Any babywearers here?

SusieV

I see lots of posts on whether to bring the stroller, but we're considering just bringing a couple of carriers for our son, who will be 14 months old when we cruise. It seems like it would be much easier and less to pack.

Has anyone brought a carrier instead of a stroller? What was your experience with it?

On our first cruise with our then 2 year old son we only brought our Ergo Baby Carrier. It went great! It was a European cruise and we were able to do a lot of walking over cobblestones and on beaches, which would have been almost impossible with a stroller. We did a lot of shore excursion and he would nap in the Ergo Carrier almost every day. Since he weighed quite a lot my husband did most of the carrying... ;-)

On our second cruise with our son (then almost 3 years old) we also brought the Ergo Carrier but didn't use it very often since our son loves to walk. But even then we did use it now and then, especially on some shore trips that lasted many hours.

I see lots of posts on whether to bring the stroller, but we're considering just bringing a couple of carriers for our son, who will be 14 months old when we cruise. It seems like it would be much easier and less to pack.

Has anyone brought a carrier instead of a stroller? What was your experience with it?

It depends on the weather and where you are going. I would rather a worn out child sleep in a stoller than on me, when it is 90 degrees with equally high humidity. I loved my sling, but a stroller also makes it easier to carry all the baby paraphanelia.

Other than that it is a great idea.

I haven't done this becuase my girls are older so it was never a consideration on a cruise, but I think its a great idea. I think baby wearing is so much easier then hauling a stroller everwhere. You won't have to worry about packing a stroller or if a stroller will be easy to navagate at all the ports. I would look into easy to pack carriers such as a mei tai or a moby or maya wrap.

We took our DS to Mexico when he was three months. DH convinced me we didn't need to bring the stoller. We ended up having to take a taxi to Wal-Mart to buy one. The carrier is good for hiking or long walks, but it doesn't replace the stroller. We are taking DS on his tenth cruise (He is now 3.) and we still feel the stroller is a must.

I'm a HUGE advocate of slings- definitely bring one in a lightweight fabric, they even make them in mesh for swimming. My kids always nursed in a maya wrap with the extra fabric covering so people standing next to us wouldn't even know. Made a safe place to lay them down to change a diaper and was a familiar thing to sleep with on vacation.

I'd still bring an umbrella stroller on board so you have it just in case. One with a shade canopy.

Another consideration is your fitness level, how often you wear your baby at home and how much he weighs. If you aren't used to walking long distances in the heat carrying extra weight, then vacation might not be as much fun if you don't have a stroller along.

Have a great cruise:)

It really depends on how comfortable you are carrying your baby. Once my dd was around 7-8 months, she was just too heavy for me. I tried several carriers and they all would hurt after 1/2 hour so. I can definitely see the benefit of having one if you are going to be dealing with uneven sidewalks, cobblestone streets, etc. The nice thing about a stroller though is having a sun shade and a place to put diapers, wipes, sippy cups, shopping bags, etc. We brought a lightweight umbrella stroller with a sun shade on our Mexican cruise and it was great. It rained the entire day in port one day and the stroller cover helped keep her dry. She was also able to nap in there with the seat reclined. I don't think my dd would sleep in a carrier at this age, but your child might.

My son was 14 months on our last cruise and our Ergo carrier was the best thing we packed! He wouldn't nap in the room, but he would in the carrier. I even ate lunch over him one day! I walked back from 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman with him on my back, strollers won't roll on the beach! The only time we used the stroller was at embarkation for my daughter (5 yrs old). This year the stroller is staying home, but the Ergo is a must-pack. Important info: he spent plenty of time in the carrier at home, so we were both used to it before the cruise.

DD spent large portions of her infancy/toddlerhood in various carriers and we (DH and I) and she both loved it. But I know lots of babies who hate the things and lots of moms who just can't carry them as the kids get older.

If your toddler is accustom to carriers and comfortable in them, bring it on. But as others suggested an umbrella stroller in addition to the carrier may be advised.

I used an unpadded Maya wrap (ring sling) and and my husband used an Ergo when we went on a Mexican Riviera cruise with our 15 month old. It was great! She'd happily sit, nap, or nurse in the sling. We did a lot of walking, so it was good that we were used to slinging her for long periods of time. I love the ring sling because it allowed me to shift her around from front to side to back, which gave my muscles a break/change whenever I started to get tired.

If you aren't routinely using carriers now, you should spend lots of time (hours!) getting used to them and making sure your kiddo likes being carried that way.

Have fun on your cruise!

Our first son was 6 months old when we went on our first cruise and we only took a Baby Trekker carrier with us. It was what we were used to at home so it was no problem on the ship.

Our second son was 15 months old when he went on his first cruise and we took the Trekker and an umbrella stroller. One of our ports had a lot of cobblestone streets with lots of steps and little shops and the carrier made it so much easier to navigate. At another port, it was very hot and we opted for the stroller. It was great to have the options.

Although our days of using the carrier are over, (DS's are now 6 & 9), at the time I loved the Baby Trekker because it would distribute baby's weight onto your hips and not all on your shoulders. I could carry my kids for a lot longer than I ever could with a sling or other carrier. http://www.babytrekker.com/

N.

