Fresh off the Jewel last Sunday ~ Questions?

becky48417

Did you take any "ruins" tours? If so please comment.

Did you see the Cirque show? Was it great?

wasnt on this sailing did the 24-31 sailing....did the ALTUN HA MAYA RUINs & BELIZE city thru NCL...GOOD tour even in the rain!!

the CIRQUE show was FANTASTIC..get there early for a GOOD seat...trying to remember....maybe 15 to 20 rows from the stage!!!

ENJOY the JEWEL i LOVE those colors in the ATRIUM!!!

Thanks for volunteering to answers questions...

did you eat at any speciality dining rooms...if so what are your thoughts and how much were the extra charges for them?

Did you take any "ruins" tours? If so please comment.

Did you see the Cirque show? Was it great?

We travel later in March and hope hope hope we don't have to visit GSC but do hope we get KW or Nassau....

Thanks...Donna

We were on the Jewel for the Christmas cruise. We ate at LeBristro, Teppanyakis and the Tex/Mex place. My favorite is always Teppanyaki which is $25 pp. LeBristro the same price I believe although we had it as part of the romance package (before the price went up). We had lots to eat at the Tex/Mex place - also very good. We really liked Blue Lagoon - fun menu and good food!

We did the Olde Belize River and Altun Ha ruins in Belize - very good tour. Saw lots of wildlife and included a meal.

We went to Chacchoben Ruins CM - takes an hour to get there but we felt worth the drive.

Yes, we saw the Cirque show - it is excellent!

We did get to GSC but not real warm. It would be a very fun day if it was sunny and hot.

Becky, were you able to spend the day on Great Stirrup Cay??

i heard that both weeks before your trip they did not stop there. thanx

We were not able to stop at Great Stirrup Cay. One guy on the ship said it was his 7th sailing and he's never stopped there for one reason or another. He's doubtful it exists! :rolleyes:

Hey can you tell me about your day at Maya Chan? We are booked there and really excited about going? How was the lunch? Did you kayak? How was the beach? Any pictures?

Thanks,

Misand

Maya Chan was AWESOME!! We met them in front of the museum and they sent us to the resort in a taxi. It was probably only about 5 miles away but it was slow going because the roads are still really bad. The lunch was tacos with steak or chicken and soup. They also had grilled fish. Everything was cooked fresh on the grill in front of us. I didn't kayak but a few people did. They are sitting right out on the beach for anyone to use. They also had a couple of trips you could take with a guide. One was a bike ride to another section of beach with snorkeling, I think. Another was a kayak trip, which they had to cancel because it was really windy.

The beach was beautiful. I do have pictures and am working on getting them online. They also had massages....$25 for 30 minutes and it was a very good massage! One feature you should know about is the webcam. If you go to their website and look at the webcam, you can send the link to your friends and family back home so they can see you. My friends & fam got a kick out of seeing us on there. There are also 2 notebooks on the bar with internet access.

Tell us about the cappucino. Free is gone, right? Did you pay for any and was it good?

Do they have regular tv channels available in cabin - want to get news on the Olympics.

From Colorado and familiar with some of the skiers.

Free is gone. I am not a coffee drinker so I didn't pay for any. There were a few regular channels available in the cabin but the reception was poor and they blink in & out most of the time.

Hi Becky, hope you don't mind that I jumped in an answered a couple of questions. Where you at the Meet and Greet?

I don't mind at all! I missed the meet & greet because I fell asleep on a chair out by the pool!! Hazards of vacation, I guess! ;)

Did they have theme nights on the ship, like caribbean night or country western night? We have the same Western Caribbean cruise booked for March 28th. This will make our 8th cruise with NCL. Love the freesytyle! How was the sailaway party? We were on the Jewel 3 years ago and they didn't even have the sailaway party out of Miami since it was a bit cool and windy. My DH and I are also from Michigan, east of Ann Arbor. Where in Michigan are you from Becky?

