First time with the kiddos?

zdkrempin

My wife and I love cruises and are wanting to take our boyz next summer. The question we have is "are they to young"? They will be 4 and 2.5 next June. We have seen kids on our previous 2 cruises and all seemed well but want the the inside scoop on the good and bad from you experienced parents out there.

Also would it be better to go on a 4-5 day instead of the 7?

Thanks to all

I think they will be fine. We had kids of all ages in our group on our last cruise...from 2 to 15, and they were all great and all loved it. Camp Carnival is awesome. I'm not easily impressed, but my kids BEGGED to go at every opportunity. My biggest pieces of advice would be to A.) be mindful when choosing your cruise to choose "kid friendly" ports, and B.) expect it to be a great cruise, but not the SAME as when it's just the two of you.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I'm happy to help. :)

Good point. I hope he will be by then but you never know. He he couldn't swim that would make for a bad trip.

thanks guys

Quite honestly, the 2 YO in our group was so in love with Camp (and the only times that Camp is closed is 12-2 and 4-6), he didn't even notice he couldn't swim. Even MY kids (6 and 10) were so busy that they got in the pool for like 10 minutes and then got preoccupied in doing other things. They actually just enjoyed the down time to be able to play with their toys and chill in the cabin the few hours they had free.

We started crusing when my youngest was just shy of 3 - and he has loved every minute of it. He was #2 trained, but not completely #1 (though he was wearing big boy underwear during the day, but pullups at night). I took him to the bathroom before he swam, and every 30 mintues if he was in the pool. But honestly, he only went 1 or 2 times because he wanted to be in camp. Also, there is plenty of opportunity to swim at the beach on your shore excursions.

The only issue I have had is with sleeping arrangments - luckily, my mom has traveled with us on 3 or 4 cruises, so they go in the room with her. If you are not so lucky, a standard room for 4 (on Carnival at least) is going to have the two singles, and a lower and upper bunk. I would not want to put a 4 year old in a bunk. So I would either have them share the single or have one of them on the floor.

The other alternative is to book a suite - they have a HUGE room - with a double pull out sofa. This is what we did the time my mom did not come. On the Fantasy Class ships, they are very reasonable, especially if you can find a Suite Guarantee price (they have to put you in the Cat 12 suite because you have 4 people).

The other advantage of the Fantasy class ships is several have Waterworks, which is a great play area for young as well as old.

Our 1st cruise was 7 days - and actually, I think that is easier because there is plenty of time to relax. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the Fantasy class do 7 day trips.

I think we've decided to go for it. We love taking our boyz traveling. Thank you for sharing all your experiences.

Congrats. Keep reading this family board as you will get tons of ideas how to make it go smoothly with the little ones.

PS - LOVE the Spirit class ships - they have the best layout of all of them. Be sure to put the boys in camp for dinner at least one night and take advantage of a grown up dinner in the steakhouse.

Archived