Ideas on jerks blocking the stairs?

kay1864

I have cruised on RCCL and Carnival for the last three years the week after Easter. Kids on stairs (or elevators) is not a problem until the last day or two of the cruise. Then the tweens are bored with the pool and other activities so sitting on the steps and playing in the elevators became their new activities. Another problem I noticed (and maybe noone else has) is that they will run through the hall areas where the rooms are and other parts of the ship.

My solution to the stair problem is to say "Excuse me" maybe it is my teacher voice but it always gets results. We try to get cabins that are away from the main hall of a deck. We still enjoy are cruise.

[quote name='kay1864']I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?[/quote]

Are you saying a simple audibe "excuse me" didn't/doesn't work?
I have no advice, as I've never encountered this. I'm not even sure if this post is for real.

[quote name='kay1864']I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?[/QUOTE]

We've been on 6 cruises and have never run into this issue, at least that I made note of. I've always found most people on cruise ships (the vast majority in fact) to be quite polite and accommodating. Of all the things people worry about on cruise ships, this shouldn't be one of them.

[quote name='MrPete']Are you saying a simple audibe "excuse me" didn't/doesn't work?
I have no advice, as I've never encountered this. I'm not even sure if this post is for real.[/quote]

As has been said numerous tims in this thread, "excuse me" does not necessarily work.

[quote name='arush5268d']As has been said numerous tims in this thread, "excuse me" does not necessarily work.[/quote]

I still haven't seen any proof of this. Even the OP is posting based on readsay. If Tim is posting, I haven't seen that either.

Still, I would simply pull out my light sabre.

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/MrPeteLI/stick-star-wars.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='MrPete']I still haven't seen any proof of this. Even the OP is posting based on readsay. If Tim is posting, I haven't seen that either.

Still, I would simply pull out my light sabre.

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/MrPeteLI/stick-star-wars.gif[/IMG][/quote]

Can I be the green one?

I notice the OP avoided the question of when they last cruised Carnival that they want to do this to the kids hanging out. Iv seen kids running up and down the halls. Next time Im getting out my dental floss and running it across so I trip them up with the invisible trip wire.

[quote name='firefly333']I notice the OP avoided the question of when they last cruised Carnival that they want to do this to the kids hanging out. Iv seen kids running up and down the halls. Next time Im getting out my dental floss and running it across so I trip them up with the invisible trip wire.[/QUOTE]

fire, sorry about last night. :o

[quote name='MrPete']Are you saying a simple audibe "excuse me" didn't/doesn't work?
I have no advice, as I've never encountered this. I'm not even sure if this post is for real.[/quote]
Yes, that is indeed what I'm saying. The posters who did encounter this behavior (a few on this very thread) were clear about those sitting on the stairs, who had no intention of moving.

[quote name='kay1864']Yes, that is indeed what I'm saying. The posters who did encounter this behavior (a few on this very thread) were clear about those sitting on the stairs, who had no intention of moving.[/quote]

And didn't move? Quotes, please.

[quote name='firefly333']I notice the OP avoided the question of when they last cruised Carnival that they want to do this to the kids hanging out.[/quote]
Why do I have to have seen this on Carnival myself? I clearly said I [B]read several posts [/B]about it. A few on this very thread. Having actually witnessed it myself is irrelevant to my initial question.

[quote name='kay1864']"Plotting"? No. As I said, looking for clever ideas, in response to problems that [B]several posters [/B]said were problems on their cruises.

I've already indicated that I have no desire to find another set of stairs at the pool. Kindly explain why I should have to take a less-direct route to accommodate rude people sitting on the stairs.[/quote]

I find it awfully strange that you're anticipating the need to find clever ways to circumvent an issue no one here seems to have encountered.

[quote name='MrPete']And didn't move? Quotes, please.[/quote]
Um, no. Either accept my OP about posters on these boards, or don't. If you do, then feel free to reply. If not, why are you wasting your time replying to a made-up post?

[quote name='kay1864']Um, no. Either accept my OP about posters on these boards, or don't. If you do, then feel free to reply. If not, why are you wasting your time replying to a made-up post?[/quote]

Well, I don't. Either put up or shut up.

[quote name='mistyinca']I find it awfully strange that you're anticipating the need to find clever ways to circumvent an issue no one here seems to have encountered.[/quote]
I find it awfully strange that you would make such a claim without reading all of this thread, which clearly you have not.

Archived