Sharon

Did they have theme nights on the ship, like caribbean night or country western night? We have the same Western Caribbean cruise booked for March 28th. This will make our 8th cruise with NCL. Love the freesytyle! How was the sailaway party? We were on the Jewel 3 years ago and they didn't even have the sailaway party out of Miami since it was a bit cool and windy. My DH and I are also from Michigan, east of Ann Arbor. Where in Michigan are you from Becky?

Sharon

The only theme I noticed was the White Party, in which all the crew and passengers should wear white (if you had it). The sailaway was fun, they had music and a bbq by the pool.

I was born in Ann Arbor but live in Birch Run now. What town are you from?

I can say yes, there were 3 omellette (sp?) stations at the Garden Cafe breakfast buffet.

Beer was buy 5 get 1 free. It was just about $30 for a bucket of 6 bottles of beer. The souveneir drinks were about $10 for dacquari's, etc... You could purchase them in a small cup for $7.50.

Tim Kaminski was hilarious but he left the ship last Sunday. The ship itself was great but we weren't crazy about the entertainment. It felt like you always had to wait for something to start...lots of gaps in the music. The poolside band would play for a couple of hours, take a 2 hour break, then play for a couple more hours. I'm

The ports were the best we've ever been to and I HIGHLY recommend Maya Chan Beach in Costa Maya. It was excellent!!

Thanks for your mini updata (review). You say that the Maya Chan beach was great. Given that we will not be in the Caribbean probably ever again, would you suggest us going to the ruins instead? We are from Australia and it is easy for us to get to beaches, but hard to find old ruins!!).

Thanks

Hi Becky

We are in Belleville. We go to Frankenmuth just about every year for a chicken dinner at Zenders and we have also shopped at the outlet mall in Birch Run. Looking forward to getting on the Jewel again at the end of March. It's a beautiful ship. We will be doing the Tabyana Beach Party excursion in Roatan and the Jungle Beach Break in Costa Maya and the Train Tour in Belize. We will probably stay on the ship when they go to the private island since we were there 3 years ago. No need to see it twice. We will just kick back and enjoy the ship. I read somewhere that you no longer get chocolates on your pillow at night. Is that true? One more question, were you bothered by sand fleas in Roatan?

Sharon

Norwegian Jewel's Hotel Director is John O'Hara (correct spelling). :)

OP and recent Jewel cruisers: Which night did you experience the White Hot Party on? Rumor has it that it's moved nights since Paul Baya came onboard as the CD.

Also, who are the entertainers other than JAR in the main theater now?

Thanks! :)

I did not attend the White Party but believe it was Friday or Saturday. Besides the singers/dancers the other acts were a Jazz/Trumpet player/Tap Dancer (Chance Powell?) and a ventriloquist lady doing her first show (can't remember her name). Hopefully someone else that paid more attention will answer you.

I read somewhere that you no longer get chocolates on your pillow at night. Is that true? One more question, were you bothered by sand fleas in Roatan?

chocolates on your pillow at night are GONE have been for awhile now...

we took a city tour in Roatan with NCL and ended up at a little beach resort and NO SAND FLEAS there!!!

I did not attend the White Party but believe it was Friday or Saturday. Besides the singers/dancers the other acts were a Jazz/Trumpet player/Tap Dancer (Chance Powell?) and a ventriloquist lady doing her first show (can't remember her name). Hopefully someone else that paid more attention will answer you.

Went and looked on my "Freestyle Daily". The ventriloquist was Sylvia Fletcher. (Not the best ventriloquist I've ever seen):rolleyes:

It must have changed recently then (possibly this week). Whoops. I'll keep my eyes posted. It was on Wednesday evening when I was onboard in early January. Thanks for the reply.

I was wrong - thinking of the Crew Talent Show......The White Party was indeed on Wed night.

When I'm saying "not the best" I'm referring to her comedy (or lack of)

The ventriloquist may be OK when paired with someone else........just had trouble holding a show on her own. I did not like her comedy either. I'm not an expert on ventriloquists but, she did a good job of not moving her lips. However, the "dummy" voice sounded just like her own voice so it was hard for me to tell which one was talking - unless one watched her face.

Archived