Voyages to Antiquity Pompeii etc. May31

Ontariotrekker

I go away for a long weekend, and look what happens! Glad you kids have made up. My friend and I have mailed in our customs info and our choices for the optional excursions. I guess unless someone posts from the ship we won't know if the July 27th improvements happen, but we will forge ahead with our plans, and optimistically head across the Pond on August 9th.

In case I don't get a chance later, I'm wishing you a bon voyage (in every sense). Will you please post a review on this thread the MOMENT you return, as my final payment date will be looming shortly after your cruise. I really do hope they've made the improvements as mentioned, and has improved on their "deficiencies".

In case I don't get a chance later, I'm wishing you a bon voyage (in every sense). Will you please post a review on this thread the MOMENT you return, as my final payment date will be looming shortly after your cruise. I really do hope they've made the improvements as mentioned, and has improved on their "deficiencies".

I'll certainly do a brief post right away, if not a whole review. If it looks like there is actually time for me to post from the ship I may do that also. From the description of the quiet nights, that's a real possibility! I wonder if it is still true that the press have been invited back on our dates. If so, you would also be seeing their posts as we did during the "maiden voyage" at the beginning of this thread.

If you charged anything in Port on the Rome to Venice trip, were you required to show a license or passport? Wondering if I'll need to take my driver's license on the trip.

We travel around Europe a lot and never have to show ID when we use a credit card. I assume this was what you were asking. That said, I would always have my photo driving licence with me, as a 100% proof I am who I say I am!

If you charged anything in Port on the Rome to Venice trip, were you required to show a license or passport? Wondering if I'll need to take my driver's license on the trip.

I would definitely take your drivers licence. You are advised to have a picture ID with you when you leave ship, and since the ship has your passport, the drivers license does the trick.

So the ship does hold your passport? I know that some do and some don't, generally.

On the Discovery, they held it and gave them back to us at each port where they were necessary. So if VTA is out of the same family as the Discovery, this might be a similar practice, though we were venturing well out of the Schengen Treaty countries where the practice might be different, .....as you will soon be too.:)

So the ship does hold your passport? I know that some do and some don't, generally.

They hold the passport but you can get it if you need to change money on shore. You do need to return it to them though.... I actually got a customs stamp from Taormina!

The V2A website has now posted the schedule for the 2011 cruises. There is now a single supplement attached.. about $800 for a single cabin but you do get free airfare if you book before Oct 31. They have included a very interesting cruise of the Black Sea. I know I'm going to regret saying this:) but I'm kind of thinking about it. - Shar

$800 isn't all that bad compared to supplements on other cruise lines. Is that just for the single cabins, which I would have thought should have no single supplement - or for a single in a double cabin?

Of course, we'll never beat this year's inaugural fare although some (or should I say many) will argue it wasn't worth it. Still optimistic about the fixes - we embark 1 week from today!

Noticed the prices have already gone up when you now ask for a quote - approx $400 a person more than when they started this year. Things must have gotten fixed up so they are not giving these things away any longer, so if you locked in your early price you are getting even more of a bargain for this maiden voyage.

AEGEAN ODYSSEY

Inspection details :

Date of first boarding : 27/07/2010

Date of final boarding : 28/07/2010

Port of inspection : Piraeus, Greece.

Type of inspection : More detailed inspection

Nb of deficiency(ies) : 8

Ship's particulars at the time of inspection :

IMO number : 7225910

Name : AEGEAN ODYSSEY

Flag : Malta

Callsign : 9HA2404

Ship type : Passenger ship

Gross tonnage : 11906

Keel date : 1971

Classification society :

- Class certificate issued by Lloyd's Register (LR), classification society responsable for issuance of class certificate as at date of first boarding

Statutory certificates :

- International Air Pollution Prevention Cert is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- Passenger ship safety (inc. exemp.) is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- Document of compliance (DoC) is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- Safety management certificat (SMC) is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- Load lines certificates is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- Oil pollution prevention (iopp) is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- Tonnage certificate is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- International sewage pollution prevention certific is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

- International ship security certificate is issued by Lloyd's Register (LR)

Ship manager

- Samos Island Maritime Co Ltd, Greece

Areas inspected :

- Accommodation and galley

- Engine and steering room

- Navigation bridge

- Outside decks and forecastle

- Passenger spaces

Operational controls carried out

- Communication equipment

- Emergency fire pump

- 15 ppm OWS tested

Deficiencies :

- Accident prevention (ILO147), Other (accident prevention)

- ISM related deficiencies, Development of plans for shipboard operations

- Life saving appliances , Lifejackets

- Load lines , Other (load lines)

- MARPOL annex I, Control of discharge

- Radiocommunications, Other (radiocommunication)

- Ship's certificates and documents , Prevention of pollution by oil (IOPP)

- Structural safety, Stability/strenght/loading information and instrum

The interesting thing is that there are some deficiencies not yet fixed and several new ones that weren't on the previous list.

