Hey Guys..How is this Aug 21 Alaska Itinerary ?

redcc55

OK, after months of reading and researching on this site, here is our permanent/tentative itinerary for Alaska, August 21, 2010. We did not want to travel from NJ to Vancouver due to the air costs, Seattle was much less expensive. And we didn’t want to face the hassle of flying into Seattle and transferring to Vancouver because we discovered that the two cities are not as close as a Yankee fan from the East Coast might think

Like Hawaii, the ship is secondary to the ports. We chose Anytime Dining so that we are never cramped for time or rushing to get back to the ship to eat!

We understand that Vancouver will have more scenic views than Seattle but figured much of that will be at night. We also wanted a RT due to time and money constraints. We had narrowed the ships down to the Golden Princess, NCL Pearl and HAL Oosterdam with the Golden getting the nod. Many on this board suggested choosing the itinerary and not the ship. We wanted Skagway over Sitka and we have sailed NCL before and wanted to try a new line. We found a great deal though an Agent for a starboard Caribe balcony and took the leap.

Seattle: We’re flying in a day early and staying at the Grand Hyatt. We’ll visit the Pike Place Market and the Space Needle and dine at a highly recommended Italian restaurant (too bad the Yanks aren’t in town vs the Mariners). We’ll sleep-in the next morning and make our way leisurely to the Pier.

Juneau: Whale watching with Capt Jack on Scania. We like the fact that his boat carries smaller groups, has a second deck with 360 degree viewing and a covered viewing area if it rains.

Helicopter to Glacier with Dog Sledding with Coastal Helicopters. In fact, Capt Jack’s crew is shuttling us around to combine the transfers for the whale watch and the helicopter…kind of like a package. And goodness, we have to Dogsled in Alaska!!!

Skagway: We are renting through Avis and picking the car up early. We’re following Murray’s Guide and driving to Emerald Lake and back. We like the idea of being on our own and stopping when (and for as long as) we wish. For another perspective, we are also booked on the 4:30 WPYR three-hour trip. Crazy to do both the train and car, but we couldn’t decide and figured we have the time. In between, we’ll check-out the town.

Ketchican: The 5 ½ hour port-time here is ridiculous, but we are going on the three-hour kayak paddle with Southeast Sea Kayaks.

Victoria: This port visit is still under construction :o and open to ideas!!!

Seattle: Staying one extra day at the Grand Hyatt. We just don’t want to rush after the cruise.

This is our first trip to Alaska…don’t know if we’ll be back.

Any thoughts or comments/suggestions?

This is our first trip to Alaska…don’t know if we’ll be back.

[/font]

We said the same thing. We probably won't go back so we want to do as much as possible. Boy were we wrong!!! We are planning on going back, not sure when yet. Actually I told my husband if I were rich I would live in Alaska in the summer and the Caribbean in the winter but I am not rich so I guess I'll be staying in Michigan!

Archived