Is formal optional???

FourForFun

Please help me get this straight. Hubby, 2 kiddies, ages 7 and 9, and I leave for a 7 day Carnival (Glory) cruise on 2/05. We do not wish to attend a formal dinner. There are other options, aren't there?

We are all set for casual nights with pants, shirts, and jacket; pantsuits, ankle length dresses and capris. We understand the fun and glitz of formal nights, but with children in tow, and being overwhelmed with our first cruise, we see formal dinners as more work than we want to take on.

Perhaps we will regret our decision, but for now please assure me that there are alternatives on formal night.

Thank you.

Hi:) I haven't sailed Carnival since the early 90's....but I believe their ships do have alternative dining areas for dinner. I am sure someone who has sailed the Glory can help you with more 1st hand information.

Enjoy your cruise:)

You can eat at the buffet, or perhaps have room service those evenings.

Another option would be for only you and DH to attend one formal night, the kids clubs do have special dinners for the kids where they can have fun with their friends and ths staff. You and your husband can enjoy a special night together.

I know very well how hard it is to arrange all this with 2 kids, been there, done that. I would not blame you in the least for not wanting to go through all the extra packing. Whatever your choices, have a wonderful first cruise!

Send the kids to the kids club and then you and your husband can enjoy the wonderful food and ambience of formal night. That way, you only have to pack dressy clothes for the two of you. If you're planning on going to any of the evening activities on the formal nights, you might not feel comfortable going into the show lounges in casual dress when everyone is dressed fancy.

You have me reconsidering the formal dinner. The kids wouldn't mind a bit ~ they'd love to be away from us :) ! Now to find something to wear in just over 2 weeks! I have a gown, navy with a beaded top, that I wore to a formal wedding, complete with shoes dyed to match. Does that sound appropriate? Or is it more the short cocktail dress style that women wear? Oh, to be a man!

Daughter & son-in-law were on a Carnival ship two years ago with their then 3yr old son. They first felt guilty sending tiny tike to the Kids Club while they dined in formal attire in the dining room.

Ater dining they rushed to the Kids Club to retrieve their son (I can just imagine their guilt ridden faces at the time) they peeked into the Kids Club to see their son sitting primly at a dining table eating his meal with other children and having a blast.

In fact, so daughter tells me, my grandson didn't want to leave the Kids Club that night, he was having too much fun!

Dianne

So glad you're reconsidering formal night. I think you would be disappointed if you didn't go prepared. It's a lot of fun to get all dressed up once in a while.

If you re-re-consider, and decide to NOT get dressed up, there are enough people at the shows that have changed after dinner, so I don't think you'd feel uncomfortable enjoying the after-dinner entertainment in more casual attire.

T

DH tried on his nicest dark suit last night. . . I really must stop baking! Since he started working for himself, the suits, left alone and dusty, must have decided to get even and magically become a smaller size! So, how about the tux rental? Could he get away with nice black dress shoes and a rental? Or are shoes available too? Oh my gosh ~ 2 weeks from today! Can't wait to get out of central New York. It's been below 0 for days and as I type the expected 10 inches of snow are on the way!

Thanks!

By all means,go and try formal night. You really don't want to miss it! If you still opt to not eat there, the dinner buffets are very good.

Why not try to find a suit or sport jacket on sale for your husband. I'm from down near Ithaca so I know the sales that are going on in the state. If he's never gone on a cruise before,believe me he will love it and want to keep going. That's what happened with my SO. His first cruise was last May and we are going again this May.

And yes, the snow is really coming down. I hate it and can't wait til May for our cruise.

Whatever you decide,have a BLAST on your cruise.

Laura

So glad to hear you will probably go to formal night. It really is fun and I've never seen many empty seats so most people do go. Ok.........this is radical but, if you decide to bring the kids (even to just one night), you will get wonderful family pictures!!!! They don't sound too young to enjoy it. It doesn't take longer than the other dinners, just people are more dressed up. People may argue, but boys fit in just fine with dress pants, shirt and tie, and girls with a nice dress (after Christmas clearances are the way to go!). Maybe, one night with the whole family; one night with just hubby. Just a thought.......totally up to you, of course. Have fun!:)

Formal night IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM is not optional. The ship has designated that evening as different, and it would be rude to show up in shorts. If you choose the main dining room on formal night, you should wear at least a "nice church outfit".

However, on formal night as well as other nights, you will have OTHER OPTIONS where shorts and other casual attire is acceptable. The buffet will, of course, be open and will probably be doing a booming business that evening with all the other people who choose not to dress up. Room service is always an option too.

Formal night IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM is not optional. The ship has designated that evening as different, and it would be rude to show up in shorts. If you choose the main dining room on formal night, you should wear at least a "nice church outfit".

However, on formal night as well as other nights, you will have OTHER OPTIONS where shorts and other casual attire is acceptable. The buffet will, of course, be open and will probably be doing a booming business that evening with all the other people who choose not to dress up. Room service is always an option too.

