Aerial Photos of Vancouver Great Overviews

These views will give everyone a great idea of where everything is. For everything pretty well related to getting around and seeing what we know so well.

It's a fairly big load on your puter so beware.

The first and main picture gives you and over view looking towards the North Shore mountains. You can just see Canada Place the White structure projecting out into the Water mid picture.

If you scroll to the right along the skytrain tracks you will see an open green space and a Grey Older Train Station. That is indeed where Amtrak arrives.

Use the camera icons on this photo to get a view looking back

http://www.aerialphotoimage.com/panoramas/GreaterVancouver/OlympicVillageVancouver.html

The outdoor flame is located at the new convention center - about a block from the cruise ships near the foot of Burrard/Thurlow St.

That's me on the right with one the torch bearers - most were more than willing to let you touch and hold the torch - thanks Gordon runner # 74 today.

Glad that you enjoyed the opening ceremonies - I got a sneak preview at the dress rehearsal on Wednesday but seeing it from a different view on the tele and in HD make it all the more awesome.

Cheers

Dennis

490738280_CopyofTorchrelay2Feb122010015.jpg.27b51e5375cf70950bc804721edaef4e.jpg

The outdoor flame is located at the new convention center - about a block from the cruise ships near the foot of Burrard/Thurlow St.

I think I now where that is. Burrard street I seen on the map but i am guessing i walked on it too. i was at the Pan in 06 and will be this July.

That's me on the right with one the torch bearers - most were more than willing to let you touch and hold the torch - thanks Gordon runner # 74 today.

I notice last night that people were letting people touch it. I watch right to the end. i felt that the show was understated but more breath taking than others. Sometimes less is more.

Glad that you enjoyed the opening ceremonies - I got a sneak preview at the dress rehearsal on Wednesday but seeing it from a different view on the tele and in HD make it all the more awesome.

Cheers

Dennis

how did you get so lucky. You must of been out at some point to get your great picture. I plan on watching most of the games. i will be back in B.C. in 5 months.

If you were at the Pan in '06 you probably saw the construction going on next door looking towards Stanley Park - that is the Convention center and where the cauldron is located - they have renamed the area the Jack Poole Plaza in honor of the man most credited with bringing the Games to the City and how because of his Metis First Nations heritage was instrumental in getting the First Nations on board as full participants.

Yesterday the torch took a circuitous 30 mile loop through the City - much of it downtown - I had watched it near my home in the morning and later headed out for a walk and a visit to my gym - after that I stopped at Robson Square where a couple of the touch bearers were there - they were either heading to or from a torch bearers "party" at the local CTV station - they are the broadcasters for the Games - whose studio was a block away.

So glad that things like the protest went off without any major disruptions or damage - that despite the tragedy earlier in the day the opening ceremonies were well received and that people partied late into the night.

The picture was actually taken on my Blackberry.

Now that the hype of the opening ceremonies and the lighting of the cauldron is over I might be able to get back to some degree of normality and get myself set for the Paralympics - in less than three weeks I will be in Whistler.

Coinciding with the Games are our Chinese New Year celebrations - and there neighbourhood is next door to some of the Olympic venues - I will be attending a lunar celebration tomorrow.

Cheers

Dennis

If you were at the Pan in '06 you probably saw the construction going on next door looking towards Stanley Park - that is the Convention center and where the cauldron is located - they have renamed the area the Jack Poole Plaza in honor of the man most credited with bringing the Games to the City and how because of his Metis First Nations heritage was instrumental in getting the First Nations on board as full participants.

I saw and heard the construction. I now will be able to see the building from my hotel room.. wow! to get shots of the cauldron from that hotel. The "First Nations" part was great. I did not realize howmany tribes live there. I do wish i was ther now.. Of course I would be a little cold.

Yesterday the torch took a circuitous 30 mile loop through the City - much of it downtown - I had watched it near my home in the morning and later headed out for a walk and a visit to my gym - after that I stopped at Robson Square where a couple of the touch bearers were there - they were either heading to or from a torch bearers "party" at the local CTV station - they are the broadcasters for the Games - whose studio was a block away.

lucky you!!

So glad that things like the protest went off without any major disruptions or damage - that despite the tragedy earlier in the day the opening ceremonies were well received and that people partied late into the night.

it was hear breaking but you do not change years in the planning and ruin the day for millions.. plus i watch it live from home-not taped!!

The picture was actually taken on my Blackberry.

I am going to have so much fun in July. . this time i plan on Granville Island and Chinatown. .Not sure what else. .spending 2 days in Whistler. like to take a boat ride of the area to see parts of Vancouver I have not seen.

Now that the hype of the opening ceremonies and the lighting of the cauldron is over I might be able to get back to some degree of normality and get myself set for the Paralympics - in less than three weeks I will be in Whistler.

Sounds like a fun busy time.. too bad Putter is in AZ not golfing.. he is missing all hte fun too.

