?? re: dining (food) and dress code

Zeno

We are seriously considering Silversea for an upcoming significant anniversary but we have a couple of questions.

Unfortunately for health reasons we must both watch our diets - it is my understanding that it should not be too hard to get low-fat, low salt meals - can anyone who has done this clarify?

Also we MUCH prefer resort casual dressing (DH has had to wear business suits for years and refuses to wear them on vacation). It is my understanding that one can get meals delivered to cabins? If so - this may be an option for us on formal nights? On other nights can DH get away with a sport jacket and decent pants and NO tie (he has lovely silk shirts that he actually enjoys wearing so at least that is not a problem). As for me - silk pants and a nice tops??? and maybe a slightly dressy dress ?

SS can accommodate special dietary needs. You can request this on your Guest Information Form on the SS website. All you need is your booking number. On formal nights, if you do not want to dress you can dine in your suite or dine at La Terrazza (that's the way it was last Nov.) Your husband and you will be fine on semi-formal nights (jacket required, tie optional). On casual nights, no jacket is required.

Depending on where you are sailing and the length of that cruise, you might have two formal nights for a 7-10 day cruise and three formal nights for a two week cruise. On our July 1-16 Silver Cloud cruise from Copenhagen along the Norway Coast, we will have three formal nights. On our two previous cruises on Crystal and Seabourn, the dark suit and tie worked fine for the "formal" nights. It is manageable and it will all work out fine. You'll see a wide range of clothing, especially with the ladies.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The chefs will cope with pretty much any diet (except kosher, I think). You can expect the Maitre d' to make contact with you on day 1 to confirm your exact requirements and a senior waiter will either explain what is suitable on the standard menu at every meal, or deliver a special menu if appropriate -- for vegetarians, in particular. Do fill out the online form or use the booking form to give advance notice of what you need.

Actually, we were on one of the SS ships a few years ago when Rudi Scholdes was corporate chef (he's now Culinary Director for the company). He told us that if someone wants kosher food (of whichever type), it can definitely be done but the corporate office needs advance notice so as to arrange for it. Something like a one or two months' advance notice, as I recall him saying but they can definitely do it.

Unfortunately for health reasons we must both watch our diets - it is my understanding that it should not be too hard to get low-fat, low salt meals - can anyone who has done this clarify?

This is no problem. I had the same request. When I boarded I got a letter advising me to see the maitre'd...he explained that I should always mention to the waiter that I wanted low fat, low salt. Most of the time, the food came without the sauce (because that's where most of the salt is), sometimes I asked for the sauce on the side (just to make sure I didn't miss out:D). They also have yummy "zero" ice cream and low fat desserts.

Make sure u fill in your requirements online before u go.

Eating in your cabin is easy if u don't want to dress up for formal night. Just ring through your order and it can be delivered course by course if u wish. Nothing is any problem!

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Archived