NY Parking Question for Recent Gem Cruisers

njhorseman

When we last cruised from NY on the Gem about a year ago, there was construction going on to change the configuration of the ramps leading to the rooftop parking deck. If you dropped your luggage off with the porters at Pier 88 first, you had no way to access the parking deck, and had to drive off and circle back around to park. If you wanted to avoid that you had to immediately drive up to the parking level, and either take your luggage downstairs yourself, of if there happened to be a porter there he would take it. (Obviously I've pieced together information reported by people who did it one way or the other.)

I understand that the construction has been completed. What is the current configuration? Do you drive up to the parking level first, or are you able to drop your luggage off at Pier 88 and then drive up to the parking level directly, or is it something else altogether?

Thanks for your help.

Construction is complete and if you drop your bags on the main level you will still have to go back on 12th ave to re-enter the pier area to park. The ramp at the end is now a down ramp to exit parking. Which means when you return and you want to pick up bags and others on the lower level it is back on to 12th Ave.

The best answer is go direct to parking, pay, let the dog check your car, drop the bags by the elevator, and park. There are porters that come up to the parking level with returning passenger luggage that will help you. If you have a lot of luggage then it is drop on the main level and make the loop.

Construction is complete and if you drop your bags on the main level you will still have to go back on 12th ave to re-enter the pier area to park. The ramp at the end is now a down ramp to exit parking. Which means when you return and you want to pick up bags and others on the lower level it is back on to 12th Ave.

The best answer is go direct to parking, pay, let the dog check your car, drop the bags by the elevator, and park. There are porters that come up to the parking level with returning passenger luggage that will help you. If you have a lot of luggage then it is drop on the main level and make the loop.

Thanks. As we wil only have one bag each plus a carry-on, I thought going directly to the parking level was the best idea, and you have confirmed it.

Can someone tell me if it well indicated where to go for the parking, etc.. If this has all changed i'm worried that our GPS will not be up to date and will guide us incorrectly.

No need to worry - your GPS will get you to the pier, then just look for the big sign that says "Parking". There's also plenty of workers directing traffic, etc. who will help you out :) The easiest thing to do is drive straight up to the parking lot, there are porters there to take your luggage. No need to drop off your luggage amidst the mass confusion of taxis at the drop off area !

No need to worry - your GPS will get you to the pier, then just look for the big sign that says "Parking". There's also plenty of workers directing traffic, etc. who will help you out :) The easiest thing to do is drive straight up to the parking lot, there are porters there to take your luggage. No need to drop off your luggage amidst the mass confusion of taxis at the drop off area !

When we went a few few weeks ago, the man in the booth who was taking the parking money told us that there wouldn't be any porters on the roof. We believed what he said so we turned around and went to the dropoff area where the limos and taxis were dropping people off. My DH dropped me and the luggage off. He then had to drive around to reenter the parking lot on the roof.

After the cruise, a porter did take us directly to the car so I guess porters do go up there, but you can't be certain you'll find a porter when you need one. Just my experience, but it did happen a few weeks ago.

We parked at the pier for the January 24, 2010, Gem cruise. A porter will help you when you disembark but you can't count on a porter when you embark. On a Sunday, there was no traffic so it was easy to make the loop after we dropped off our luggage. We were so close to the elevator that we could have managed our own luggage but you never know that in advance.

Archived