Eggs Benedict...

MaiTaiMary

I've read in numerous threads that the eggs benedict in the buffet isn't very good.

What about the MDR? Eggs benedict is my vacation splurge! Not something I eat on a regular basis at home. I'd love to have it on my cruise! :D Somebody tell me it's good in the MDR, please!! LOL

I've read in numerous threads that the eggs benedict in the buffet isn't very good.

What about the MDR? Eggs benedict is my vacation splurge! Not something I eat on a regular basis at home. I'd love to have it on my cruise! :D Somebody tell me it's good in the MDR, please!! LOL

I personally in 8 cruises have never seen eggs bennie on the buffet.. goto the dining room for that.. as always it is hit or miss;)

Ok - I have some serious expertise in this field - afterall, it is high calorie food here!

The muffin and canadian bacon are fine. The eggs, well, lets just say they are more the consistency of hard boiled (maybe with some gooey yolk). The hollindaise sauce is quite yummy - but ask for extra on the side. The dish seems to sit under the heat lamps and the butter starts to brown. I think the way around the eggs is to order 2 poached eggs on the side - I'd have to ask DH if that gets the eggs more runny as he has ordered them poached- which is the way I prefer it.

It is far easier on the wait staff to order extra of stuff than it is for them the get the chef to prepare it specially for you.

All in all, I like it. Ususally get it 2-3 times on a 7 day cruise!:eek:

Never have been able to get it at a buffet anywhere - must order in MDR. I personally think is smells like baby barf. I will order poached eggs, English muffin, side of Canadian Bacon, cheddar cheese and make my own with out the sauce. My husband loves it though and will order all the time.

I agree -- it is RARE to have Eggs Benedict on Carnival where the sauce has not fully congealed and the egg yolk turned (basically) firm thanks to too much time under a heat lamp.

We cruise on Carnival a few times a year, and I make a point to go to the MDR for breakfast at least once per sailing. In the last year (OR TWO) it is how I described above.

I like the idea of putting one together on your own... why didn't I think of that? :D

- really though, if they can't deliver the dish the way it's intended to be - they should GIVE UP... of course, I would wager that a fair % of people are not aware of the proper "textbook" presentation/condition.

786915814_aQf8L-L.jpg

786915806_8JdtG-L.jpg

OK... NOW I AM GETTING HUNGRY!! :eek:

Tom

In the MDR it was very good. Eggs were cooked perfectly for us every day. If your eggs are overcooked I would send it back and get a good one or have something else. Not worth the calories for hard poached eggs!

We also showed up when the MDR opened whcih might have had something to do with it! ;)

Extra hollandaise is a brilliant suggestion by other posters!

I agree -- it is RARE to have Eggs Benedict on Carnival where the sauce has not fully congealed and the egg yolk turned (basically) firm thanks to too much time under a heat lamp.

We cruise on Carnival a few times a year, and I make a point to go to the MDR for breakfast at least once per sailing. In the last year (OR TWO) it is how I described above.

I like the idea of putting one together on your own... why didn't I think of that? :D

- really though, if they can't deliver the dish the way it's intended to be - they should GIVE UP... of course, I would wager that a fair % of people are not aware of the proper "textbook" presentation/condition.

786915814_aQf8L-L.jpg

786915806_8JdtG-L.jpg

Tom

Why oh why did you have to post that. Now I don't want the steak, mashed potatoes and green beans I am cooking for dinner!:p

786915814_aQf8L-L.jpg

786915806_8JdtG-L.jpg

Tom

I for one would prolly enjoy the eggs bennie if the yolk was hard.. runny yolks just make me think nasty things:eek:... actually YOLK makes me think YUCK.. but I can deal with it not runny;)

So for all you eggs benedict fans - what do you think about the Dream brunch eggs benedict - on cranberry brioche?

I would be willing to give it a go. But then again, you could cover just about anything in holandaise and I might be willing to try it....:o

I've had eggs benedict in the dining room and . . . on my Dream cruise last month, on the buffet. Unfortunately . . . they were horrible. Eggs were hard and the sauce was no existant . . . looked like it had been put on and then put in a microwave. As much as I love eggs benedict . . . don't think I'll ever have them on one of my Carvival cruises again . . . :(

I got them every morning on the Valor in the MDR...they were sitting under the heat light for a little too long, and the eggs were overcooked almost every day. The last night some lady was sitting with us, and they recognized her and treated her like royalty...she got a fresh one made just for her, and it looked awesome!! This is one of my fav bfast foods, and I have had much better making it myself at home than what they serve. (but I did still eat them!)

Our experience, Carnival always overcooks them, instead of poached, they are more like petrified eggs. Just got off Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas last week, and NCL Jewel in early December, both of those lines know how to make eggs benedict.

Unfortunately, multiple Carnival ships, and locations (buffet and MDR) have all produced poor results. We are trying again 4/10/10 on the Liberty, but we are not hopeful.

When we were on the Legend a couple of years ago the eggs benedict were AWESOME!!! Served in the mdr, and I had them about 3-4 times in that week (and I'm not much of a breakfast eater). Can't wait to go back again in September. And the egg yolks were runny.

Archived