Serenade Aft suggestions/thoughts...

FrostyJoe

So are there two sets of aft stairs? One shown on the deck plans and another secret one???

Back to my original question: So the general consensus is that I should stay with mid aft (9260) instead of corner aft (8168)?

Hmm, yes there is another set of aft stairs but again they are for CREW only, so I think I will need to save you from yourself and not divulge the exact location. :D;)

Hmm, yes there is another set of aft stairs but again they are for CREW only, so I think I will need to save you from yourself and not divulge the exact location. :D;)

Sue, can you tell me where that is please??? :D I promise I won't use it :rolleyes:....

DH and I are very excited - Our first true AFT cabin after 20+ cruises. Have always wanted to try one. So, any comments on this one, Serenade of the Seas, July Southern Caribbean......

We had 1102 in Jan on the Serenade. You will LOVE the location. The balcony is a great size.

With that said, for the OP, we have also had 9256 (just above your corner aft) and if I could get the corner again, I would jump on it. I definitely isn't a "wrap around" balcony, but you can get a better view of what is to the side. Either way, you will have a great cabin....aft is the way to go!

Back to my original question: So the general consensus is that I should stay with mid aft (9260) instead of corner aft (8168)?

Another poster mentioned that the beds in aft cabins lie in a starboard to port direction, rather than from a bow to stern direction.

What this means to you is that the rolling motion of the ship will move your head up and down, rather than from side to side. If you are prone to

motion sickness this is something you might want to consider.

Personally I stayed in a cabin which was very forward and I did not find it to be extremely strenuous to walk from end to end. You are just talking a few hundred feet at most to the middle and you may want to burn some calories anyway.

Happy cruising.

Edited by NordicPrince

If you keep the middle aft 9260 you willl have a better view of the port and starboard. If it is raining you will not have as much protection in 8168 as 9260. You will only have one neighbor in 8168. The balcony really narrows as it wraps around.

I am a real happy camper in any aft cabin. It is 113 steps from the Centrum to 9256 on the Radiance. Didn't count them on the Serenade, but would think it is the same.

Oh wow, so are you saying there is another crew only stairs aft of the one behind 9234????? Where is that one???

Most likely, we will be using the midship stairs. However, if the DFW asks me to if I can get something from WJ that she really likes while we are in the cabin, you bet I will be willing to break RCI's rules......

Nooooooo Frosty Joe, the stair police on here will not be happy you breaking the stair rule !!;)

...Most likely, we will be using the midship stairs. However, if the DFW asks me to if I can get something from WJ that she really likes while we are in the cabin, you bet I will be willing to break RCI's rules......

"....I realize that I am not allowed to use it. However, there are a few things I will do that does not interfere with my morality, just like speeding everyday on the roads, and this is one of them as long as I do not get kicked off the ship..."

"I think if the walk is anything over 5 minute TOPS, I will take my chance and just use the crew stairs. After all, (just like speeding a bit) I don't cause any significant harm to anyone.... "

I work in a public high school. A common observation among the staff is that this current generation of students seem oblivious to the rules; now I understand why.

Just to let you in on a little secret, "speeding a bit" can injure someone if it leads to an accident or forcing someone off of the road. I guess that is not considered "significant harm"?

Ok, I am off of my soap box.

there are other stairs that were for emergencies, not those in the aft. The set is forward in that hallway about 15 rooms up or so in the middle section. Not an issue.

We were in 8168 on Serenade just a couple weeks ago and Roberto, our cabin attendant, told us specifically that in case of emergency, we can (and are expected to) use the stairs immediately by the cabin door. But no, they are not available for passenger use except in that instance.

I thoroughly enjoyed the balcony on 8168, but it did not offer very much shade at all. There was one lounger, two chairs and one good-sized square table. Given the option, I'd probably go for one of the D1's in the middle of the aft in search of just a bit of shade, as it did get really hot out there. But if the only aft available were 8168, I'd be thrilled to get it.

It was about a 3 minute walk from the Centrum, at a leisurely pace.

SerenadeoftheSeascruise2010043.jpg

Edited by Kikkycat

Trying to get a picture of this...I see on the deck plans that there is a set of stairs towards the aft. On deck 10, adjacent to cabins 1084 and 1584. Are these off limits? I see areas on the deck plans at the aft that are blank, I would assume those areas are the crew only stairs you speak of.

"....I realize that I am not allowed to use it. However, there are a few things I will do that does not interfere with my morality, just like speeding everyday on the roads, and this is one of them as long as I do not get kicked off the ship..."

"I think if the walk is anything over 5 minute TOPS, I will take my chance and just use the crew stairs. After all, (just like speeding a bit) I don't cause any significant harm to anyone.... "

I work in a public high school. A common observation among the staff is that this current generation of students seem oblivious to the rules; now I understand why.

