CRISIS - Thomson Destiny

Im a South African passport holder with a residency permit for the UK. I applied to the French Embassy for visa for Martinique, couldn't get the visa because I can't produce my children's unabridged birth certificates (I only have the abridged birth certificates), they are saying I cant prove Im their mother *****, application for these will take 3/4 months to issue!

If I cancell I loose £3K! I phoned Thomson's pre-travel dept (spoke to an agent and the Supervisor), explained my situation, they have said, they would still allow me on the ship, which contradicts everything they have sent me in writting. I only require a visa for Martinique which is our 2nd port of call.

ADVICE/THOUGHTS

What type of passports do the kids have. Could you not just stay on board in Martinique. Get Thompsons to confirm by email the conversation that you have just had and that you can travel

That's what I would do too. Get it in writing, and just have a fun day onboard. Probably all the other ports of call are Commonwealth?

Im a South African passport holder with a residency permit for the UK. I applied to the French Embassy for visa for Martinique, couldn't get the visa because I can't produce my children's unabridged birth certificates (I only have the abridged birth certificates), they are saying I cant prove Im their mother *****, application for these will take 3/4 months to issue!

If I cancell I loose £3K! I phoned Thomson's pre-travel dept (spoke to an agent and the Supervisor), explained my situation, they have said, they would still allow me on the ship, which contradicts everything they have sent me in writting. I only require a visa for Martinique which is our 2nd port of call.

ADVICE/THOUGHTS

Might you be ok in Martinque if you go on a Thomson trip? Some destinations you can only go ashore with an organised excursion if you don't have a visa e.g. St Petersburg - but as long as you're with the 'official' excursion apparently it's o.k. Hopefully that may be possible at Martinque - I know it's very frustrating that you wouldn't be able to adopt a DiY approach to this port of call - but it might just be an option. I do hope so.

Also at places like St. P. people sometimes arrange private tour operators and they will obtain temporary visas for passengers who book tours with them - is it possible to research this possibility in Martinque? It would probably be expensive but could just be another avenue worth exploring.

At least you are going to be allowed on the cruise - what a relief - but what a worry it must have been for you. Good luck, anyway. :)

P.S. Just done a search on Martinque tour firms - it doesn't look promising - and they are categorically stating on a Martinque site/cruise passengers that without a visa you must stay on the ship - unless you are exempt from having one. Sorry! :(

Just found this on martinique.org which would suggest that if you have a uk residency permit you do not need a visa.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS

Passengers in the following situations may enter Martinique without a visa:

• United States of America citizens
  • European Economic Community (EEC) citizens
  • Non-EEC citizens who hold a valid Schengen visa delivered in France, OR a valid residence permit issued by one of the European Union member states, one of the EEC states, Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco or San Marino

Thanks everyone for your replies! I've spent the afternoon on the phones, NO ONE CAN GIVE ME A CLEAR CUT ANSWER!! Ive tried getting Thomson to put what they have said to me in writtting, Im awaiting an email, (nothing yet).

Slodge UK is not part of the EU so that doesn't apply to me! :confused::mad:

I will just have to go and see what happens!!!! We will get as far as Dominican Rep, after that....................................................:confused::confused:

Thank you

I can't see why you will not be allowed in the ship. The situation is similar to Baltic cruises that stop at Russia. There you need a visa unless you are on a pre-arranged excursion; those that don't have visas simply stay on the ship. You're not on foreign soil until you step off the gang plank.

No. I called numerous times, left messages, no one called me back or emailed me.

Ive resigned myself to not being able to get on the ship, and if that happens Im just booking into a hotel and enjoying a week in the sun :confused::D:mad: Im defo not staying home, lol!

If I get a chance and IF I get on board I will let you all know!

We are leaving for Manchester Aiport hotel at around 9pm or later and then just off to the airport at 8am.

Slodge/Booze I hope to see you :D

Well i sincerely hope all goes well for you, i cant see a reason why they wouldnt let you on in all honesty though. I wish i was going tomorrow, but still ive got another 8 weeks to wait.

Enjoy it and i look forward to hearing what happens as soon as you can post it. Ill be hoping for you.

John

No. I called numerous times, left messages, no one called me back or emailed me.

Ive resigned myself to not being able to get on the ship, and if that happens Im just booking into a hotel and enjoying a week in the sun :confused::D:mad: Im defo not staying home, lol!

Why do you not print out the mentioned website? It seems clear cut to me, that they will let you in. It just might be the last persuasion they need to give you the "all OK". I think it is a bit strange if this is the law that the French embassy did not know about it. This website is the official site of the Martinique Tourist Board.

I guess it's too late for you but...

The Martinique visa requirements are pretty clear in the original French and in translation - you must be an EU citizen or hold a French residence permit. So you clearly do not qualify

However with it's worth try - a liberal minded border control officer could well decide to apply the spirit rather than the letter of the law

I doubt she will be like the other poster on that other thread who never returned to post the second part of the review...i guess the thought of other people going and her coming home was too much to bear.

Come on Masterpoo, we want to hear all about how good it was!

I doubt she will be like the other poster on that other thread who never returned to post the second part of the review...i guess the thought of other people going and her coming home was too much to bear.

Come on Masterpoo, we want to hear all about how good it was!

Thats right we never did get part 2 :D

mrs.c

Helllloooooo, each time Ive wanted to post a reply Ive been distracted!

I got to go on the cruise which was AMAZING!!!!

We flew out no probs, got to Dominican Republic no probs, got on ship no probs, arrived in Martinique, officials were notified and they had no problem. They did say if I didn't have my residency permit for the UK I would not have been allowed to get off the ship. I was not asked for visa/documentation when checking in which I found strange (one would think you have to check all documents before embarkation??)

Anywhoo the ports were FANTASTIC we had an absolute ball! Unfortunatley I doubt I will ever go back on the Thomson Destiny!

Archived