Copper Canyon - looking for info

dixiedog

hi dixiedog....we're on the feb 14 cruise also

I found this link to general copper canyon info copper canyon

and found two great books on Amazon.com (but I gave them to B-I-L)

There is also a PBS program...Rails of America or something like that. I saw the rail trip on PBS last year....maybe it's in your library?

The native people sound fascinating, and the scenery wonderful. I hope the train seating areas are comfy...five hours each way could get painful ;)

see you feb 15...3pm at the ice cream!!! :D

Anniecat - just noticed your reply - I haven't visited this thread for awhile - seem to be checking out the Roll Call these days! We also look forward to the 3 pm ice cream!! I just read (from Dot73, I believe) that the Copper Canyon tour now meets at 4 am and leaves the ship at 4:30. We're still undecided on this trip because of the cost. Darn - still haven't found that money tree in the back yard and besides it would be buried in snow! We're so excited about this trip - can't wait!! Every cruise feels like the first to us - we just love 'em!!!

I am booked on the Copper Canyon excursion (Feb. 14 Ryndam). Below is the body of an e-mail I received yesterday from HAL giving more details about the trip. Hope it helps.

Dear Guest(s),

Thank you for booking The Copper Canyon by Train tour. Holland America Line is very excited to be offering this once-in-a-lifetime experience. This is the first season a cruise line has offered a one-day journey to the canyon. Since our shore excursion brochure was published and the description posted online, we have been made aware of some deviations. Listed below is the up-to-date description and some special notes you should be aware of before participating on this tour. As some of the first guests to experience this tour, we hope you come onboard with an adventurous spirit.

The Copper Canyon by Train - Approximately 17-18 hours

This rugged, full-day adventure will begin with a meeting time on board of 4:00am for a 4:30am departure (subject to change). Take a two-hour drive by motorcoach to the town of El Fuerte where you will board your privately chartered train on the Chihuahua Pacifico railway. Enjoy a leisurely morning and a continental boxed breakfast on board the train while you traverse the magnificent Sierra Madre Mountain range -- only accessible by rail. Your approximately six-hour rail journey (each way) will wind through tunnels and bridges as you climb from sea level to 7,200 feet. Arrive at Posada Barrancas, where lunch will be served at the Posada Barrancas Convention Center. Before or after lunch, there will be a short transfer by school bus to the Mirador Hotel where you will have the chance to admire the vastness of the Copper Canyon from the terrace of the hotel. A Tarahumara dance presentation will be held outside the entrance to the hotel. Board the train for your journey back to El Fuerte with live Mexican music and an afternoon boxed snack, and then transfer by motorcoach from El Fuerte for your return to the ship. The journey up and back will be along the same route.

Special Notes:

-The train cars are not wheelchair accessible.

-Guests should bring a coat, hat and gloves as it may be cool at higher elevations.

-Comfortable walking shoes are recommended as terrain is uneven at the stops.

-Guests who have a heart condition or respiratory difficulties should note that the tour gains over 7,000 feet in elevation in a short period of time.

-For your enjoyment, there are 2 cars on the train that will sell beverages and snacks (US dollars, cash only, accepted).

We hope you enjoy Copper Canyon, considered by many to be the most scenic rail route in the world!

• 3 years later...
I am booked on the Copper Canyon excursion (Feb. 14 Ryndam). Below is the body of an e-mail I received yesterday from HAL giving more details about the trip. Hope it helps.

Dear Guest(s),

Thank you for booking The Copper Canyon by Train tour. Holland America Line is very excited to be offering this once-in-a-lifetime experience. This is the first season a cruise line has offered a one-day journey to the canyon. Since our shore excursion brochure was published and the description posted online, we have been made aware of some deviations. Listed below is the up-to-date description and some special notes you should be aware of before participating on this tour. As some of the first guests to experience this tour, we hope you come onboard with an adventurous spirit.

The Copper Canyon by Train - Approximately 17-18 hours

This rugged, full-day adventure will begin with a meeting time on board of 4:00am for a 4:30am departure (subject to change). Take a two-hour drive by motorcoach to the town of El Fuerte where you will board your privately chartered train on the Chihuahua Pacifico railway. Enjoy a leisurely morning and a continental boxed breakfast on board the train while you traverse the magnificent Sierra Madre Mountain range -- only accessible by rail. Your approximately six-hour rail journey (each way) will wind through tunnels and bridges as you climb from sea level to 7,200 feet. Arrive at Posada Barrancas, where lunch will be served at the Posada Barrancas Convention Center. Before or after lunch, there will be a short transfer by school bus to the Mirador Hotel where you will have the chance to admire the vastness of the Copper Canyon from the terrace of the hotel. A Tarahumara dance presentation will be held outside the entrance to the hotel. Board the train for your journey back to El Fuerte with live Mexican music and an afternoon boxed snack, and then transfer by motorcoach from El Fuerte for your return to the ship. The journey up and back will be along the same route.

Special Notes:

-The train cars are not wheelchair accessible.

-Guests should bring a coat, hat and gloves as it may be cool at higher elevations.

-Comfortable walking shoes are recommended as terrain is uneven at the stops.

-Guests who have a heart condition or respiratory difficulties should note that the tour gains over 7,000 feet in elevation in a short period of time.

-For your enjoyment, there are 2 cars on the train that will sell beverages and snacks (US dollars, cash only, accepted).

We hope you enjoy Copper Canyon, considered by many to be the most scenic rail route in the world!

Hi

May I ask what they are charging you for the Excursion . We are thinking about it but no price online

THXS

• 1 year later...

Archived