The reason for this inspection was because: "When deficiencies are found or the ship is reportedly not complying with the regulations, a more detailed inspection is carried out."

Please note I have been told in writing by VtA that all the earlier deficiencies were fixed within a week of the first inspection. This is not true. I have also been told by VtA in writing that last week's inspection only found one deficiency. Also not true.

I suspect that if this ship was being inspected somewhere other than a Greek port it would not be sailing.

Thanks for posting. While the deficiencies are still troubling, it's worth noting that on a detailed inspection, Aegean Odyssey has gone from 27 deficiencies to 8. Presumably a "detailed inspection" looked into the ship operations more thoroughly, so not too surprising that a few additional items showed up.

On comparing the two lists of deficiencies, there is only one item that is exactly duplicated: MARPOL Annex 1: control of discharge.

One other item is similar, but from the wording, it's hard to determine if it is exactly the same deficiency:

Initial inspection: Accident prevention (ILO147), Personal equipment

Recent inspection: : Accident prevention (ILO147), Other (accident prevention); And listed separately: Life saving appliances , Lifejackets

I have to admit that I feel less worried than previously and am glad to know that most of the previous deficiencies are addressed, at any rate.

I'm very interested in what this deficiency means:

"Structural safety, Stability/strenght/loading information and instrum"

Do you know whether it's possible to get more information on what this means?:(

I presume that it would not be allowed to sail if this was a significant failing.

I'm very interested in what this deficiency means:

"Structural safety, Stability/strenght/loading information and instrum"

Do you know whether it's possible to get more information on what this means?:(

I presume that it would not be allowed to sail if this was a significant failing.

I did spend quite a bit of time searching yesterday to try to find any detailed explanations for the various "deficiencies" but was unable to find anything. Perhaps someone else will have had better luck than me.

However, I did read (link below) that ships with serious "deficiencies" would not be allowed to operate. They would either be detained in port until the deficiencies were rectified or ultimately they could be impounded. As neither of these things happened, presumably either the 8 deficiencies were fixed prior to Aegean Odyssey's departure or they were not so serious as to stop her from operating.

These are the conditions under which a ship can be detained:

Criteria for detaining a ship by PSCO

The main criteria for detention is that the ship is deemed unsafe to proceed to sea and that the deficiencies on a ship are considered serious by the inspector. These deficiencies must be rectified before the ship may sail again. In the annual report of Paris MOU, it stated that the major deficiencies are:

1. Certification of crew

2. Safety

3. Maritime Security

4. Marine Pollution and Environment

5. Working and Living Condition

6. Operational

7. Management

These deficiencies are the most common concern of a PSCO. When these deficiencies are clearly hazardous to safety, health, or the environment, the PSCO would require the hazard to be rectified before the ship can sail or detain the vessel or even issue a formal prohibition of the ship to operate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_State_Control

And here is some further explanation regarding the sequence of actions taken when ships have deficiencies:

Under Port State Control (PSC), inspection of ships in port would be taken by Port State Control Officer (PSCO). Annual report of Paris MoU reported a total of 74,713 deficiencies were recorded during port state control inspections in 2007. These deficiencies resulted in 1,250 detentions in the same year.Detention of the ship is the last course of action that a PSCO would take upon finding deficiencies aboard the vessel.

Courses of action a PSCO may impose on a ship with deficiencies:

1. Deficiencies must be rectified before the ship can depart the port;

2. Under specific conditions, deficiencies can be rectified when the ship arrives at the next port

3. Deficiencies can be rectified within 14 days for minor infractions

4. Detention of the ship

I think you're safe blakemanny. If you go to the ParisMou site and look under the detentions sections you will get a better unerstanding of deficiencies. Here are the highlights:

"When deficiencies are found during the inspection, the nature of the deficiencies and the corresponding action taken are filled in on the inspection report. Some examples of actions taken are: ‘master instructed to rectify deficiency before departure’, ‘ship detained’, ‘flag State informed’, etc.

