New ballgame Azamara Vs. Oceania

JBVols

Oceania is trying to compete w/the likes of Silversea, Seabourn, Sea Dream, Regent with their pricing. These ships do not nickle and dime you to death like Oceania does. They aren't even close to those ships. Look Azamara is below their pricing at least for now, do you expect them to be at that same level for that price. April 1st they are making some significant changes, also their pricing is on the way up, lets wait and see what they deliver

We thought Azamara was better than SilverSea, but note we were on Quest and PAII.

Hi Jade 13, interesting, we have been on both the Quest and Journey and thought both ships delivered a very good experience, but nothing near the Silversea ships, please give me your comparison and and the Silversea ships you have traveled on.

Hi Jade 13, interesting, we have been on both the Quest and Journey and thought both ships delivered a very good experience, but nothing near the Silversea ships, please give me your comparison and and the Silversea ships you have traveled on.

I have only been on PAII which is an expedition ship. I will try to write something up in the next day or so.

Jade13: Look foward to your post. We are scheduled next Dec. for the PAII (already paid for). And have sailed on the Quest and returning in May. Have also sailed on Seabourn, Regent, Celebrity, and Holland Am.. My feelings are that the Quest is a little gem that has yet to be discovered by many people. Just hope the new branding doesn't destroy its charm.

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers and were delighted to get a good deal to try Quest in November. It blew us away in every department and was 100% what we would enjoy in a cruise.We are in our early 60s.

We followed up on Journey in February for a shorter cruise at a higher cost for a lower grade cabin.

We rated it 80% but still thought it represented good value for money.

I would not consider paying the much higher prices for the additional house wine at meals and the other minor changes. It is such a shame that Azamara have re-branded as it was perfect for Celebrity cruisers that prefer smaller ships but now it will be too expensive for those type of cruisers that cannot afford the 6* ships. Where next ? Back to Celebrity I guess, especially as the new benfits for Elite members are worth having!

We have spent 27 nights on Oceania's Nautica (Rome to Singapore) and about the same amount of nights on Azamara's Journey (Caribbean cruise and Barcelona to Venice). Journey was good, Nautica was outstanding. With the difference in prices, Azamara was a good deal.

If Azamara prices get close to Oceania's, then there is no contest. Oceania wins! In addition we enjoyed Oceania's "free airfare" which is a big deal when you are flying out of a Canadian airport.

We love the size and ambiance of the R-ships but Oceania does it better. If our budget does not allow us to sail on R-ships then we will sail on Celebrity and Holland America.

We have had one cruise on RCCL which was an absolute disaster: service, rude crew and ports cancelled to save fuel. Bummer. :eek:

Hi UB & AS,

Off topic, but after perusing your cruise summary, just wanted to mention that we had a spectacular trip from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy on the new ferry, Northern Expedition, in September, and a wonderful week on the island, with a stay at the "top surfing town in North America", Tofino ... not that we were there for surfing.:)

Hi UB & AS,

Off topic, but after perusing your cruise summary, just wanted to mention that we had a spectacular trip from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy on the new ferry, Northern Expedition, in September, and a wonderful week on the island, with a stay at the "top surfing town in North America", Tofino ... not that we were there for surfing.:)

We live in Campbell River so you would have driven through on your south. We love this Island! :D From our house we see all the cruise ships on the Alaska run and our home from cruise ships. :cool: We have done the Inside Passage a number of time, some on cruise ships most most on the Queen of the North (RIP) and once on the Queen of Chilliwack from Port Hardy to Bella Coola on the Mainland. It is a beautiful trip any way that you do it.

We are delighted that you enjoyed "our Island" and hope that you tell your friends to visit. I was born near Toronto (Buffalo) and like this area better.

Cheers, Bill

Azamara brought Oceania to my attention, by their aspiration to market themselves as a comparable probduct. Funny thing is, now I am looking at Oceania for price and itinerary. Honestly, I never looked at Oceania before. Perhaps there are others who have grown curious about Oceania as a result of Azamara's marketing strategy. Oceania may have new customers and they can thank Azamara for the referral.

Azamara brought Oceania to my attention, by their aspiration to market themselves as a comparable probduct. Funny thing is, now I am looking at Oceania for price and itinerary. Honestly, I never looked at Oceania before. Perhaps there are others who have grown curious about Oceania as a result of Azamara's marketing strategy. Oceania may have new customers and they can thank Azamara for the referral.

Interesting reaction to Azamara marketing! The R-ships are lovely but Oceania is a tough act to compete with. They do everything very well.

Sandy and I met in Bloomington while we were both graduate students at IU. We were there for about five years, married and moved to Vancouver to teach.

We sailed on Oceania's Nautica from Rome to Singapore for our 40th anniversary and went around the world in the process. Great cruise! :cool:

Archived