Tips on how to maximse day in Santorini

swcruise

When we head to the Mediterranean, this will be DH's first time there...my second! I really want to show him as much as possible. We have both seen the "Pants" movies, but I have not seen the fishing village, only Oia.

When I visited before, we took the ships' excursion to Oia. We visited a winery, and then were dropped off in Oia for an hour or two. Next, we were taken to Thira where we had the option of going back to the ship on the bus, or getting off and taking your own transportation back down to the ship. The great thing about the excursion was being the first off the ship and onto the tender to the bus (no cable car or donkey's.) ;) However, for this trip, I'd really like to do something on our own since I am familiar with the island.

Oh how I wish I could talk my DH into renting a car. :) I cannot remember from my last trip there, but what side of the road do drivers head? If it's on the right, perhaps I have a chance. We recently rented a golf cart in Grand Turk and that was loads of fun! DH did fine with left handed driving, but the road was practically deserted. :D

Another option that I have read briefly about was to walk the cauldron from Oia to Thira. Anyone done that and how long does it take? Sounds fun and scenic, not to mention getting much needed exercise while on a cruise. :)

Geogal,

Thanks for the info! We are pretty set on taxis each way; sounds much easier and we're not that big into busses. We'll definitely line up the return - it's always helpful. This will be our first time in Santorini, and we can't wait. I think that my daughters have seen that movie -- I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

Ahhh...we love Santorini!

Another movie set on Santorini, but actually filmed there, and some other islands, apparently, is 1982's 'Summer Lovers'. I know--it's a silly, nothing of a movie, with some nudity (topless, which, to some extent, is the norm there)--but what spectacular scenery. Lots of water and beach shots, the house they rented for the summer is in Oia, and is actually a gift shop now, and also great shots of the Akrotiri excavations (still closed, I believe?) on Thira (Santorini). Apart from the silliness, it'll certainly make you want to (need to?) visit the Greek islands!

Only the English-based countries/colonies in Europe drive on the right--Greece is definitely on the left, so no problems for North Americans.

Last time we were there, we rented a car, and after driving around, ended up (by design) at Ammoudi, for lunch. Watch for a sign just past the village, pointing down to the water, to get there. It's a very steep road, with a flat part at the bottom--easily doable for drivers with experience driving a manual, but could be scary for others (they may want to park at the top and walk down). And, careful where you park down below--I didn't realize the slope until we returned to the car. Unfortunately, we were pointing uphill, with not a lot of room to manouver--a couple of nervous moments, but we did it!

Ammoudi has a few great, mostly seafood, restaurants along its small harbour. It must be what having lunch in heaven is like--and--not too many fellow tourists (at least not when we were there--late May 2008) Ammoudi is where the girl (sorry--forget her name) falls in the water and gets her pants snagged on the underwater wire. Do go--it's easy to do, as it's just 'under' Oia, which must be just about the most beautiful place on the planet.

Enjoy your day(s) there!

Kevin

Ahhh...we love Santorini!

Only the English-based countries/colonies in Europe drive on the right--Greece is definitely on the left, so no problems for North Americans.

Kevin

:confused: Do you mean the cars are on the left, or the driver sits in the left handed seat? We are North Americans and the car goes on the right side of the road, but driver sits on the left. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear before, but I was wanting to know what side the car is on. :o

PS - Checked out your movie. Quite interesting. I wonder if it can still be rented at Blockbuster. :D The scenes were filmed in

Crete, Greece

Delos, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Oia, Santorini, Greece

:confused: Do you mean the cars are on the left, or the driver sits in the left handed seat? We are North Americans and the car goes on the right side of the road, but driver sits on the left. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear before, but I was wanting to know what side the car is on. :o

PS - Checked out your movie. Quite interesting. I wonder if it can still be rented at Blockbuster. :D The scenes were filmed in

Crete, Greece

Delos, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Oia, Santorini, Greece

In Greece the cars go on the right...driver sits on the left

Kevin

Oops!!! I guess I meant to say that only the English-based countries in Europe (UK, Ireland,Gibraltar, et cetera) drive on the LEFT, while in Greece thay drive on the RIGHT (-hand side of the road, that is)! They probably don't care where in the car you sit, as long as the car is on the right-hand side of the road.;)

Thanks for helping me out, JMVDA!

Kevin

Most cars (and the norm in Europe) are manual. Car rental places generally have some automatics (and generally at a higher price). If it's really necessary, booking ahead may be a good idea.

Santorini is a great place to drive around.

Enjoy your day!

Kevin

We intend on going straight to the bus terminus at the top of fira-then go across to perissa, lovely beach & nice village to walk around, plenty of eateries & bars, nice way to chill for the day rather than traipse around in hot sweaty fira which is expensive & not really that much to see(takes roughly 20-25 minutes on the bus):)

Archived