I brought a stroller and a back pack carrier (front and hip carriers are uncomfortable after a long period of time for me now that DS is heavier). I loved having the option of using either. During the day, I'd almost always use the backpack. It was so much nicer taking the stairs than the elevator, easier in port (MUCH easier, actually), and I just felt "freer" in general. In the evening, or if I just want to take a nice walk around the decks during the day, I would use the stroller. Again, this was great when I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere and didn't mind waiting on the elevators. My son would sleep in either one, so that wasn't an issue in deciding for me.

We're planning our first cruise and may bring both my baby K'htan and the carrier that DH uses if we still use them come January (DS will be 2 so it's possible we won't be using them) But, at 14 months I still use my baby khtan every trip to Disney World and places like the state fair. We still bring the stroller, but sometimes DD4 wants to sit and it gives us more options (and takes less room then the double stroller in the car)

I practically wore my daughter for the first 5 months of her life! :) I love, love, love my Moby wrap. She's 18 pounds now (and 11 months old) and I just cannot carry her anymore for more than moderate length of time or distance. Maybe I'm just too lazy! :)

We're taking her on a 7 night Liberty of the Seas cruise in December. She'll be 21 months and I think a stroller is going to be a necessity. It'll be hot. She'll be sweaty. I'll be sweaty. Just doesn't sound like it would make for a happy Mama or baby.

Good question! I am considering bringing some kind of carrier for DS. It seems that a few of our ports will not be stroller-friendly. However, he's not even 5 months old and already 20 pounds so I am not sure what would work comfortably! I'm thinking maybe a backpack type carrier would be best. I do worry about the heat/humidity factor!

We have a Manduca, a Sleepy Wrap, and I just got a Peanut Shell sling so my son is worn pretty frequently. I think we're just about done with the sleepy wrap though since it's a stretchy wrap and not a woven one, and it definitely won't be useful at 14 months.

I am considering picking up an Ergo or Beco before we go since I thought that might be easiest. Guess we'll see how it goes with the carriers we have.

We are going to the Caribbean so I didn't really consider the weather since he's only been worn in cool temps or inside the house. I'll have to try this summer and see if we get too sweaty.

I've always been anti umbrella stroller since they look so cheap and flimsy that they can't be comfortable. We have a Bugaboo Frog so I definitely don't want to bring that and risk it being damaged or stolen (never mind the bulk!). Are there any decent umbrella strollers that are comfortable as well as light and convenient?

I've always been anti umbrella stroller since they look so cheap and flimsy that they can't be comfortable. We have a Bugaboo Frog so I definitely don't want to bring that and risk it being damaged or stolen (never mind the bulk!). Are there any decent umbrella strollers that are comfortable as well as light and convenient?

OH no, no, no! The cheapie $15 umbrella strollers are crap, but there are some awesome umbrella strollers on the market. I recommend a GOOD umbrella stroller. Combi makes several in the less than $100 range, especially if you find last year's model. They are well made, sturdy (they don't tip if you have a bag hanging on the handle), have some full size features (decent sun shade, some recline, have a storage basket, are lightweight, fold very compactly, along with several other features). There are other brands as well, but some are quite pricey. Maclaren makes a nice stroller, but in the past several years they've started manufacturing them in China - some people have complained about declining quality, but most people still like them. They definitely have a higher price tag.

Forgot to mention - I used a sling with my son while hiking in New York State this past summer. Although it wasn't "hot" (maybe mid to upper 70s), my shirt was soaked from the body heat from the two of us. My son was very sweaty too. It wasn't a bad experience, but I personally wouldn't want to carry him in truly hot weather. He was 9 months at the time.

OH no, no, no! The cheapie $15 umbrella strollers are crap, but there are some awesome umbrella strollers on the market. I recommend a GOOD umbrella stroller. Combi makes several in the less than $100 range, especially if you find last year's model. They are well made, sturdy (they don't tip if you have a bag hanging on the handle), have some full size features (decent sun shade, some recline, have a storage basket, are lightweight, fold very compactly, along with several other features). There are other brands as well, but some are quite pricey. Maclaren makes a nice stroller, but in the past several years they've started manufacturing them in China - some people have complained about declining quality, but most people still like them. They definitely have a higher price tag.

Might want to check the second-hand kids stores (once upon a baby kind of places) for a gently used, good quality umbrella stroller.

DH and I are both quite tall and spent a bit of time finding a stroller that fit US (so many have such short handles!)

We actually have a really nice umbrella stroller for our daughter.

Here's the link:http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/strollers/ct06-capri/ct06-capri-seventies.aspx

I want to say it was around $60 or so on sale at Babies R Us. It comes with a carrying bag. We've been very happy with it. It's even got a little storage hammock underneath it for little things. Maclaren makes some nice umbrella strollers too, but they are more expensive.

We are still talking about umbrella stroller vs. regular stroller. I guess it depends on what we decide to do for excursions.

what is the weight limit on ergo carriers?

The recommended use is 40 pounds; however, it has been tested to 90 pounds. One of the other benefits for the baby/child is that their weight isn't placed on their crotch. Instead, they are in a "sitting" position so their weight is better distributed making it much more comfortable and "ergonomically" correct (probably where they get their name?). This is a huge reason for baby wearers preference over other type carriers. Also, they are so incredibly simple to use. I don't have one (didn't find out about them until my 3rd baby (and last!) was several months old - didn't know if I wanted to spend the money (they're a little pricey - $100 and up); however, I do regret my decision. :(

Also want to add that there is a "sport" model for those in warmer climates. :)

You can find a lot more info on ergobabycarrier.com.

Archived