Update - Water Pitchers (jugs) being withdrawn from rooms

uktog

The cynic in me tends to think the removal of water pitchers has less to do with "the current economic and global climate" and/or "the removal of little used services and unnecessary wastage" than it has to do with yet another opportunity to charge for something that used be offered free of charge - in this case, bottled water as opposed to a pitcher of water for in-cabin consumption. At least the pitcher is still available upon request.

I do wonder how long though that the pitcher will be available. I think you are spot on in your assumption. That is the reason I was so frustrated.

Here's another comment from someone who is not a plumber:

Some older people may know the answer to this.

I vaguely remember my mother saying not to drink water that came from the bathtub faucet (I was born in 1940 and our houses were probably built in the 30s at least).

Now, having lived in many foreign places in the interim, I've learned that plumbing pipes are not all the same throughout the world!

In our village in Spain, pipes to toilets and the bathtub/shower in some homes were lead, and we know we should not consume lead.

Plumbing in this village at the time was a relatively new and novel idea to the Spaniards, who just dipped from a big container of water (a cantero that was brought in on donkey- or mule-back) & was only done for us foreigners.

When we were building our own home in the village, we found that plumbing supply companies used lead to cut costs, probably not even realizing the danger.

Anybody ever see the pipes on ships? I do not know if they are pvc, do you?

One thing to be careful about, there was a scare published in the UK about refiling certain bottles (as opposed to using a proper water bottle) It is probably ok so long as you change the refill bottle after a week or so but there was evidence of breakdown of the wall of the bottle over time (they are not designed for reuse) which introduced chemicals into the water that were not safe for you over time

I will try and find the line to the article

So where do the stateroom attendants get the water that they use to refill the pitchers?

Uktog, now that you mention it, I recall seeing warnings in the USA also about the dangers of drinking from plastic water bottles that were repeatedly refilled. That was some time ago and I have not seen any more about it recently, so maybe the bottle companies have changed the type of plastic they use. Or maybe nothing has changed and the reporters have just moved on to cover more sensational stories.

• 2 months later...

yeah i know what you guys are talking about regarding not reusing water bottles. i have a stainless steel water bottle (thermos) and some reusable water bottles (nalgene). different from the bottles that dasani and aquafina etc come in. those are one use bottles that break down. i wouldn't reuse those forsure. those are the ones that are meant for one use only. :)

In America here we are going over to sytems similar to Europe soon..

Having a duel mode of W.'s. as well having drinkable and one non-drinkable ( Gray Water)

The waste of Hydrogen DiOxide is not a very excuse as the total World Fresh Water is not expanding in supply as the supply of fish is not in our oceans either.

Salt levels in them are rising. Your not able to put that many potatoes ( potatos ) in the Oceans to soak up the salts... :eek:

On the OP ..Water Pitchers have been used for centuries..well in some places once they could attain them.

The Aboard Pitchers are filled where the ice machines are.

They are supposed to use the Ice Scoop and put it back in the holder next to the ice maker. Otherwise bacteria do grow well in a wet environment...

Archived