCL web site...

"For older children, we offer group sitting in the Late Night Party Zone. The service is offered from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. in our youth facilities. Children must be at least three years of age. The rate is $5 USD an hour per child.

For childern at least one year of age, we also offer individual sitting in your stateroom from 8 a.m. until 2 a.m. Rates are generally between $8 and $10 USD an hour, depending on the number of children in your family. Payments must be made in cash.

We require 24 hours advance notice and the guests can confirm the service with Guest Relations upon boarding."

Archived