What should we do at McKinley Princess Lodge

My Lady Sydney

We will be spending two nights at the Princess McKinley Lodge. Does anyone have a suggestion of the best tours to use at this location.

Hi!

You will find a lot of threads on these boards regarding this excursion. There are generally 2 types - Over the top summit flights and circle the summit flights that might or might not include a glacier landing (extra cost). We took the over the top summit flight and it still is the most incredible excursion I have taken anywhere. Absolutely awesome!

I cannot recommend anything else in the same category!

We were at McKinley Lodge and took a flight from Talkeetna and did a glacier landing. It was very nice--I hope you have a chance to do a flight as well. We were there for just one night so that was that was all we really had time for, except to have dinner and explore downtown Talkeetna for a bit. It was a fun little town---its worth budgeting a couple of hours I think.

We will be spending two nights at the Princess McKinley Lodge. Does anyone have a suggestion of the best tours to use at this location.

This "location" is out in the middle of nowhere and the tours nearby are limited. You are 50 miles from Talkeetna- the nearest town so take the shuttle there- make good use of your time. Above is mentioned flightseeing. It is the top tour available. I have flown many times out of here on both the summit flights and ski planes- with the summit (o2 equipted over the top) tours always my preference. The venders here are excellent and it's simple to book direct- just be sure you get the shuttle on time. Talkeetna has great resturants- try the Roadhouse for breakfast or lunch, the Latitude for dinner.

This "location" is out in the middle of nowhere and the tours nearby are limited. You are 50 miles from Talkeetna- the nearest town so take the shuttle there- make good use of your time. Above is mentioned flightseeing. It is the top tour available. I have flown many times out of here on both the summit flights and ski planes- with the summit (o2 equipted over the top) tours always my preference. The venders here are excellent and it's simple to book direct- just be sure you get the shuttle on time. Talkeetna has great resturants- try the Roadhouse for breakfast or lunch, the Latitude for dinner.

My 2 cents--the Princess Lodge is out in the middle of no where (no doubt about that), but I would still recommend staying there. I have nothing to compare it to in terms of the accomodations at Talkeetna or nearby, but Princess' McKinley Lodge was my favorite of the places I stayed. They have a very lovely balcony that overlooks Denali--on the day we were there the weather and the views were beautiful--we spent a lot of time just soaking in the scenery on the balcony, watching the sky and mountain change colors as the sun set, etc. The other thing that I liked, was the fact that was in the middle of no where--I liked the isolation. Now, we were only there for one night--I don't think I would want to stay there for a week, but it was nice for a short stay.

When we were there for two nights on a Princess cruisetour two years ago, we booked a flight-seeing independently with Talkeetna Aero Services for the day we got into Talkeetna. They picked us up at the train station (although we could have walked), and we were able to drop our carryons off with them and wander around the cemetary and climbers memorial on our own before the flight. Then they took us into town (again, we could have walked but they insisted), pointed us in the direction of a little shop where we stow our carryons for a very small fee (dollar a bag, or something), we grabbed a bite at the Roadhouse, walked around town, and caught the Princess shuttle to the lodge.

We spent the next day as an "off" day just for R&R. I read a novel and alternated lounging on the porch overlooking the lovely mountains and by the awesome fireplace in the "great room". BF took a nap and watched TV back at the room ... feel free to be appalled (I was).

The lodge truly is in the middle of nowhere, which is why we wanted to do a trip right after we got off the train rather than treking to the lodge then back to town for an excursion. It's a lovely place, but I must warn you ... the nature trails around the lodge are very lame!

WE did two different excursions at McKinley Lodge. The first night we arrived we took a hayride. It is apparently not a very popular tour, we were the only people on it, but the five of us had a fabulous time.

The ride is kind of hokey, but the guides were very entertaining. They bring you to a place where you can do a little panning for gold and tell tales about different aspects of Alaskan living.

Unfortunately, Denali was not "out" but we would have had a terrific view if it had been.

The second tour we took four of us went on. It was to an Alaskan homestead via jet boat. The jet boat only takes up to 6 people, so it is a very personalized trip. The boat driver is the homesteader and he regaled us with tales of his early days in Alaska. Upon arriving at his homestead we got a little tour and then had a snack in his home with his wife and met his daughter and a friend. This tour was one of the highlights of our trip and I highly recommend it if it is still offered.

we booked it through Princess at the Lodge. It was also available to be booked on the train if you are on a Princess tour.

I can't remember the price, but think it was about $85 pp.

You are taken to a landing place by the Princess van, then go for the jet boat ride on the river (about 1/2 an hour each way) to the homestead. The whole tour was about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Archived