The descriptions of all codes for “action-taken” can be found on the reverse side of Form B of the inspection report.

In principle, all deficiencies must be rectified before departure of the ship. It is up to the professional judgement of the PSCO to decide that he has to board the ship on a second occasion to check personally if all deficiencies have indeed been rectified.

The following are the main criteria for the detention of a ship:

• a ship which is unsafe to proceed to sea will be detained upon the first inspection, irrespective of the time the ship is scheduled to stay in port;
  • the deficiencies on a ship are so serious that they will have to be rectified before the ship sails.

In case deficiencies are clearly hazardous to safety, health or the environment, the maritime authorities will ensure that the hazard is rectified before the ship is allowed to proceed to sea and for this purpose they will either detain the vessel or issue a formal prohibition of a ship to continue an operation. The flag State will be notified as soon as possible.

If deficiencies cannot be remedied in the port of inspection, the maritime authority may allow the ship to proceed to another port, subject to any appropriate conditions determined by the maritime authority of the port of departure, with a view to ensuring that the ship can so proceed without unreasonable danger to safety, health or the environment. In this case a follow-up inspection will normally be carried out in this respective port. " (my emphasis)

Unfortunately we don't get to see the reverse side of Form B to see what the exact nature of the deficiency is but I suspect they are fairly minor in nature. If the Aeagean Odyessy had been found unfit for sailing at either of her inspections she would have been detained and not allowed to sail. If you want to see some really scary ships go to the "caught in the net" section.

Next week will we recognize our fellow cruise critic posters by those checking for cracks and safety equipment? Perhaps counting life jackets and interrogating officers? Seriously, I'm relieved that the number of deficiencies has been so reduced, and that there was nothing found to delay the ship from its itinerary.

I find it strange is that you have all ignored the fact that VtA has lied in their letter to me.

It's also not great that they haven't got a clean bill of health and that new deficiences have appeared.

Also citing Wikepedia is a poor choice of source. Over here in the UK we do tend to view it as a very unreliable.

Once again, no one is arguing at all that the early cruises were not all that was promised.

However, I did go back and re-read all the earlier posts and found that OntarioTrekker has twice said that despite the issues she'd consider another cruise on VtoA, and Agnes M reported a list of 9 positives in addition to the problems/issues she encountered. Somehow, things like that always seem to get omitted when you and another postere summarize the experiences of others. :rolleyes:

The key for me is to see what more recent cruisers will report. There were a couple of positive posts from a cruiser on another board, but haven't heard anything since the first day or two of their cruise (currently on board).

Here are a couple of positive things about the cruise that I went on; forgive me if I am repeating myself:

1. The weather was great

2. My cabin was of a good size and always very clean

3. The evening visit to San Marco's Basilica was amazing

Perhaps someone out there (maybe even Andrea Corman herself?) can explain why exactly it is, when she had a perfect platform to tell the world that the problems had all been fixed, she chose instead to focus solely on the narrow issue of the defective ParisMOU reports? So, from the horse's mouth, what exactly is the status of:

1. the funnel soot and oil smuts?

2. the antiquated and unsafe tenders/the crew's ineptitude in operating them?

3. the canteen quality food/the wine that does NOT come from "countries we will visit"?

4. the chaotic organisation and scheduling?

5. the dangerous swimming pool

6. the dangerous stair lips

7. the dodgy aircon

8. the sulphur or sewage-like smell

9. the noisy and vibration-prone cabins

I will certainly report on what I find next week, and if any of these problems are still present I'll report that too, but I promise I will not be vindictive & rude and I'm hoping this thread can return to the pleasure it once was to read. Thank you for any helpful tips regarding the ports - they've been duly noted - but I honestly wish you both would stop with this vendetta and let those of us who have made the decision to "carry on" enjoy the anticipation of our trip.

Well that makes for interesting reading ie Pat's messages to Bullshead.

These are/were not kinks and I really wish that the VtA apologists would stop using this word. It makes the serious issues with this ship seem to be trivial...which is what of course VtA want you to believe.

Archived