Just to let you in on a little secret, "speeding a bit" can injure someone if it leads to an accident or forcing someone off of the road. I guess that is not considered "significant harm"?

Ok, I am off of my soap box.

Sleepless,

Since I do not want to start a flame war, this will be my final and only post regarding this topic. I hope you are an angelic figure who never breaks any laws or rules whatsoever.

For some background:

-I am a P.E. and I design highways for living :D; and I will not bore you with the operational characteristics of traffic flow (you are assuming that going 5 mph over the speed limit is more "dangerous" :confused: than going exactly the speed limit).

-The two states I have lived in (Pennsylvania and Maryland) will not issue a citation for speeding unless you are going over the minimum threshold over the speed limit. Furthermore the Federal Highway Administration recommends that police tolerance never be less than 5 MPH. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=01-13721-filed

-I have never received a traffic citation including speeding, impeding the traffic flow, reckless driving, etc. Nor have I ever caused an motor vehicle accident (Unfortunately, I have been in multiple accidents which the other driver have been issued a citation...)

-All highways are designed at higher design speed than the posted speed limit

Please go to this link and skip to 3:30 to see what happens when everyone is all perfect like you and goes exactly the speed limit (instead of following the traffic flow which is exactly what I meant by "speeding")

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5366552067462745475&q=# :eek:

Edited by FrostyJoe

aftwcabins.jpg

Did you guys know that my Pat put the numbers on this picture years ago and it is still going around? We love our aft cabins.:D

Mike

Hi Mike & Pat!

I had no idea Pat was the wonderful person who numbered this pic! I want to thank her as we use it so often. :D

Hope y'all had a safe trip home. It was great meeting both of you and hope our paths cross again in the future. :):)

DH and I are very excited - Our first true AFT cabin after 20+ cruises. Have always wanted to try one. So, any comments on this one, Serenade of the Seas, July Southern Caribbean......

I think you will love your cabin! We stayed in 1604 on the Jewel for our partial PC cruise and absolutely loved it!

Just got off Radiance and stayed in 9660 and had a great time!

We got hooked on afts!:D

Just realized the sound of the video clip I linked is not good. You can try

Sleepless,

Since I do not want to start a flame war, this will be my final and only post regarding this topic. I hope you are an angelic figure who never breaks any laws or rules whatsoever.

For some background:

-I am a P.E. and I design highways for living :D; and I will not bore you with the operational characteristics of traffic flow (you are assuming that going 5 mph over the speed limit is more "dangerous" :confused: than going exactly the speed limit).

-The two states I have lived in (Pennsylvania and Maryland) will not issue a citation for speeding unless you are going over the minimum threshold over the speed limit. Furthermore the Federal Highway Administration recommends that police tolerance never be less than 5 MPH. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2001_register&docid=01-13721-filed

-I have never received a traffic citation including speeding, impeding the traffic flow, reckless driving, etc. Nor have I ever caused an motor vehicle accident (Unfortunately, I have been in multiple accidents which the other driver have been issued a citation...)

Please go to this link and skip to 3:30 to see what happens when everyone is all perfect like you and goes exactly the speed limit (instead of following the traffic flow which is exactly what I meant by "speeding")

Sleepless,

For some background:

I live in Michigan, and have lived in Ohio. In both of those states, you can and will be ticketed for going 5 miles (or less) over the posted speed limit. I did grow up in Pennsylvinia, and am aware of the 5 mile over the speed limit courtesy. Secondly, I won't bore you with the details of a crash a friend experienced when hit by a driver who said he was only going 5 miles over the speed limit, at the time of impact. I can only tell you that her life will never be the same. Sorry if I am a little bit touchy on the subject. I am not an "angelic figure", nor am I "perfect". I do follow the speed limit, as I have seen what can happen.

• 5 years later...

We just booked aft cabin 9660, on the Serenade and there was lots of information about how long a walk it is to the centrum, and how wonderful it is to see the wake of the ship. We will be in the Caribbean so we had a few questions. Has anyone been on the ship lately ?

What kind of furniture is on the balcony ? In some of the photo's I saw 2 chairs and a tall table, large enough to eat breakfast on. We had this type of table in our regular balcony cabin before it was great. In other photo's I saw only a very small low table. In some photo's I saw two lounge chairs in others only one. We are hoping for two.

In addition does the couch open to a bed or not ? We don't not need an additional bed, and the sleeper sofa is quite hard compared to the regular one.

Thanks for any information you may have.

We currently have cabin 9260 booked for our honeymoon cruise on the Serenade OTS in May.

I also see that cabin #8168 is available. Should we switch or stay with 9260?

Thanks for your help!!

We spent a month in 9256 on the Radiance and it was great. It is usually one of the first to be sold since it is a D2 with a very large verandah.