Whale watching and white water rafting

taylortroop

Hi, booked a cruise for June 11, leaving from Vancouver, Canada. My husband and I want to do the whale watching and white water rafting in Juneau, but don't have time for both. Can anyone suggest if we can do either of these activities at any of the other ports. I'd hate to have to choose between them. Thanks

We'll be travelling the Inside Passage. Ports are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Any help would be appreciation. I think it's going to be a battle of the sexes over this one!! Also really want an opportunity to walk on a glacier. Thanks

If you want to see whales you got to do it in Juneau. If I remember right I think they might even guarantee it. Since you can not do both I recommened going Kayaking in another port. If the winds are blowing you will feel like it was whitewater rapids.:)

Hi, booked a cruise for June 11, leaving from Vancouver, Canada. My husband and I want to do the whale watching and white water rafting in Juneau, but don't have time for both. Can anyone suggest if we can do either of these activities at any of the other ports. I'd hate to have to choose between them. Thanks

Hi!

I am not sure where you live, but, if you must make a choice, go with whale watching. I love white water rafting (Colorado, Arkansas, Green, etc.), but it is available all over in the lower 48. I have taken whale watching cruises in Boston and they do not hold a candle to the experience in Alaska!

There is a float trip (not white water) through the bald eagle preserve in Haines. If interested, check to see if your cruise line offers it. If not, it can probably be booked independently. Just make sure you have sufficient time in port.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Alaska!

I have done both and NEVER recommend the float trip in Juneau - there is no white water. Only a brief distant view of Mendenhall then the rest trees and backyards. Money is far better spent elsewhere. Humpbacks are seen 100% of the time out of Juneau. If of interest- no contest what to choose. Consider Orca Enterprises. You can combo book this with Coastal helicopters which saves an hour of shuttle time- if of interest do it- it is the top tour in my opinion.

. I have taken whale watching cruises in Boston and they do not hold a candle to the experience in Alaska![/color]

Although I whale watch every chance I get in Alaska, The east coast in my experience is superior. :) But for clairfication- you do not want the tour out of Boston- you have too far to go to get to the whales- Stellwagon- you want a trip out of Gloucester or Cape Cod. The absolute best area is the South Channel of which I have spent 2 trips per year on multi day research trips. Nothing but humpbacks all day. :)

. I have taken whale watching cruises in Boston and they do not hold a candle to the experience in Alaska![/color]

Although I whale watch every chance I get in Alaska, The east coast in my experience is superior. :) But for clairfication- you do not want the tour out of Boston- you have too far to go to get to the whales- Stellwagon- you want a trip out of Gloucester or Cape Cod. The absolute best area is the South Channel of which I have spent 2 trips per year on multi day research trips. Nothing but humpbacks all day. :)

Thanks for the tip. I have only lived up here a couple of years and was disappointed with the Boston trips. I'll try the Cape!

Originally Posted by Budget Queen

Although I whale watch every chance I get in Alaska, The east coast in my experience is superior. But for clairfication- you do not want the tour out of Boston- you have too far to go to get to the whales- Stellwagon- you want a trip out of Gloucester or Cape Cod. The absolute best area is the South Channel of which I have spent 2 trips per year on multi day research trips. Nothing but humpbacks all day.

And what is the weather like on these east coast trips? I conjour(?) up very cold, wet, windy scenes in my mind!!!

Originally Posted by Budget Queen

Although I whale watch every chance I get in Alaska, The east coast in my experience is superior. But for clairfication- you do not want the tour out of Boston- you have too far to go to get to the whales- Stellwagon- you want a trip out of Gloucester or Cape Cod. The absolute best area is the South Channel of which I have spent 2 trips per year on multi day research trips. Nothing but humpbacks all day.

And what is the weather like on these east coast trips? I conjour(?) up very cold, wet, windy scenes in my mind!!!

Absolutely NOT. The humpbacks are seasonal like and about the same timeframe as Alaska May- Sept. On the day trips- you don't need a jacket in the summer and only a lightweight wind breaker other times. I go out on the extended trips usually twice/ year and the dailys several times in between. The bonus is the cheap costs. AGAIN you do not want Boston trips- it takes over an hour just to get out of the bay, and when these are 3 hour trips- you aren't going to see much.

Ditto putting the axe to the white water trip. Did it a couple of years ago and was very disappointed. I was 24 at the time and traveling with my mother. Everyone else on the raft was over the age of 75. No white water at all. They said we hit class 2 for a couple of mins. but I've been rafting before and thse people lie. Not very exciting except for the first few mins. when you have a nice view of the Mendenhall Glacier. However, you can take a shuttle up there for $5 as opposed to $100 for the rafting.

I actually live on Cape Cod and usually go out about once a year when people visit. Lots of humpbacks out in the bay. For me the most exciting whale watch was off of Washington when we took a boat to see orcas. Saw tons and they're really playful.

Did another cruise to AK on HAL last summer and saw whales almost daily.

Archived