New ballgame Azamara Vs. Oceania

JBVols

We had a late cancellation of a trip to Peru and Galapagos because of mudslides in Cusco. Disappointed, I researched the possibility of a late minute cruise and found an opening on a 12 day Azamara Caribbean cruise (departing on the Journey 3/8/2010). Azamara had openings in all levels where Oceania was completely sold out, does that tell you something?. In looking at Azamara, I see that after April, Azamara will have free house wine at lunch and dinner and a free bottle of Scotch and Vodka at embarkation. Will these new amenities close to gap between Azamara and Oceania. When we return, I will post a review between the two lines.

We had a late cancellation of a trip to Peru and Galapagos because of mudslides in Cusco. Disappointed, I researched the possibility of a late minute cruise and found an opening on a 12 day Azamara Caribbean cruise (departing on the Journey 3/8/2010). Azamara had openings in all levels where Oceania was completely sold out, does that tell you something?. In looking at Azamara, I see that after April, Azamara will have free house wine at lunch and dinner and a free bottle of Scotch and Vodka at embarkation. Will these new amenities close to gap between Azamara and Oceania. When we return, I will post a review between the two lines.

Sorry you arent joining us on 2/24..as we get off you get on!

Jancruz1

We've been aware that after April Azamara will include free house wine at lunch and dinner, however, free bottle of scotch and vodka at embarkation is news! Can you advise how you know about free scotch and vodka? Thanks

We've been aware that after April Azamara will include free house wine at lunch and dinner, however, free bottle of scotch and vodka at embarkation is news! Can you advise how you know about free scotch and vodka? Thanks

Hi Shoesonfire !

I read that post, and I am do not believe it is accurate. It's possible there could be a complimentary bottle or 2 of alcohol in Suites. I'm not aware of any other complimentary alcohol other than Wine at Lunch and Dinner, after April 1st.

If I hear anything further, I will post it here.

Hi Shoesonfire !

I read that post, and I am do not believe it is accurate. It's possible there could be a complimentary bottle or 2 of alcohol in Suites. I'm not aware of any other complimentary alcohol other than Wine at Lunch and Dinner, after April 1st.

If I hear anything further, I will post it here.

According to their new mega-brochure, the new perks for the top 2 suite categories will be 2 bottles of alcohol, and unlimited complimentary dining in the specialty restaurants. The 2 bottles was already done for us as PS pax on our December 2007 cruise. On that cruise we went to the specialty resaurants for dinner probably half of the nights. Frankly, the food is excellent, but just too rich for nightly fare.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

According to their new mega-brochure, the new perks for the top 2 suite categories will be 2 bottles of alcohol, and unlimited complimentary dining in the specialty restaurants. The 2 bottles was already done for us as PS pax on our December 2007 cruise. On that cruise we went to the specialty resaurants for dinner probably half of the nights. Frankly, the food is excellent, but just too rich for nightly fare.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Hi Tnt !

That's what I suggested in my last post, that it could be a perk for Suites. Thanks for letting us know that's what it is. Just to clarify, the OP made it seem as if this perk was for everyone, which I said was unlikely. I didnt want our Cruise Critic friends assuming something that was not the case.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Hi Tnt !

That's what I suggested in my last post, that it could be a perk for Suites. Thanks for letting us know that's what it is. Just to clarify, I thought the person who mentioned it, made it seem as if this perk was for everyone, which I said was unlikely. I didnt want our Cruise Critic friends assuming something that was not the case.

Hi Tnt !

That's what I suggested in my last post, that it could be a perk for Suites. Thanks for letting us know that's what it is. Just to clarify, the OP made it seem as if this perk was for everyone, which I said was unlikely. I didnt want our Cruise Critic friends assuming something that was not the case.

Yes, I had a brief moment of excitement...but figured it out quickly...still a let down:p;)

Got back from 1/31/10 Journey 12 night cruise. Sorry folks, there is no comparison, Oceania is light years ahead of Azamara. The average age was about 80 and with a walker, scooter. God bless them, but I didn't expect a geriatric cruise.

Other than the specialty restaurants, (which I had no problem eating any night) the rest of the food operation leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Would not cruise Azamara again.

Got back from 1/31/10 Journey 12 night cruise. Sorry folks, there is no comparison, Oceania is light years ahead of Azamara. The average age was about 80 and with a walker, scooter. God bless them, but I didn't expect a geriatric cruise.

Other than the specialty restaurants, (which I had no problem eating any night) the rest of the food operation leaves a whole lot to be desired.

oh no, this is most upsetting...I am afraid I will be one of the youngsters on my cruise:eek:

could you just have been unlucky with age group on your cruise? having sailed twice with azamara we had hardly any fellow cruisers in their eighties and no signs of walkers, tripods etc.in fact there was a really good mix of fellow cruisers of all ages and nationalities.going again in august as we really enjoyed our previous cruises.

On our Carb cruise on the Journey we had a real mix of all ages. About 10 young familes with children of assorted ages. Food was excellent in all venues, great entertainment, great caring service by all,:) much inter-mixing from the Captain all the way down. Sure you weren't on a Holland American Cruise? Look, all Cruises are different in almost every respect. Don't let one person influense you as to their perspective on their particular experience. I have been on Oceania as well and yes it was a better quality cruise, but not by much. Lets give Azamara a chance for a true comparison after their April 1st entry with their new Club Cruises. The one thing I do remember about Oceania is they nickle and dime you to death with everything.

On the same trip but two weeks earlier the food was excellent and the avarage age only about 60 :D

I did not realize what difference 2 weeks can make :rolleyes:

This is simply not true. While there were a handful of physically challenged folks in wheel chairs and scooters, the average age has not anywhere near 80. Most passengers appeared to me to be in their 50s and 60s. Personally I preferred the food in the main dining room to that of the specialty restaurants. Chacun a sa gout.