The OP did ask if formal night was optional........as far as if there were other places to eat if they didn't want to dress up formal. Everybody's on the same page as far as dress in the dining room. If you read all the posts, you will see that the OP has now reconsidered and may go to formal night in the dining room....and not in shorts; that was never the intention of the OP. :)

Cali-cruiser and FourforFun -- You're reading in a "tone" that wasn't intended. My post was intended to be factual. When I said shorts, I was just throwing out the least acceptable option -- not insinuating that the original poster had said it herself.

Cali-cruiser and FourforFun -- You're reading in a "tone" that wasn't intended. My post was intended to be factual. When I said shorts, I was just throwing out the least acceptable option -- not insinuating that the original poster had said it herself.

Thanx......it was factual. No worries here.:) Hope you didn't take offense in my post.:o

DH tried on his nicest dark suit last night. . . I really must stop baking! Since he started working for himself, the suits, left alone and dusty, must have decided to get even and magically become a smaller size! So, how about the tux rental? Could he get away with nice black dress shoes and a rental? Or are shoes available too? Oh my gosh ~ 2 weeks from today! Can't wait to get out of central New York. It's been below 0 for days and as I type the expected 10 inches of snow are on the way!

Thanks!

Hi! My DH & I were on the Glory in July..it's a beautiful ship. I brought two formal gowns for the two formal nights, was about the only one dressed in a long gown on the 2nd night. Most people in the late seating at dinner on that night were dressed in nice dresses, not formals. The first formal night you saw a little of everything..cocktail dresses, long gowns, prom type, etc. Everyone was getting their pictures made, it was so nice. My DH wore his regular black suit, as most men did. I did not see many tuxes. My dress was black & white sequined, very pretty. However, it was a little dressier than several I saw. (For my cruise in Feb I decided to go with a dress that's a little less formal, but still beautiful..periwinkle in color & at a price I couldn't believe!)

My point, in a long-winded way, is: Don't skip the formal night, if at all possible. The menu in the dining room is special (lobster, prime rib) and leads to the "fun" of it all. The pictures are nice & a nice way to remember the cruise...especially if you're like my DH & I who never get dressed up in formal attire unless we are on a cruise. You'll find every type of dressy dress imaginable and you won't remember what your table mates had on after you get home anyway, so don't fret over what you'll wear. Shop the after-holiday and pre-prom sales at the stores and you'll get a good buy. Just go & enjoy the festivities!

One other note....most of the passenger went back to their rooms & changed into casual wear right after dinner & before the shows. Kinda disappointing, but I guess they were more comfortable that way.

Have fun!

We are on for at least one formal dinner! I chose a different dress. It looks like a gown, but it's a top with pleated pilazzo pants (no idea how to spell that one). The family gave me a round of applause, even my 9 year old son managed a thumbs up! My fav part is that, hidden from view, the pants have an elastic waist~bring on the food! Hubby is buying a new suit. No choice there! I am packing a suit for my son, he's thrilled, and a dress for my daughter. Haven't decided if we'll be bringing them with us, but we will be prepared. Thanks for all the encouragement! :D

FourforFun: There is an added bonus to your entire family attending formal dinner together not mentioned yet, I believe -- the smiles and nods of thanks you will see from us grandparent and great-grandparent age cruisers as you sit together, DH and sons in suits & ties and mom & daughter dressed for the evening.

DH & I in our 50s and have 3 young grandsons. When we're on a cruise away from our family and see a young family dressed up and enjoying a special meal together, the sight brings a big smile to our faces. Has something to do with good memories and all that. Hard to put into words. It's just something you will understand one day as you grow older and your children have children of their own.

Dianne

98Charlie,

My daughter now has 2 dresses she's in love with and my son grumbled at his new tie. We will indeed be attending at least one formal dinner as a family. I'd love to get a great picture from the evening! I'll be thinking of you.

Most of my first time cruise anxieties have been alleviated. My "Things to Buy" list is almost completely checked off. These boards have been a lifesaver! Thanks, all!

Have a great time. I bet that after the first formal night, you'll be going to the second. Your kids will look great too.........and tell your son not to worry about the tie. After dinner, almost all the kids (and some of the adults) change back into their casual clothes for the evening.:) You've never seen kids change so fast....LOL:D

PS.......about the pictures...there will be picture stations set up all over the ship on formal night. We try to take as many as possible so we have a lot to choose from (you are not obligated to buy any). Some stations will have longer lines than others......we usually go back to those. I always buy one 8X10 and 4 wallet reprints of the family.

As far as formal night goes, did all of the men have on either a suit or a tux? My husband doesn't own a suit and is having a very difficult time buying one as he is a bodybuilder. None of the traditional sizes fit him. Will he fit in if he attends formal night in a pair of black dress pants, nice shoes and a shirt and tie?

What do men and women wear on the non formal nights? I am pscyhed for the cruise but stressing a little bit about this whol dinner dress issue.

Carnival Glory, 2/19/05

Archived