Is formal optional???

FourForFun

Non Formal night to be is a middle ground. Not as dressy as formal but not casual either. Casual nights I usually wear sundresses. For Non Formal-Smart Casual or whatever they want to call it, I take a pair of nice black dress pants or a basic black skirt and add a nice blouse, light weight sweater, or top to it.

LDM,

I'm leaving 2/05 on Glory. The clothes issue stressed me most too. For casual nights my husband is packing docker style pants, golf shirts, short sleeve button downs and a navy blazer for the occasional wear. For myself, black dress pants w/blouse, sleeveless, mid- calf sundresses and I just found great deals at Dressbarn on last summer's pants and matching tops. Not sure if they would be considered pantsuits.

I will report back to you when we return and let you know what the men wear at the formal dinners. I know suits are suggested, but I'd hate to think he'd spend hundreds on a suit for just one meal. My DH reasoned that in addition to the cruise, we have a wedding and a few funerals ( :( ) in our future.

Pay attention to these boards ~ these people are wonderful!

LDM,

I just found great deals at Dressbarn on last summer's pants and matching tops. Not sure if they would be considered pantsuits.

I!

Yeah, I work for a Dress Barn. I stopped off at the store today, and bought a couple of items off the 60% rack and a new dress for next years formal night that was 50% off.

You have me reconsidering the formal dinner. The kids wouldn't mind a bit ~ they'd love to be away from us :) ! Now to find something to wear in just over 2 weeks! I have a gown, navy with a beaded top, that I wore to a formal wedding, complete with shoes dyed to match. Does that sound appropriate? Or is it more the short cocktail dress style that women wear? Oh, to be a man!

I'd try to take the kids to the formal dinner. It's never too early to learn the niceties of good manners. :-) If it's a week cruise take them one night and do Camp Carnival the other.

98Charlie,

My daughter now has 2 dresses she's in love with and my son grumbled at his new tie. We will indeed be attending at least one formal dinner as a family. I'd love to get a great picture from the evening! I'll be thinking of you.

Most of my first time cruise anxieties have been alleviated. My "Things to Buy" list is almost completely checked off. These boards have been a lifesaver! Thanks, all!

Good for you!!!!

We are all so excited! One more week to get through! I am still reading the boards, taking notes and making my last minute list. This weekend I will start ironing and packing. Here's another question. My 7 yo has chosen a sleeveless, ankle length, navy dress. She looks gorgeous in it! She has dressy black shoes she'll be wearing with it. Do I buy little girl pantyhose for her (she normally wears tights, although of course not appropriate with this dress), or can she get away with lacey white ankle socks? Oh, that sounds awful, doesn't it? Better add hose to the list! Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from the Glory, LDM. I made a point to notice the attire on the men for you. Most men did wear a suit. Less in tuxes. Some with a sport coat. I noticed 2 men without a jacket or tie. On the last formal night my DH pointed out one guy in a Hawaiian shirt and Dockers! You have probably made your decision by now, but I did want to get back to you! Have a wonderful time!

As far as formal night goes, did all of the men have on either a suit or a tux? My husband doesn't own a suit and is having a very difficult time buying one as he is a bodybuilder. None of the traditional sizes fit him. Will he fit in if he attends formal night in a pair of black dress pants, nice shoes and a shirt and tie?

What do men and women wear on the non formal nights? I am pscyhed for the cruise but stressing a little bit about this whol dinner dress issue.

Carnival Glory, 2/19/05

Archived