Looking for info on the various kids clubs...

AandBmom

DH and I have cruised as a couple several times. This time we want to take our two oldest kids (4.5yrs. and 6yrs.).

We've cruised Carnival and Princess before. We never paid much attention to the kids clubs as we didn't need them.

Can someone give me a quick comparison of the various cruise lines and their kids' clubs?

I'd like to know:

1. hours

2. which ones are open during port days

3. cost if any

4. ages they take

5. anything that makes one better than another

DH and I recognize that this trip will be different than our usual adult trips, however we would still like to enjoy some R&R (sitting by the pool reading, napping, etc.) as we're pregnant with our 4th child and know that life will get crazy again soon. Can someone give me an idea of what a typical day is like using the kids clubs a lot. (when do you bring kids there, when do you see them next, can it be every day, do most kids love it or get bored of it, etc) Thanks. Lisa

If you want to see the schedules from each club, they are at the link in my signature. I keep a collection from the parents here at the fam board.

Let me see if I can answer the rest for you

Hours - generally - most mainstream cruise lines like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney, Princess, NCL run the same. They are open from about 8am or 9am and run till about 1am (if not later)

Ages - Carnival and NCL accepts 2 year olds (Carnival changes diapers)

Royal Caribbean, Princess, Disney, Celebrity - Children must be ages 3 and up - AND potty trained to be dropped off at the kids club.

Some ships have nurseries (Disney, Cunard, Royal Caribbean Oasis) which take younger kids - but this is a PAID service

For the normal hours (before 10pm) - most cruise lines will not charge for their kids clubs. There are exceptions. NCL is an exception - they were charging for port days -- don't know if this was changed.

Disney doesn't charge for the kids club at all.

After 10pm - "babysitting fees" kick in for the kids clubs (approx $6 or less per hour per child)

All kids club have their strengths (and yes, weaknesses).

Personally I think the best kids clubs are Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Disney.

Wanted to add -

They all seem to shut down during lunch and dinner time on sea days

Some take the kids to special kids dinners (Royal Caribbean and Carnival) -- some bring the dinner to the kids in the club (Disney) -- some can come to the dining room and pick the kids up while the parents continue their meals (My Time Family Dining - Royal Caribbean)

Another thing about the clubs - your kids will be divided into separate age groups on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL and Celebrity (age groups are generally 2-5 or 3-5 and 6-8)

They will be allowed to be together on Disney and Princess (the age range is wider on Princess so I think your kids would fall into the same group)

I know your question was about the kids clubs but I just wanted to add that all cruiselines have a specific cutoff on pregnancies. Just make sure you check out what the requirements are before you book so you don't lose any money. I know on Royal Caribbean for example, you can't be into your 24th week. They will require a doctors note too.

Archived