confused about the dress code on the Carnival Freedom

mll66

Hello everyone!!

I am new to this site BUT not a newbe cruiser!!

I have read about the dress code for men on the carnival freedom and i am getting conflicting answers. Can men wear nice shorts and polos or nice jeans and polos on non-formal nights in the dining room? We are traveling with our 21 year old and 16 year old boys. Our last cruise was on royal caribbean Freedom of the Seas and the men/boys WERE allowed to wear shorts/jeans in the dining on NON-FORMAL nights.

Sailing on Carnival Freedom April 18th!!!!!!

OP: Welcome to CC. No reason to be confused. Check the suggested dress recommendations on the Carnival web site. It is written in standard plain English very easy to understand. Carnival no longer has a "Formal" night, it is now called "Elegant" night. They have dumbed down the dress to fit the desires of most of the passangers.

I don't agree most of the passengers. The majority still wear dress pants and nice shirts. "Elegant" night most men still wear tux's, suite w/tie, or sport coat and tie. Why is it so many in society have a problem with cleaning up oneself for dinner? If you wish to be casual then go to the Lido.

OP: Welcome to CC. No reason to be confused. Check the suggested dress recommendations on the Carnival web site. It is written in standard plain English very easy to understand. Carnival no longer has a "Formal" night, it is now called "Elegant" night. They have dumbed down the dress to fit the desires of most of the passangers.

Was one of the passengers the first month the Freedom started. On Freedom, as all other CC cruises, the following is what we have gnerally seen.

All nights except "Elegant Night" we see long dress pants and dress or sport shirts. We did see 2 in shorts so far.

On "Elegant Night" most still wear Tux's, suit's w/ties, or sport coats and ties. We have seen very few not dressed properly.

Why is it such a big deal for someone to bring up their teenages to dress up once in awhile? If you want to be casual stay on the Lido.

Some of us still enjoy the cruise experience of individuals cleaning up and looking good for dinner.

There is nothing more beautiful than seeing all of the beautiful women in their gowns and beautiful dresses. A look that is going, from the past, but shoud be preserved, in my opinion.

And if we men enjoy looking at a beautiful woman dressed great then we should give the women the respect to dress great for them to look at also. Have fun on your cruise! I know you will enjoy!

Edited by Nowisthetime1

I am one of those who, while I don't necessarily think men need to be in tuxedoes and women in ball gowns for "formal" or "elegant" night, I *do* think that shorts -- on either men, women, or children over 12 -- aren't appropriate for dinner even on "non-formal" nights. It really doesn't take all that long to pull on a nicer pair of chinos or khakis or even "clean dress" jeans (whatever they are!) -- after a shower, or at least a "washing up". And a clean neat shirt. Even if you head back to the cabin immediately after dinner and change back into shorts and t-shirts, at least it seems to me to be respectful to bother to clean up a bit for dinner. Heck, I even clean up a bit when we head to our local pub for Friday fish fry!

Well, we may think what we like (and I am also one who enjoys being nicely dressed, hence I will not be found cruising on Carnival)....

However, Carnival's OWN rules state that both jeans and "dress shorts" (an oxymoron if there ever was one) are allowed on casual nights:

(From Carnival's website):

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

This is our first cruise on Carnival. Just for the record WE always dress for dinner. We are traveling with another family who do NOT like to dress up. My boys wear khakis and dress shirts to dinner suits/tuxes on formal nights. So WE will go to the dining room dressed up and the other family will be in shorts. If it works for them it's fine with me. Whatever floats your boat~no pun intended!!!!

Thanks again for all your replies!!!!!!

Edited by mll66

i don't care what cruise line it is. i think just out of respect, shorts should never be wore inthe mdr for the evening meal. if you what to wear shorts, and this is your choice, eat in the buffet...

I applaud you! I can't stand to see people in jeans and shorts in the MDR. This is one reason I don't like Carnival.

Welcome to CC.:) Yes, as written in Carnival's policy you are allowed to wear nice shorts or nice jeans and polos on non-formal nights.

Please ignor those that feel it necessary to attempt to impose their own personal views about dress code upon others here on cc. The only rules that count are those of the cruiseline and they're fine with what your guys might wish to wear. And you'll find that the majority of those on your cruise will also be just fine with your choice too.;) Hope you enjoy your Carnival cruise!:)

This is our first cruise on Carnival. Just for the record WE always dress for dinner. We are traveling with another family who do NOT like to dress up. My boys wear khakis and dress shirts to dinner suits/tuxes on formal nights. So WE will go to the dining room dressed up and the other family will be in shorts. If it works for them it's fine with me. Whatever floats your boat~no pun intended!!!!

Thanks again for all your replies!!!!!!

How about just letting the other family know that their boys should wear long pants to the dining room and then they can change into their shorts afterwards - as others have mentioned, shorts are OK in the lido area (buffet) - nobody seems to care how anyone dresses there but out of respect for others in the main dining room who want to enjoy a nice evening (and not necessarily fancy), they should dress appropriately. Just my opinion - I wouldn't let our 20-year old son eat in the dining room dressed in shorts (and he's never asked because he knows the "rules")!

Edited by cruiselover57

• 6 years later...

Seriously? What a bunch of stuffy losers. There is literally nothing worse in my opinion than having to dress myself or my kids up while on a cruise. I'll go to the dining room in any clothes I want, and smile and wave at all of you uptight, uncomfortable jerks on my way in. I paid the same price as you, thank you very much.