This is simply not true. While there were a handful of physically challenged folks in wheel chairs and scooters, the average age has not anywhere near 80. Most passengers appeared to me to be in their 50s and 60s. Personally I preferred the food in the main dining room to that of the specialty restaurants. Chacun a sa gout.

maybe he felt that big of an age gap...I will be sure to comment when I get back in May...I am thinking I will like both the specialty dining and the main dining room...each has something else to offer.

I'm really shocked with so many complaints about Azamara! We were on the Journey in Dec, 2009. I have been on most of the various cruiselines, ships in size from 18,000ton to the 145thous ton & considered 2 star to 6 star (total 47 cruises in all). Personally speaking, Azamara Journey was outstanding in every category! I had high expectations before the cruise; and I was not disappoointed.

We had one minor issue that was handled efficiently & effectively. I also had a suggestion for a change for the future, which was accepted and seemed to be greatly appreciated.(feedback on it was even provided as a follow-up after the cruise)

I found quality food, good entertainment, well-appointed cabin(standard veranda), exceptional cabin and food service, and the most accessable, friendly, efficient and caring staff from the Captain down!!

I have not cruised on Oceania yet, but I intend to for comparison sake, as I can not see how it could be so much better. I do know I will be taking many more Azamara cruises as they add new itineraries. The officers and crew do show a genuine concern and friendliness I have not experienced to such an extent. That alone is worth so much to us. Just wanted to share our experience. Connie :confused:

Connie, don't be upset about seeing some of the negative comments. Each person is entitled to express his or her own views, and sometimes these are not positive. However, far and away the majority of comments expressed here and in the actual cruise reviews for Quest and Journey praise the ships, the staff and the quality of the food.

Nevernever

thank you for your reassurance. even though it may sound like I was upset with the negative bloggers, I do know the comments are a matter of opinion and one's personal experience. it just seemed to me a bit of over-generalization based on also limited experience. I do try to keep strong negative comments to myself when they are based on limited experience. It could always be bad timing, a "lemon" experience, my mood at the time, one unfriendly staff, or too high expectations. thx again.Connie

Connie, don't be upset about seeing some of the negative comments. Each person is entitled to express his or her own views, and sometimes these are not positive. However, far and away the majority of comments expressed here and in the actual cruise reviews for Quest and Journey praise the ships, the staff and the quality of the food.

Nevernever

On our January sailing we were actually quite surprised that there weren't very many elderly passengers on our cruise. While there were people of all ages on board, the majority of passengers were in their 50s or 60s.

We always like to have a balcony cabin and there is a big difference in price between a balcony on Az to a balcony on Oceania (at least on prices quoted here in Australia) so there is no comparison for us. I live in hope of a super special coming up, so I can compare! ;)

We are just back from a January cruise on Journey. It was worth what we paid for the cruise but this is not close to the Oceania experience. There is no way this ship will ever be a premium experience without a lot of work. Expect to take the same cruise next year at the same price. Only difference is there will be a for sale sign on the ship.

The officers and crew were the best of any ship we have been on. The ships band the best. Everything else needs a lot of work.

We are just back from a January cruise on Journey. It was worth what we paid for the cruise but this is not close to the Oceania experience. There is no way this ship will ever be a premium experience without a lot of work.
Interesting to read your comments. We recently completed a transAtlantic on Oceania Regatta. The on-board experience could not have been any better & we came away as fans of Oceania. We'll be on Azamara Journey in a few short months doing the reverse transAtlantic. We were hoping for a comparable premium experience. So your comments are unsettling. Can you elaborate on what didn't measure up & what needs a lot of work? Thanks for the heads-up.

MightQuinn -

I would not discourage anyone from trying Azamara. As I thought I stated we felt the cruise was worth what we paid for it and would do it again at that price. The condition of the ship as far as exterior maintenance and interior furnishings is not up to Oceania standards. Our balcony railing appeared not to have been varnished since they bought the ship and paint was chipping off the balcony furniture. You will find the food is good but not up to O. No try at presentation of food except appetizers and dessert.

Not a ringing endorsment of AZ I know. At the same time I believe O has started to get over priced so I hope AZ can pull off what they are trying to do, but I really doubt it.

Oceania is trying to compete w/the likes of Silversea, Seabourn, Sea Dream, Regent with their pricing. These ships do not nickle and dime you to death like Oceania does. They aren't even close to those ships. Look Azamara is below their pricing at least for now, do you expect them to be at that same level for that price. April 1st they are making some significant changes, also their pricing is on the way up, lets wait and see what they deliver

Daman was right in a number of points,

We were very surprised at the "elevated" age of most passengers,

I suspect the average age while not 80 was probably 70-75.

We are in our early to mid 50's and were truly some of the "youngsters"

on the 31 Jan sailing. We had friends on the previous sailing and their comment to us was they thought they were at the county nursing home.

I do not think we will do Azamara in the Caribbean again, however we will

sail with them in Europe, as i truly think they have higher standards (food) when the cruise the Med. I also think in the Med they draw a more diverse passenger crowd which to me is one of the enjoyable parts about cruising.

Another reason we will not do the Carribbean is the ship seemed crowded

on the at sea days, chair hogs abounded by the pool. They really did not have any Caribbean themed music, The piano player by the Cova Cafa had a following but I suspect most of them were partially deaf.

The gift shop manager kept closing the door when he started playing.

Don't get me wrong, we have 2 more weeks booked on the Journey this fall and a 2 week trip on the Quest in Asia next January. The Azamara

staff is very good to excellent, and we look forward to our future trips with them. Now if they would only include beer at lunch and dinner along with wine, I would be really happy!

They give these 2 bottles to Suite guests, plus a bottle of champagne.

Archived