Roll Call - Silver Wind 2018 - 6/4/10 - Athens to Istanbul Black Sea Cruise

jpalbny

• 2 weeks later...
We're taking this cruise for our anniversary - anyone else sailing with us? First time on one of the "regular" SS ships. :)

Yes, we will be sailing with you. Spending a couple of days in Athens before and in Istanbul after. We're first time cruisers :D, although we are sailing with friends who are SS veterans and ther friends also.

Hi NJ Cruiserman - what a way to do your first cruise!

We've done Athens a couple of times prior to Med cruises - it's really nice. Though in June it may be a touch warm, and more crowded than we've experienced (we've been there in April and November). The ancient historical sites are really impressive, and we found it walkable in a day (albeit a very full day). Most people speak enough English so you can get by on your own.

Unfortunately we don't have any time for extra days pre or post this cruise... We have never been to Istanbul and would have loved to spend some extra time - have to dip our toes this time and return later for more, I guess! At least we have one day in port prior to disembarkation.

I have never been on a regular SS ships - just their expedition ship the Prince Albert II. But if they are anything like the PA II, then I think we are all in for a real treat! See you in a few months.

Love Istanbul -- one of the best cities in the world. And if you're in Old Town, go visit the jewelry store at the Four Seasons and ask for Adil and tell him Hope & Barry say hello.

• 3 weeks later...
jpalbny-

We had dinner with friends last night, and found that they were on the Tahitian Princess cruise with you last August. (Saw it in your signature). Look forward to meeting you.

Too funny! That Transatlantic cruise is one of my all time favorites. We were almost ready to go back to Iceland for 10 days on our own, rent a car, and circumnavigate the island for our trip in June of this year. Instead, this Black Sea cruise opportunity came up and we decided on that instead. Less driving and maybe more time for relaxing.

Goes to show that the old saw that "it's OK to make a fool of yourself" on your cruise because "you'll never see any of these people again" is completely not true. We have run into many people from past cruises in our subsequent travels - some of whom we actually remember - and it's really neat to meet again. Hope your friends remember us well, if they do...:eek: I wonder if we met them.

• 4 weeks later...

@NJ Cruiserman - thanks for the update. Would have been funny if we had crossed paths with your friends. There were 3 similar TA itineraries in August last year. We were 8/12 - 8/30; there was one sailing before us, and one after... So it's also possible they were on another sailing.

See you in 6 weeks, as long as E. behaves itself... Not really in shape for swimming to Athens!

• 4 weeks later...
We haven't received our docs yet, jpalbny. Did you get yours from your TA or direct from SS?

Just moved my reply here to keep the other thread on topic...

The docs came directly from SS. They seem a bit erratic with document delivery though; last time for our PAII sailing, they went to the agent's "home" office in LA (she's in Miami), and almost got lost before the home office sent them to us.

There isn't really much that you'd absolutely need in the documents though it's nice to get them. If they don't arrive soon, give your TA a call and have them check with SS to see where they went.

Be careful in Athens; last I heard they were rioting in Syntagma Square, which is a shame because that's right by the Parliament building and a beautiful park. It's also where the Grand Bretagne (favorite hotel) is located. We arrive in ATH the morning of the cruise, and I think this time we'll just go to Piraeus and hang out there for a few hours.

See you soon!

Be careful in Athens; last I heard they were rioting in Syntagma Square, which is a shame because that's right by the Parliament building and a beautiful park. It's also where the Grand Bretagne (favorite hotel) is located. We arrive in ATH the morning of the cruise, and I think this time we'll just go to Piraeus and hang out there for a few hours.

See you soon!

We're staying at the Grand Bretagne for 2 nights so we'll have a front row seat if there are any new demonstrations at Parliament. I'm not concerned about riots as it seemed to be a small rogue element last week, and having gone through college in the late 1960's they don't faze me. I'm more concerned about the possibility of a strike closing the airport or Piraeus. My wife and I will be celebrating significant birthday's on board so we'll celebrate your anniversary too.

• 2 weeks later...
@NJ Cruiserman-

Well, if it's not a strike or a riot, we have to worry about strange things happening in Greece: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_wl2271

On a separate note, did your documents arrive yet? You must be leaving early next week - hope you have a great time in Athens. We will see you on board.

Yes we've heard about the frogs, but they're probably no worse than the squirrels and rabbits in my backyard.

My office manager is from a large Greek family and her mother and daughter spend summers there. She's been keeping in touch with relatives over there and they say all is calm.

We did receive our documents 5/25, although the TA says SS sent them to him earlier but he didn't receive them.

Look forward to meeting you onboard.

Hi All

sorry to butt in but if you are looking to see the newest in ruins/relics and artifacts in Athens visit the new Acroplis Museum. It opened last year and is phenomenal. You can look through the floors and see the excavations. It is worth the time..

www.acropolismuseum.gr

Hope you enjoy the cruise. we are on SS for the 1st time in march 2011. I would appreciate yoiur comments and insider tips about the Silverwind.

Enjoy

:D

We won't have time to get to the new Acropolis museum this trip as we're flying in the morning of the cruise. It was SUPPOSED to be open the last time we were in Athens but no such luck!

We may somnambulate around Piraeus for a few hours if all goes well, but not planning anything more that that... The archaeological museum is closed for renovations, according to the web, but the Hellenic Naval museum may be interesting for an hour or 2. :)

Archived