Sea Sick

Interrogation Room

Since we never cruised before, I was wondering if Sea Sick will be a problem for us.

If air sick and car sick are problems, then sea sick may be too. Do a search on "Sea sickness remedies" and you will find lots of information on what people do to prevent or reduce the problem.

Judging by the number of passengers taking cruises these days, between larger ships, better navigation tools that can avoid rough seas, and ship stabilizers, the issue of sea sickness is greatly reduced.

Since we never cruised before, I was wondering if Sea Sick will be a problem for us.

It will depend... Have you ever suffered from motion sickness? If so, then there is a chance however there are plenty of 'over-the-counter' items you can buy. Bonine (better than dramimine less drowsy), Sea Bands (pressure point wrist bands), Ginger tablets, etc... Many things to choose from. They also sell the bands and bonine on the ships. Good luck!

If you don't get car sick ect.., you will probably be fine, if you do, you still may be fine.

I see so many people on the ships that have never sailed before with motion sickness wristbands, dots behind the ear, ect...These people have no clue it they are going to get sea sick. I think you should bring something incase you get sick but don't wear it until you know for sure. They have wonderful pills at the front desk that help right away & they are free.

If you, like me, are prone to motion sickness there is a very good chance that you will get sea sick. You can buy sea sick patches by having your doctor prescribe them for you. I think that they are around $12 a patch. You can stick these behind your ear and leave them there for 3 days. The water got rough on my last cruise and I got a little bit sea sick, but nothing like I would have if I wouldn't have worn the patch. They are a great investment and definitely worth the $12 a patch!

If you don't get car sick ect.., you will probably be fine, if you do, you still may be fine.

I see so many people on the ships that have never sailed before with motion sickness wristbands, dots behind the ear, ect...These people have no clue it they are going to get sea sick. I think you should bring something incase you get sick but don't wear it until you know for sure. They have wonderful pills at the front desk that help right away & they are free.

I completely agree. Be prepared but don't assume you will get sick. The patches and pills can have some side effects so I would wait until you know if you are prone to it or not before putting the chemicals in your system. If you do, then by all means treat yourself for the future. But there's also a good chance you won't get sick. I've always traveled with non drowsy dramamine and ginger Altoids just in case and have never needed either one - even in some really rough seas.

Best guess is that it will not be a problm unless you have a history of motion sickness.

Book on the lowest deck in the center of the ship if you want to minimize motiong when you are in your cabin.

Whats the motion like at the back of the boat? I dont get sea sick, but i am always in the center. just curious if i will be rocked to sleep at night. :)

Whats the motion like at the back of the boat? I dont get sea sick, but i am always in the center. just curious if i will be rocked to sleep at night. :)

The front and the back do get more movement, but I think you'll be fine. The back can get more vibration though.

Be sure to drink plenty of water. Not just liquids, but actual water. Often people are sick not from seasickness, but from dehydration.

I've posted this before, but it still makes me laugh: There is an old radio program called "The Bickersons" staring Don Ameche as John and Francis Langford as Blanche.

(On a cruise)

Blanche: "John, what do I do if I get seasick?"

John: "Don't worry -- You'll do it!"

I get motion sick in the back seat of cars and on amusement rides, but only slight motion sick once on a cruise! We nearly always book aft and high, too...

I use Bonine two days prior to sailing and once on board in the morning and evening....no problems!

And the last cruise we were on the sea was rough, very rough....lots of people not doing well.

Also, make sure you eat enough...LOL...no problem on a cruise!! But, really, keep your stomach full and even eat a green apple to help, if you do feel sick.

Just fun and forget about the motion sickness thing.....you'll be so relaxed and happy!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been on one cruise and am a very queezy kind of person. I was great the first day, but it hit my on day 2 - utter debilitation for about 4 hours. My savior as Bonine - it was a miracle drug. Once it kicked in - I was like a new person. It was quite astounding - Have another cruise planned for the future and the one thing I will do now is start taking it before departure. It did make me pretty sleepy/mellow - so I took only 1/2 pill in morning and 1/2 at night - it worked like a charm.

I am prone to motion sickness and on our first cruise it hit me at dinner the first night. I took the pills and put the patch on. My nephew told me to go where the wind could blow in my face. It worked wonders. After that my husband and I would both try to stay where the wind was always blowing. a couple of hours on deck and was great the rest of the day.

On our first cruise I was so afraid hubby and dd would get sick because they are prone to motion sickness. I had no worries about me.

The first day I was sooo sick and hubby and dd were fine! :rolleyes:

Nothing helped and I spent the first night and next day in bed

Our second cruise I started taking bonine three days before we left for our cruise and I was fine the whole cruise :)

My advice is if you are worried bring something for "just in case" :)

On our first cruise I was so afraid hubby and dd would get sick because they are prone to motion sickness. I had no worries about me.

The first day I was sooo sick and hubby and dd were fine! :rolleyes:

Nothing helped and I spent the first night and next day in bed

Our second cruise I started taking bonine three days before we left for our cruise and I was fine the whole cruise :)

My advice is if you are worried bring something for "just in case" :)

Yes, to me its better to take it and not need it, than to get sick then take it. I took it my first 3 cruises and then tried the next couple without and never had a problem.

"They also sell the bands and bonine on the ships. Good luck!" They are sold onboard but expect to pay a great deal more than you would pay at walmart or a drug store at home.My daughter-in-law uses the patch and it works great for her. We took some ginger snaps on one cruise in anticipation that it would be a rougher sailing, which it was. We didn't need the ginger snaps for sea sickness but they were a tasty snack!I personally love the motion at the back of the ship, I'm normally prone to insomnia but I sleep better on ship than anywhere. The motion just rocks me to sleep.

"They also sell the bands and bonine on the ships. Good luck!" They are sold onboard but expect to pay a great deal more than you would pay at walmart or a drug store at home.My daughter-in-law uses the patch and it works great for her. We took some ginger snaps on one cruise in anticipation that it would be a rougher sailing, which it was. We didn't need the ginger snaps for sea sickness but they were a tasty snack!I personally love the motion at the back of the ship, I'm normally prone to insomnia but I sleep better on ship than anywhere. The motion just rocks me to sleep.

Bad info.. I don't know about the bands and I doubt they work anyways, but the pills are given away free of charge. Zip.. Nada.. Nothing.. Unless Wal-mart gives you them free and gives you money, you're better off getting them on the ship.

Go get the free pills on the ship from the infirmary. If those dont work. have a shot of Patron.

Interesting screen name btw...;)

Archived