Coinciding with the Games are our Chinese New Year celebrations - and there neighbourhood is next door to some of the Olympic venues - I will be attending a lunar celebration tomorrow.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, that sounds really cool. i hope you post a couple pictures. you do mean the area that has the japenese garden? had a nice walk ther and lunch befreo i went to N Vancouver.

Thanks for the updates.

I think you are referring to the Sun Yat Sen Gardens in Chinatown - and there is a big celebration there this weekend as well - my event is out of the downtown area - it is in a church hall that we use regularly.

Cheers

Dennis

I think you are referring to the Sun Yat Sen Gardens in Chinatown - and there is a big celebration there this weekend as well - my event is out of the downtown area - it is in a church hall that we use regularly.

Cheers

Dennis[/quote) yes iam but could not remember the name. i feel like i am back there now.

It's like Madri Gras in downtown tonight - lots of side parties - street bands - the binners are enjoying the extra bottles and tins they are finding - people, families are all smiling - breaking into O Canada on the spur of the moment - a lot more pleasant than the yahoos this morning who think by breaking windows and tagging cars that they are making a statement - judging by the sentiment of the people in this very Liberal and tolerant, open city what little support they had and many people are sympathetic to the feelings about the costs associated with the Games - they have lost that support big time.

In 17 days I leave for Whistler - perhaps I should try and find a count down clock for that event

Enjoy Valentine's day tomorrow

Cheers

Dennis

It's like Madri Gras in downtown tonight - lots of side parties - street bands -

families are all smiling - breaking into O Canada on the spur of the moment -

In 17 days I leave for Whistler - perhaps I should try and find a count down clock for that event

Enjoy Valentine's day tomorrow

Cheers

Dennis

I sure hope that they sang it the correct way Dennis. Rather than the way that good looking young lady sang it at the Open Ceremony. That was truly uncalled for. :)

Taped the Ceremony and am watching it right now. Went to a Pub friday nite and was unable to see all of it as we were having to good a time. lol.

We sang it the old fashioned way - out of tune and in English only although I was hoping for some of the gathered mass to switch to French - I am actually slowing learning the French words - guess if you hear it enough and attempt to sing it it was come.

The guys - referring to all those involved - call themselves Decentralized Dance Party.Com - they had there music boxes and apparently a small FM frequency so they were all playing the same music - it was fun - they would try to get us oldish standing on the sideliners out dancing - it was fun and the cops were enjoying it while at the same time trying to ensure that there wasn't any open drinking.

With Richard Looney and now Mark Donnelly we have been spoiled when it comes to the anthem - she actually changed the presentation a little from the dress rehearsal after some of the criticism from those in attendance - guess that is one of the ideas of a dress rehearsal.

Cheers and GO CANADA GO !!!

Dennis

Yes - I was walking downtown just after the medal was won - If I thought the previous night was boisterous we outdid ourselves tonight - I think our laid back nature is taking a beating during these Games and there are likely to be many more such celebrations and so far the hoopla has been peaceful - haven't heard on any significant arrests or any thing from the good times.

It was however announced tonight that the person who is facing the most serious charges from the violence the other morning is an American from Shoreline, Washington which is part of Seattle - if he is convicted he could face a life time ban from traveling to Canada although I think they will probably just deport him.

Cheers and GO CANADA GO !!!

Dennis

Yes - I was walking downtown just after the medal was won - If I thought the previous night was boisterous we outdid ourselves tonight - I think our laid back nature is taking a beating during these Games and there are likely to be many more such celebrations and so far the hoopla has been peaceful - haven't heard on any significant arrests or any thing from the good times.

I would be so into the partying- as an American i am proud to call Canada a friend. less than 5 months i will be in your home town.

It was however announced tonight that the person who is facing the most serious charges from the violence the other morning is an American from Shoreline, Washington which is part of Seattle - if he is convicted he could face a life time ban from traveling to Canada although I think they will probably just deport him.

Cheers and GO CANADA GO !!! and America.. Our countries should have the msot metals.

Dennis

These people were very stupid. deporting works but i think he needs soem real jail time. his family and freinds are already embrassed for him but he was wrong!

Thanks Robin for your comments - actually I believe the Germans are expected by some to have the most medals by the time the Games are over - I think us locals owe the organizers a big gold medal for getting that course on Cypress ready for the Games - we have a week of sunshine and temps in the 50's coming up - while great for the sun tans and showing off the beauty of our City it won't help produce more snow BUT it should help get rid of the fog at Whistler.

Going to take it easy today then tomorrow night I have tickets for the victory ceremonies - good chance that O Canada will get sung there that night and perhaps more than once and then its a concert by the Bare Naked Ladies - what the organizers have done is have each province host the victory party - and in most cases the band or entertainers will be from that province. It's was BC last night and Nelly Furado(?) was the featured headliners.

CHEERS AND GO TEAMS GO !!!

Dennis

Archived