Glacier vs. McKinley flight

Nanner

I was wondering what those who have done both the Mt. McKinley flightseeing and glacier landing trips feel as to which is better. I don't know that the budget (or my acrophobia) can handle two of these trips, but I really do want to do at least one.

I regret not doing a helicopter last year in Hawaii. I do NOT wish to make the mistake twice.

I was wondering what those who have done both the Mt. McKinley flightseeing and glacier landing trips feel as to which is better. I don't know that the budget (or my acrophobia) can handle two of these trips, but I really do want to do at least one.

I regret not doing a helicopter last year in Hawaii. I do NOT wish to make the mistake twice.

Hi!

We have only taken the over the top summit flight (with Talkeetna Aero) and it was magnificent! It is in a twin-engine, non-pressurized plane and the pilot and passengers will be on oxygen (altitude will exceed 21,000 feet). The glacier landing flights are in a single-engine, ski-plane. I got some great video of one of them taking off from the glacier when we were returning.

With only the perspective of one type of flight, I would suggest the summit flight. It is the single most spectacular excursion I have ever taken (the only thing close is that volcano helicopter flight you declined in Hawaii). Don't miss this one!

Have a great cruise. Alaska and Mt. McKinley are truly awe-inspiring!

I have done both, many times. :) AND the summit flight is always my preference. I go with Talkeetna Aero the most and fly with Eric the owner. (my always request- and I fly around his schedule) Anyway- a great deal can depend on your flying experience?? A ski plane landing is fun and a thrill but if looking for a glacier experience- this isn't it, it is more snow packed than ice. For excellent ice experience definately a glacier helicopter landing. Frankly- skip the movies and dinners out until your cruise and do both. They are vastly different and worthwhile tours. As you have expressed- there are way too many regrets with traveling. :)

Thanks, BQ. At least I can use the TourSaver for the Talkeetna Aero flight and that way convince my DH that I am not spending nearly as much as I might. Just tell me why Eric is your favorite pilot-it isn't because he's a real hot dog, I hope. I read one flight description on the forum where I thought all I would do is keep my eyes closed and hope we didn't wipe out. You can have a great trip without pilots who go out of their way to make you cringe.

Are you talking about the summit flight with the oxygen?

I think I'll shoot for both trips. It's too cold in early June for the thought of whitewater rafting to really hold much appeal for me. That float on the Kenai River June 9 will be enough of that.

Maybe after I return I'll do an acrophobes guide to Alaska, rating the two excursions on how well I tolerated them.

I am now booked for the Pilot's Choice flight with TEMSCO in Skagway (through HAL-the independent seats are already all gone. Moral is book early and save-it cost $100 more for two of us with HAL).

I did manage an independent booking with Talkeetna Aero for Denali. When I asked about the TourSaver offer, it is not the summit flight, but you can upgrade to it for $25 per person. Hey, I'm saving $225 so why not spend the extra $50, right?

Now for another question, to BQ and other experienced Alaska folks: Since I've spent a small fortune on airfare today, is there a good and relatively cheap activity you might recommend for the afternoon in Denali?

Now for another question, to BQ and other experienced Alaska folks: Since I've spent a small fortune on airfare today, is there a good and relatively cheap activity you might recommend for the afternoon in Denali?

''

Are you already doing the shuttle bus into the park??? There are various ranger activites and if of interest sled dog demos usually 3 times per day. Hiking trails of various degrees. Listings on their web site http://www.nps.gov/dena

We do the Tundra Wilderness Tour the day before. We will be picked up for our flight at 10:20 for an 11:00 departure, so we'll have the afternoon and evening to do our own thing. I would love to visit the kennels, and maybe get in a hike of some sort. Just wondered if anyone had specific things to recommend.

We're doing a float on the Kenai River, so I'm not real anxious to include something like that at Denali. After sitting in the plane and doing the bus tour, I want to be moving around a bit.

Thanks for the tips!

Archived